Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version Issues  (Read 7555 times)

Kaoru

Version Issues
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:31:22 PM »

I have no idea when Anope was started, and from what I hear Anope is Epona's "decendant" so maybe I should be thinking of Epona...

Whatever the case, it seems to me like there should be different versions of Anope which support different operating systems. I know Anope has never really worked properly on Win98... but isn't it possible to make a version that will?

Although I've spoken to chaz, and if I get it working on 98, I'll be sending telling him how I did it, he'll probably get the word out...

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:28:54 PM »

I think the easiest solution would be recompiling it on win98, but i doubt we'll ever support this officially. First, win9x (95, 98, ME) were never built to be used as servers. Secondly, support from Microsoft for all of these is dropped or will be dropped within a few months.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 07:26:24 PM »

recompiling it on win98 won't work since when anope starts and it  detects it s running on a win98 machine, it will terminate itself... unless you change the anope core of course
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:37:02 PM »

Im not sure about this but if you're compiling it the Windows version detection isnt built in. Im pretty sure from what i've read that only exists on the pre-compiled version.

Anyway as i say im not sure but i think thats right.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:55:51 PM »

Well, I build the precompiled versions (for release) from the same source normal people build from ... so I don't think thats accurate.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:03:58 PM »

Originally posted by Jobe1986
Im not sure about this but if you're compiling it the Windows version detection isnt built in. Im pretty sure from what i've read that only exists on the pre-compiled version.

Anyway as i say im not sure but i think thats right.

well if it s build from the same code as the regular anope tar, there is code in it to detect on which version of windows it s working, if it s an unsupported windows version, anope terminates right after starting with a message in logs about unsupported OS or so
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:00:24 PM »

I got that impression from readin someone on here had compiled a version which did not check for the windows version. So they must have modified the source instead. Or i must have mis-read.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

heinz

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 03:11:50 PM »

Unless you solve the problems that exist with using an older version of Windows, there's no point in simply removing the version check.

Windows 98 has some issues with database saving.. but thats probably just the start. Who knows what other quirky "features" might exist with it :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up