Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: module request - cs chatback  (Read 5680 times)

Bynw

module request - cs chatback
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:15:59 PM »

I am wondering if anyone would be able to create a module that would allow a user to give a /cs command like /cs chatback #channel
and of course add it into the /cs set commands (if possible).

The module would allow a user to get the last few minutes of text that has transpired in the chat ... maybe up to the last 15 minutes. That way when they join a channel with a conversation already in progress they just need to do the /cs chatback #channel command and then services will notice them back with the last 15 minutes or so of chat in that channel so the user knows what is happening.

Thanks

(i would also like to have it in the windows dll format for version 1.7.21)

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:42:16 PM »

considering that anope currently does no logging of channel content whatsoever, this wouldn't be a very easy thing to implement, not even mentioning the huge amount of resources that would be required to accomplish this.
Storing the data in memory is no option so anope would constantly have to read/write to disk. Doing this for even a few dozen very active channels would add a serious amount of overhead and also make services much more vulnerable to flooding.

Though the idea is interesting, personally i don't think this is something services should be doing..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »

Not to mention the additional requirement that a BotServ bot would have to be present in the channel for Anope to even receive the message to be able to log it in the first place.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Bynw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »

Alright ... Thanks for the info on that. I'm sure it can be done another way.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »

eggdrop might be an alternative solution.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:14:47 PM »

There are also moral and possibly legal ramifications to this as well. In many countries it's illegal to record conversations (written or voice) without all participants being aware and even some of the more relaxed laws still require at least 1 person to know.

Logging channel messages can be considered spying and is frowned upon in most places and some users will leave and not return for it. If you don't want to miss any part of a conversation then stay connected 24/7
Pages: [1]   Go Up