Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MODULE REQUEST: NS CS Bigger Expire Time Calculated By Reg Time  (Read 6796 times)

demon

• Anope User
MODULE REQUEST: NS CS Bigger Expire Time Calculated By Reg Time
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:37:28 PM »

Module that will change the algorithm of a nick/chan expiration! What i mean the expiration time for all new nicks will be the one setted on the conf file (for example 35 days). That for newly registered nicks like 1 Year.. For Those nicks/chans that are registered for 1+ year the expiration time would be longer such as 2xthe-days-set-on-conf, for nicks/chans that are registered for 2+ years would be 3xthe-days-set-on-conf etc etc etc..

That would be both for NS and CS

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:06:06 PM »

all nicks should have the same expiration time or you will end up with users asking you why nick123 is special and gets 1 year when they are stuck as 21 days. Not to mention the pointless increase in resource usage on services.

[Edited on 19-12-2006 by katsklaw]

demon

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:35:02 PM »

Again is a module.. not a core code!..
But also if i was a user for 10 years in a network and wasnt available for some health reasons to connect to that net for 21 days i wouldnt like my nick to be dropped and registered for someone else.. just that.. it has to do with the respect we show to users that support us for long time.. nothing more nothing less.. the damn lamer who just join the net.. would probably also ask: give me an oline i am 1238123 years in irc and i like it very much and i spend 12389423984 hours per week in it.. so that is a way to show someone that we are here and respect you for your long time being on our network.. if someone have problem why that special action on that nick because lamer that nick have been there for years... you just came here!!! simple as that!

Thanks

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 10:42:17 PM »

I see your point, what I don't see is the cost of the feature is worth having the feature. You see, everything services does costs something, usually this is in system resrources, be it CPU, RAM disk space or bandwidth.

IF this person spent 10 years with the same nick and it shows in their /ns info that they have been registered for 10 years, then the staff can set the nick to not expire (/ns saset NOEXPIRE on) out of respect for the users loyalty. this will preserve the nick and at the same time not cost any more resources than adding an extra flag to the users account. Which is a better solution all around than your suggestion.

[Edited on 19-12-2006 by katsklaw]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 12:25:30 AM »

hard one here... i don't know enough C to accurately estmate how much extra resources this would require, but i must say i find this a very interesting feature...

note that i said feature... this cannot be accomplished by a module since it s the core that checks for expired nicks and that cannot (as far as i am aware at least) be overriden...
and since it would have to be added to the core, it depends on how many people would want/use this and whether the extra load wouldn't be too big, but i don't think it should be more then a simple math expression...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

demon

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 12:31:28 AM »

i dont know c but as i think it is around 5-10 lines code.. calculate everything in months and if is registered more than 12 months edit the expire (months mod 12) x set-of-time-in-conf so i think is not too hard to be made..

Thanks

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 01:05:10 PM »

The whole point of expiration of nicks and channels is so if they go unused for the specified time in the config someone else can register and use them.

As time goes by some people will use their nicks less and less to the point the nick expires. The way you seem to want it they could use their nick less and less and it would basically never expire. So why not just use /msg NickServ saset NICK noexpire on for all nicks.

[Edited on 20-12-2006 by Jobe1986]
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

demon

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 04:49:22 PM »

Jobe1986 is a kind of respect as i said.. i am a user for 10 years and because i cant connect for 20 days my nick expires.. is that fair? dont think so.. There are toooo many users like those users in nets.. you can put all of them noexpire .. you dont even know those nicks.. only if someone come and tell you i cant connect for a month put my nick noexpire.. hello opers have much better things to do.. so it would be better to long the expire time of a nick by the registration time..

Thanks

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 05:02:44 PM »

Code: [Select]
-NickServ- Nicknames that are not used anymore are subject to
-NickServ- the automatic expiration, i.e. they will be deleted
-NickServ- after 60 days if not used.

That's an extract from /MSG NickServ HELP

You can know when you last logged in (via /ns info if you'd like) and then calculate yourself when your nick expires; if you really care, you can already find it....

demon

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 07:02:56 PM »

GeniusDex probably you are giving an answer about another module i suggest about the expire to be shown in the whois.. Here we dont have to do if someone knows when his nick expires but have to do with the longer expire time for some old nicks.. the saset noexpire thing as i said cant work as there could be hundreds of users that are old enough in a network.. the thing i am asking is too simple to discuss it so much.. its a simple algorithm to put a (months mod 12) x the-expire-time-of-nicks .. is someone have time.. like it.. want it.. make it..

Thanks

(please for all my suggestions!! because i bored to say the same things are all suggestions and none said that you HAVE or you MUST do them.. if someone like those suggestions make them.. that easy.. dont say its useful is pointless.. its your opinion maybe there are 128947129847 people out there found it useful.. if you like it do it..)

heinz

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 09:23:34 PM »

Discussion of ideas and possible alternatives and weaknesses, is welcomed. Anyone is free to post comments about your ideas if they so wish.

demon

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 11:18:30 AM »

heinz yes in the way you dont make others feel stupid if use that module :) i think that the too many features,the too many modules and the too many abilities of the Anope Services make them so popular.... i just suggest some things that i have heard all those years i have been in irc.. i dont have a network.. dont interested in having one.. and dont gone use any of those modules i suggest... but as i am in 15 networks at the moment and i see opinions and needs of users i find it right to make posts here :)

Thanks

BlackDragon

• Anope User
  • Hellenic Administrator
    • Hellenic
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »

or at least have a CLOSER and RELIABLE friend of yours, to identify to your nick from time to time, so that the nick never expires when you are away for HEALTH reasons...

So @#%^#% Simple ;)

SpaceDoG

• Anope User
    • http://www.hypermutt.net
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 03:36:30 PM »

Wouldn't it be possible to tie something like this into the logon of the module? Granted that would probably require a core change but if something like this was to be done wouldn't that be the best? Have it set so that when a user logs in to a nick the experation time is calculated or when the user's session is dropped from nickserv the new time is calculated? I think it all really just depends on how anope presently determines this information...
Pages: [1]   Go Up