Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IRCOP protection / no kicking or banning, always join channel  (Read 11880 times)

stonegate

IRCOP protection / no kicking or banning, always join channel
« on: September 11, 2007, 01:04:33 AM »

Hello,

i wonder why i cant find any function like this suggested or on the boards.

Shouldnt ircops (or superadmins) be untouchable for some obvious reasons?

It should be impossible for users to  kick or ban an ircop on a channel.

Also an ircop should always be able to override channel settings (talk when not opped, join a channel even if it´s locked, secret, invite only etc.)

Also an ircop should be able to invisible join a channel in some cases.

Is there some way to implement those features?

Also i aint sure, wasnt it once possible to have colored nicknames via raw commands? If so, does anyone remember how it worked?

Greetings
Stoney

Armadillo

• Anope User
    • http://www.penguinfriends.org
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 01:13:53 AM »

I don't know which IRCd you are running, but you should read it's documentation!
On UnrealIRCd for example there is an oper flag +q which makes an oper ankickable for normal users. And then there are flags to give opers the oper_override flag. That means that you can ban an oper, but if he's on channel he can do everything in the normal way.

[Bearbeitet am 11-9-2007 von Armadillo]
IRC-Network: irc.PenguinFriends.org | Website: www.PenguinFriends.org
Anope: 1.9.9 | InspIRCd: 2.0

stonegate

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 01:19:47 AM »

I´m running the latest Unreal IRCD (3.2.3)
My flags from the unrealircd.conf are:

flags OrRDhgncLkKbBzZtvqHWXdwxGefosSvFj

I have the +q as you can see, but i can still be kicked. Any idea on this ? And what is the oper_override flag ?

I´m also very interested in that "op can join any channel even if locked" feature.

EDIT: I´ve checked about those snomask flags.. It says that +q is for showing q-line messages to the ircop.

Stoney

[Bearbeitet am 11-9-2007 von stonegate]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 02:36:13 AM »

kick/ban protection can only come from the ircd, there is nothing Anope can do about it. Anope doesn't even know about the kick/ban until after the fact.

moved to General Chat.

[Edited on 10-9-2007 by katsklaw]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 10:31:25 AM »

if you think UnrealIRCD 3.2.3 is the latest then you have probably never checked unrealircd.com..

Also an ircop should be able to invisible join a channel in some cases.

Unreal3 had that in its early days, but luckily the developers realized such a "feature" served no useful purpose other then allowing spying.

Also i aint sure, wasnt it once possible to have colored nicknames via raw commands? If so, does anyone remember how it worked?

I don't know about colored nicknames, but raw is a development only tool and merely using it voids your support. Therefore raw is outlawed here...

Also an ircop should always be able to override channel settings (talk when not opped, join a channel even if it´s locked, secret, invite only etc.)

SAs are already able to invite themselves in into those channels through chanserv. As for overriding that with /join... contrary to what you seem to think, imho ircops shouldn't be the all powerful gods many think they are.

As for not being able to get kicked by services the only thing that will prevent that is superadmin, but i don't think users will be happy if you join any channel of theirs and services treat you as its owner.

and like katsklaw said, protection again /kick can only be given by the IRCd since services only know about it after it happened.
Btw, to get the protection you need the +q USERMODE. /mode stonegate +q

[Edited on 11-9-2007 by Viper]
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

stonegate

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »

thanks for your replies and help kat viper and armadillo.

Will try what you said. Sounds good.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 02:01:47 PM »

No, there was never colored nicks, it would directly violate the IRC protocol and most likely break clients. There is however nothing that says that you can't have colored GECOS (real name) and several ircds support it such as Bahamut and perhaps Unreal.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 02:22:41 PM »

No, there was never colored nicks, it would directly violate the IRC protocol and most likely break clients. There is however nothing that says that you can't have colored GECOS (real name) and several ircds support it such as Bahamut and perhaps Unreal.

Unreal does indeed support coloured GECOS
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

stonegate

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 05:16:52 PM »

Can you remember how that worked ?

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)