Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Module autobuild  (Read 5073 times)

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
Module autobuild
« on: June 22, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »

How often is the win32 module autobuild scripts run?

http://modules.anope.org/index.php?page=view&id=223 still doesn't have one after almost a month.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
Re: Module autobuild
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:54:09 PM »

On release, so it was 10 days late for inclusion on 1.8.6.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »

looks like every module released after at least may 4, 11 is missing an autobuild.

So module src released after the version release are SOL on the autobuild?

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:01:17 PM »

For now yes, because the process isn't entirely automated end to end.

Given it's a step forward from the old situation of tough luck if you didn't have the skills to compile for yourself I don't see it as a show stopper, merely a limitation.

If there is a demand, it can be advanced but if not, and this is the first time I've seen it raised I don't see a direct need for it.

Can you point to those not having an autobuild from before the release, I'd be interested in finding out why they were missed.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »

well as you said, they were released after 1.8.6 so they missed whatever process you have in place.

Indeed, the current solution is better than the old one for sure. Wasn't complaining there. Perhaps it's possible to put a button on the mod authors side that will trigger a compile for that specific module for the current release?

I can also see another solution as if the autobuild is missing, have a link for anyone interested in compiling a dll to either contact the author with a semi autofilled form with the ability to attach files. Perhaps restrict file types to dll and/or compressed files (zip/7z/rar) or use the authors nick as a mailto link with the subject autofilled with the module name so a forum thread doesn't need to be created for users to contact authors. The latter is likely the cheapest/easiest.

I can see a scenario where a module update is released to fix a major bug and the autobuild version is going to be the only win32 release until the next anope release, which could take months. That will leave the buggy/exploitable win32 version in the open for authors like myself that depend on the autobuild system.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:06:25 PM »

Couple of things on this:

1) The autobuild isn't on linux (for obvious reasons) so a button won't be 'easy' and licensing on windows makes hosting it up there interesting.
2) If the author releases a security release perhaps they should be providing a windows version if they expect windows users will use it.

I agree, on 2) we could help by compiling more often but due to 1) it's not easy to automate.

I will have a think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up