Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting a channel for opers-join only  (Read 9861 times)

topdog

Setting a channel for opers-join only
« on: June 04, 2006, 03:39:03 AM »

hello,
I'm trying to set a channel so that only opers can join. right now, mlock is set as: +nrstO. I'm using the latest development version of Anope 1.7.14.

SpaceDoG

• Anope User
    • http://www.hypermutt.net
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 04:05:02 AM »

That's a channel that only opers can join... what exactly is it that you're trying to do? Seems to me you've already got it setup.

topdog

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 04:53:15 AM »

odd? Because non-opers can still join for some reason if they know the channel name.

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 05:01:32 AM »

If the channel is +O and they still join that is an ircd issue.. Anope gets the JOIN/SJOIN after the fact of the user joining so modes should be enforced by the ircd.

If your complaining that although the channel is mlocked to +O and everyone leaves the channel a normal user can join the channel and then Anope sets the mode of +O, this is a long standing issue that has been debated over and over.

If Anope was to mode enforce the channel, it would remove the user, and at some point of sitting chanserv or a botserv bot in there, they too would just leave the channel and your back to square one again.
my God my tourniquet, return to me salvation

SpaceDoG

• Anope User
    • http://www.hypermutt.net
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 07:25:10 AM »

If I'm correct in assuming that you're using Unreal there is a config option where you can set a channel to be an official channel. When doing this the channel should be kept open with all modes still in place. What you need to do is be in the channel make sure +O is on and try to have a regular user join. You can also set the channel to be restricted (you have to be in the access list to join) to only your opers or those you want in there. Yes people can still join for a split second but all they get is a list of people in there and possibly 1 line of chat.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 01:15:01 PM »

Ive found the simplest way to prevent a non-oper from join such a channel is simply to use /msg ChanServ SET #channelname RESTRICTED ON That way only users on the access list for the channel and IRCops can join. Well if anyone disagrees that works on my network. Any user who is not on the access list for #opers or who has is not an IRCop who tries to join the channel when it is empty is kicked by ChanServ and banned for a short time.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 03:52:06 PM »

Originally posted by Jobe1986
Ive found the simplest way to prevent a non-oper from join such a channel is simply to use /msg ChanServ SET #channelname RESTRICTED ON That way only users on the access list for the channel and IRCops can join. Well if anyone disagrees that works on my network. Any user who is not on the access list for #opers or who has is not an IRCop who tries to join the channel when it is empty is kicked by ChanServ and banned for a short time.

This method requires you to add users to the access list .. unlike chanmode +O (opers only) which is why the mode was created.

Keeping in mind not all ircds have chanmode +O but for those that do .. it is definately easier than managing an access list.

Another alternative for ircds without chanmode +O is to use chanmode +i and have users/opers invite themselves in. Select non-opered users can then gain access to the channel by having CS invite them. This method not only allows some flexibility over chanmode +O but it has the advantage of not having a banlist as would be created with restricted set to on.

Setting the chanmode +s is also helpful by keeping the channel off the chanel list. Using an obscure channel name will lower the probability of accidental joins as well.

[Edited on 4-6-2006 by katsklaw]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 04:50:51 PM »

Originally posted by topdog
odd? Because non-opers can still join for some reason if they know the channel name.

a  little note...  it may be possible for regular users to join a channel with channelmode +O if there are TS desyncs on the network....
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 04:57:26 PM »

Originally posted by katsklaw
This method requires you to add users to the access list .. unlike chanmode +O (opers only) which is why the mode was created.

Have tried it using Anope 1.7.14 using an "un-registered" nick after using /oper and can get in WITHOUT being kicked. But registered uses not on the access list who havnt used /oper or normal users who again havnt used /oper cant get in.

Thats how it works on my network.

An alternative is if you are using UnrealIRCd then you can always add something like the following to your unrealircd.conf file (Note:this must be included in the unrealircd.conf file for all servers connected to the network to be effective.):
deny channel {
   channel "#opers";
   reason "Op's ONLY!";
   warn on;
};

Without that i get:
* You were kicked from #opers by C (You are not permitted to be on this channel.)

and with it i get:
-alpha.invictachat.co.uk- *** Can not join #opers: Op's ONLY!

And thats when the channel is empty.

[Edited on 4-6-2006 by Jobe1986]
My IRC Status:

topdog

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »

ok here's the deal.
Firstly, I've found out that if I do /cs set mlock #channame +modes, (the modes won't stick). if I do just /cs set mmlock +modes, they stick. I firstly set /mode #channame +s and then did, /cs set mlock +stO, then I did what was said earlier to deny the channel in the config, but also re-directed to another channel so things are fine.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 05:37:59 PM »

Originally posted by topdog
I've found out that if I do /cs set mlock #channame +modes, (the modes won't stick).

It's supposed to be /cs set #channame mlock +modes. You got #channame and mlock the wrong way round.
My IRC Status:

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 07:03:08 PM »

Have tried it using Anope 1.7.14 using an "un-registered" nick after using /oper and can get in WITHOUT being kicked. But registered uses not on the access list who havnt used /oper or normal users who again havnt used /oper cant get in.

I know all this. I never said your way wouldn't work ... I said it isn't the most efficient because you have an access list and a banlist to worry about. With chanmode +O you have neither one, thus more efficient.

Another more efficient way is to have an obscure channel name for opers to hang out in ... like say ##!!0p3rs then set the chanmode +p ... I'd be willing to bet that you won't get any users accidently joining unless some oper told them about the channel in which case you can also use chanmode +i. Having an obscure channel name and using modes +ip is also more efficient than restricting the channel because again .. there is no banlist or access list to maintain .. plus it's enforced without services being online.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 09:38:38 PM »

The only problem with the obscure name and modes is it would also need to be banned in the config file to prevent anyone from joining the channel when its empty. Or alternativly set up a bot to make sure there is always somone in there. It doesnt need to have to be able to do anything just needs to be in the channel because opers with the overide flag can op themself in the channel.
My IRC Status:

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 09:54:53 PM »

well everything has it's pros and cons .. it just depends on what is acceptable to you. Personally I don't use a channel for opers to idle in. /ChatOps and /GlobOps work just fine ;)

To be honest, in my 10 years as an IRCop I've never seen this topic as a problem.

Anyway, I've said my 2 cents worth ... so ciao. :)

kat
Pages: [1]   Go Up