Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OffSite Database Backups  (Read 4095 times)

Taylor

• Contributor
OffSite Database Backups
« on: June 27, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »

I'm just sitting here thinking.  I personally download my Database backups/logs/etc. right after they backup sometime after midnight.  I know all should do this... its a given.  But I've seen nets that didn't download the backups or the ones they have download them but they are old and lost alot of data.  It might be a nice idea to have a module that can upload the Databases to a Remote Server via FTP, you could set the module to upload right along with regular backing up.  This would also save trouble for nets, cause sometimes your doing more important things than downloading the databases and you forget... Like I have once or twice.  Or you don't have the chance to get online for a day cause of real life issues or other various things.  I've done that quite often. Or there is always the possibility you do download them nightly and your computer crashes.. HDD wiped or something similiar.  Just a neat idea I think I had.  Could also be put into core one day if its in demand enough.   Leave your thoughts and someone maybe make it for me and others that would appreciate this module.

Regards,
Taylor

Edit: I'm using 1.8.0 :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:21:03 AM by cronus »
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
Re: OffSite Database Backups
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »

I suspect the problem here would be the time taken to process this upload locking anope for the duration as it's a single thread.

That said, my advice to all would be an rsync script to push/pull differences each x(period of time) between several boxes.

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 05:40:27 AM »

Gah didn't even think about it being single threaded....,  and I have no idea what an rsync script is i'll google and figure out doubt i'll ever be able to do something with it though...  But still my idea is win? lol
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:42:48 AM »

Make Anope multihreaded then yes! :D Else you'll literally freeze Anope until it finished backing up. :/

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:45:37 AM »

Amanda makes one hell of a compelling argument, you must agree :P
Multithreaded FTW!!!!
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up