Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 suggestions to akick and access list  (Read 6164 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ups

  • Anope User
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
2 suggestions to akick and access list
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:26:47 AM »

Hi, I have 2 suggestions that will make the using of ChanServ "Safier".

1) When a user is afected by a ban on akick list, that user shoudn't be able to use /ChanServ unban command.

Example:
   nick1 as access 5 and is "akicked" on #chan1
   When nick1 tries to use the command /ChanServ unban #chan1, will receive a message like that: "ChanServ - You can't use /ChanServ unban command while afected by akick, try to remove yourself first from akick list (/Chanserv Help Akick)"

2) Anyone should be able to remove the onw nickame from access list. (Except if nick is afected by autodeop).

Example:
   nick2 as access 3 on #chan2
   But nick2 shoud be able to use the command /ChanServ access #chan2 del nick2.
Logged

Jobe

  • Contributor
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1023
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:48:35 AM »

So for 1) you would like to garuntee that if a user gains control oof your channel even you wont be able to unban yourself to get back in? Take this scenario: You own a channel, some other user without access figures out your chaneserv password and akicks you, then you have no way to unban yourself to get back in. Another scenario: you give access to someone you believe you can trust, they then akick you, how do you get back in?

2) has been suggested many times and taken into consideration as far as I know.

[Edited on 8-7-2007 by Jobe1986]
Logged
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

katsklaw

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 12:50:50 PM »

1> I think you are under the impression that /cs unban removes akicks, it doesn't. Any user with access to the akick list can already remove their own akick. However, anyone issuing the /cs unban command only remove the channel ban, not the akick entry. So when the person rejoins the channel they will be kick/banned again for being on the akick list. If the user continues to unban and rejoin, simply remove them from the xOP/access list because they obviously don't respect your wishes.

2> it has been suggested many times, I personally have requested it a few times. I'm thinking about creating a module that will allow this but I have other projects that have a higher priority.

3> Your example is also flawed since access level 5 (aop) by default can not access the akick command. You need level 10 (sop) by default to use it.

If you want your channel to be "safer" disable the xOP system and change the access level of unban to the same as akick. That way access to unban is based on access level and not a users hostmask, which can be changed easily.
Logged

ups

  • Anope User
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 01:35:45 PM »

Quote
Originally posted by katsklaw
1> I think you are under the impression that /cs unban removes akicks, it doesn't. Any user with access to the akick list can already remove their own akick. However, anyone issuing the /cs unban command only remove the channel ban, not the akick entry. So when the person rejoins the channel they will be kick/banned again for being on the akick list. If the user continues to unban and rejoin, simply remove them from the xOP/access list because they obviously don't respect your wishes.


I know /cs unban doesn't remove akick's, but that removes the ban from the channel and if the user rejoins the channel, he will be kicked and banned by chanserv, and... use again the command /cs unban and join  the channel again, it's that type of flood that i want to stop. :)

Quote
Originally posted by katsklaw
3> Your example is also flawed since access level 5 (aop) by default can not access the akick command. You need level 10 (sop) by default to use it.


That was my objective. If someone does't have access to change the akick list, that one shouldn't be able to use /cs unban while in akick list. (if she/he isn't akicked the /cs unban will word normally)

For some reason a level 10 wants to ban a level 5, but the founder has changed the level acc-change to 15. The level 10 is unable to stop the level 5 from "rejoin".

Quote
Originally posted by Jobe1986
So for 1) you would like to garuntee that if a user gains control oof your channel even you wont be able to unban yourself to get back in? Take this scenario: You own a channel, some other user without access figures out your chaneserv password and akicks you, then you have no way to unban yourself to get back in. Another scenario: you give access to someone you believe you can trust, they then akick you, how do you get back in?


I will remove the ackick that afect me and then join the channel.

Quote
Originally posted by katsklaw
If you want your channel to be "safer" disable the xOP system and change the access level of unban to the same as akick. That way access to unban is based on access level and not a users hostmask, which can be changed easily.


Make sense, but why should someone use /cs unban , if that one is in akick list? and will get banned and kicked the next time that he will join the channel? :)
(The flood that is caused bu automatically scripts is useless, since they will always get kick and banned)

If a user has access to the akick list, is simple, /cs akick #chan list, /cs akick #chan del, and then /cs unban. If don't /ms send founder

My only objective is forbid the /cs unban to the users that are in akick list.

Tks for your time :)
Logged

katsklaw

  • Guest
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »

Quote

I know /cs unban doesn't remove akick's, but that removes the ban from the channel and if the user rejoins the channel, he will be kicked and banned by chanserv, and... use again the command /cs unban and join the channel again, it's that type of flood that i want to stop.


Then remove their access ... full stop.

Quote

Make sense, but why should someone use /cs unban , if that one is in akick list? and will get banned and kicked the next time that he will join the channel?
(The flood that is caused bu automatically scripts is useless, since they will always get kick and banned)


Because /cs unban and /cs akick are NOT related commands! /cs unban works with the ircd, akick works with services. You are asking to create a way to prevent an akicked op from using /cs unban, that would need to be based on the akicked hostname and as I said earlier, it's WAY too easy to change your hostmask to start with. Your suggestion is NOT safer than what is already available. Plus it's very easy to bypass. In fact, I can bypass your suggestion faster than it took you to suggest it.

Quote

For some reason a level 10 wants to ban a level 5, but the founder has changed the level acc-change to 15. The level 10 is unable to stop the level 5 from "rejoin".


That's the founder's prerogative. IF the founder wishes to stop ops from unbanning themselves then the founder can change the access level of unban to a level higher than 10 or disable it completely.

[Edited on 8-7-2007 by katsklaw]
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up