Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Legal Rights?  (Read 4005 times)

eisboleas

Legal Rights?
« on: May 18, 2006, 06:22:35 PM »

Dear Sir/Madam,
Iam currently developing a tool in visual basic (FREE FOR ALL), which will use your software. Basically, what my program will hopefully do is to offer to any kind of individual the ability to have a fully operational IRC server. This means that my tool will be a mixture of your software, and any other kind of irc tool that I might implement. They will just push the start ircserver button, the start services button, and they will be able to access their server through mirc (your software will be running on the taskbar).My problem is that I do not really know if I have the legal rights to redistribute your software, since I have to include it in my installation wizard. My program is really based on your software, and I do not try, in any possible way, to claim any contribution rights from/to your software.
Please advice.

Regards,
LKuriakos.

PS: I can, and I will if asked, send you a copy of my program.

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:04:37 PM »

Anope is released under the GPl, ( http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html ) - This licence agreement garentees certian rights to the users, including the right to re-distribute anope ( as long as the conditions in the GPL are met ).

Bascailly, as long as you dont claim you wrote anope, and as long as you provide the source code along with any pre-compiled versions, and as long as any "dirivited works" is also released under the GPL, you can do what you like.  ( obviously you should check the GPL for yourself ) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up