Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gline on traceroute match  (Read 7678 times)

Wintermute

gline on traceroute match
« on: June 17, 2006, 09:33:21 AM »

On our Server we have trouble with a guy. The Chatserver is mainly used by german, swiss and austrian people.
The Problem: The guy's ISP is T-Online, one of the biggest providers in germany, so glining the ISP mask isn't an solution. He switches his IP regulary so banning his IP isn't an option either.
A Tracert on his IP reveals his nearest hop of the t-online infrastructure is used by no one else on our server.
I think we aren't alone with such problems, and my idea about a possible solution looks like this:

A module that traceroute's back and glines an ip if it matches a list of strings. As it would cause some hefty load on some servers, it would be a good idea to make some first place decisions WHEN to trace. For example if the hostmask matches some given strings and/or if the user enters predefined channels.

My coding skills are .. well .. let's talk about something else ;)
So my question: might someone out there be interested in the topic and code such an anope module? I'm really sure it would also help other opers, too.

HCN

reply: gline on traceroute match
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:38:03 PM »

This problem can easy be solved by doing what most Networks do, and contacting the persons ISP to report the abuse. That way they'll no doubt give the person a static ip address so you can ban him/her from the Network. :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:45:34 AM »

What IRCd are you using? And by the trouble you are having him what exactly do you mean he is doing?

Because if you are using UnrealIRCd and the trouble is something like spamming a message you may be able to use UnrealIRCd's spamfilters.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Wintermute

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 08:30:41 AM »

Never heard about german telekom/t-online giving an static IP, but i could try.

The user is harrasing other users in query and in the channels, is playing around with fake identities and provokes quarrels between other users by gaining and giving information about each other in the most unpleasant way .. well .. such things. As the server is small (around 200-300 chatter) and because of the topics and so on the guy is really a pain.

FiXato

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:45:19 AM »

*coughs* T-Online is known for being unsupportive *coughs*
You could try reporting to abuse... but unless you have a personal contact there... I give you little hope of success..
the only way they've been known to react to abuse reports, is when they got complaints from a large number of their users because an IRC Network banned their isp-mask.

As for the idea, it sounds interesting, but shouldn't it be more of an IRCd function, so you can put the connection 'on hold' while the tracert is done?

I take it he is smart enough to change his GeCOS/RealName and ident as well?
Else an ident ban or an /OS SGLINE might help.

[Edited on 2006.7.25 by FiXato]

Wintermute

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:54:01 AM »

Sadly his ident, realname etc. changes randomly. Nothing besides the on last hop before his own networknode is identical. Ok, the irc-client is .. but i can't ban mIRC 6.17 without cutting of many users :)

Thinking about your IRCd argumentation: yeah, your probably right. Didn't think about that. But i guess the unrealircd guys wouldn't be very interested in such things.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:25:49 AM »

Actually i think the UnrealIRCd guys would be interested in the idea.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up