Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Security feature  (Read 7712 times)

Deven

• Anope User
Security feature
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:05:51 AM »

I've browsed around the forum and looked at the modules, and maybe I'm overlooking something but here goes....

I'd like to request a feature to akill a client that joins a specified channel.  Currently there is a chankill option in OperServ that allows one to akill all clients in a channel, and what I propose is a way to have services akill the client as soon as they join the channel.

It is a very efficient way to deal with infected botnets that log on with random nicknames, real names, and idents.  They share nothing in common making them difficult to target by conventional methods, except they join a common channel.  There are of course other means of dealing with them, but to have a feature modularized or integrated right into OperServ's core that would automatically akill them as they join would be very convenient.

Any considerations into this feature would be appreciated. :)

GhosT

• Anope User
Re: Security feature
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »

What is your IRCD? I guess it could do better by mode your channel to invite only or only registered user could join the channel.

I was wondering if you load such module. Then people who joined some channels in your network accidentally join that specified channel and got killed immediately. Does it make sense?

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »

IRC defender has a killchan option I think, additionally, there used to be a module called cs_jail for anope that supported this, but it s very very old..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Deven

• Anope User
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:37:19 PM »

What is your IRCD? I guess it could do better by mode your channel to invite only or only registered user could join the channel.

I was wondering if you load such module. Then people who joined some channels in your network accidentally join that specified channel and got killed immediately. Does it make sense?

Currently using Unreal3.2.  As I said, there are other methods of dealing with these bots, however the large number of them is making it a pain.  In addition, they don't all log on at once, generally they log on spread apart from each other, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours.  They don't respond to CTCPs, so, trying to weed them away via certain responses is a no-go.  So to really use the chankill feature and make it worth while I have to sit and wait for them to accumulate.  This network is very, very small, so having 10 chatters online and 50 bots makes map, lusers and list look very bad.

The channel names they join aren't common names, and nothing a regular client would join, I'm not worried about services hitting false positives.  They're generally alphanumeric and random names, though always the same channels.  If implemented into services, the command should carry at least a services admin access to initiate it and used with caution.  Perhaps a way to turn it on/off within services.conf like access to the raw command.

IRC defender has a killchan option I think, additionally, there used to be a module called cs_jail for anope that supported this, but it s very very old..

NeoStats also had a module that would allow one to akill clients as they joined specified channel, however to my knowledge both NeoStats and IRC Defender are both dead projects with no updates/bugfixes being worked on.  I'm skeptical about relying on software that may at any point stop working, or become outdated, when I lack the necessary coding expertise to fix it should problems arise in the future.  Considering IRC Defender and NeoStats had/have this option available, others besides myself must find some merit to this feature.

I wasn't able to locate cs_jail on the modules website but I should be able to easily locate it elsewhere, Google is everybody's friend. :)  It does raise the question to me, though, will this module work with the current stable version of anope since it's no longer a supported module on the website?

I appreciate any replies, constructive critism, and thought concerning this feature request.

<edit>  Quick edit to thank Jan and GhosT for their replies. :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:43:39 PM by Deven »

MrStonedone

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:36:36 AM »

look up anti random module for unreal.. but test the different settings to keep out false positives

william garica

• Anope User
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »

well if u set and wait on them  to  join that certain  room  ,  come  see me and i can give  you something  that will do  the  job,  cause i used it  couple of times on  bots
bluecrystal.net   my  nick is  CaptainAwesome-and-MrFabulous, this is a onjoin-kline.mrc  that i made up,  back when i had  bot  problems , just  type in the  channel  they  joining and  set back and  watch, it  will kline  anbody  that  joins  that  room.
also have  1  that  glines well give u  both
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:07:26 PM by william garica »
Pages: [1]   Go Up