Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: services/modules/runtime what is this folder ?  (Read 5074 times)

EZEki3l

services/modules/runtime what is this folder ?
« on: October 01, 2006, 10:01:59 PM »

hello

Can somebody explain to me what is the use of this folder and it's normal that it takes 160 Mb or more ? on a shell half of my disk quotas are in services/modules/runtime

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 10:26:22 PM »

When Anope loads its modules it usually copies them to that folder and loads them from there. The reason for this is so you can upgrade any module without shuting down Anope. Normally when Anope is shutdown the tempory copies in the runtime directory normally get removed but obviously for some reason or another Anope hasnt had the chance to remove them a few times.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 05:15:57 PM »

If that directory is getting too huge, you can shutdown anope and then safely remove all files in there. Don't ever try to remove them when anope is running tho; it'll crash unexpectedly.

EZEki3l

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 07:39:50 PM »

thank you very much I know finally why my quota was always full and I can now add files and programs on my shell :)

GhosT

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »

Originally posted by EZEki3l
thank you very much I know finally why my quota was always full and I can now add files and programs on my shell :)

Yes, i ever encountered that once too. I wondered why my quota reached nearly 3GB when i have only Anope and Unreal, at last i found there are tons of files in /runtime :9~

EZEki3l

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:40:12 PM »

yes anope never remove this files :s and I don't know if this thing is reported in doc

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »

Anope does (now) remove them, however, in the event of a crash, they will not be removed.

( iirc unreal et al. do the same thing only in /tmp/ )

FriedCPU

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »

Hi,
I hope you dont mind me digging up an old topic, But it appears this is an ongoing problem.

I have been running anope 1.7.18 for 30days and the datafiles/modules/runtime dir has reached 84GB (good job i am on my own dedicated server)

Is there anyway to make it auto delete, or do i have to shutdown services every week and manually delete it?

* edit: i am on debian 3.1, kernel 2.6.19.2 SMP
any help would be great.

[Edited on 3-5-2007 by FriedCPU]

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »

Not at all, anope will only ever create a new file in the runtime folder when a module is loaded - this is usually the case at startup when all modules are loaded for you.  

In a pretty default configuration anope will create about 5.5 meg in the runtime folder when you run it (figure taken from anope's irc network services)

With this in mind, If you've managed to get to 84 gig in 30 days from a clean start, you must be re-starting anope around 478 times a day, each day, for a whole month.  This would lead me to believe there are more problems involved here.  

If possible can you provide a list of modules you use, your current services uptime and if you still have it, the reason for your last services shutdown? (it may well be in your old services log files)

On top of that, since this case is so extreme, would you be able to monitor the folder size on a daily basis (in your example case a hourly basis should show noticable changes in folder size) along with the logfile entries for that period? so we can see what is going on?

FriedCPU

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 05:44:16 PM »

Hey, thanks for your response.

I think I have figured out whats going on, in 2days, it has built up 40gb.

With you saying that it would of have to be restarted 478times a day. I think its the crontab thats doing it. I am wiping the folder now, removed the crontab, and going
to monitor the situation over the next couple of days.

I have setup the crontab as described in the file that comes in the src, it checks every 5mins.

Will keep you posted.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »

Originally posted by FriedCPU
I have setup the crontab as described in the file that comes in the src, it checks every 5mins.

That would still only be 288 times unless you have a crap load of modules there is still some inconsistancies.

Also, if I'm not mistaken you can delete the modules in the runtime directory even if it's running, no promises though.

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »

You can delete the unused ones, but how do you know which ones are unused? ;) Deleting modules in use would break services at an unexpected moment without a clue as to where the bug occurred.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 01:06:09 PM »

Originally posted by GeniusDex
You can delete the unused ones, but how do you know which ones are unused? ;) Deleting modules in use would break services at an unexpected moment without a clue as to where the bug occurred.

ok so that isn't a good solution.

Personally I think that it should be taken off of cron, shutdown, runtimes deleted then started without cron. Let it run that way for a few days. Then check the runtimes folder size. If all looks normal then it will have to be something with the crontab script it's self.
Pages: [1]   Go Up