Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to open log file services.log. I've searched everywhere on the site. :/  (Read 5903 times)

lysergicdiethylamide

• Anope User

Set up services.conf, i run ./services and it gives me:
Warning: Unable to open log file services.log: No such file or directory.

I've saved a blank file services.log everywhere i could think of.  So what exactly is the default location for this file?  Thanks guys.  Sorry for my being so new.

lysergicdiethylamide

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »

Nevermind.  Problem solved.  I hadn't   make install'd.  Now my only question is: Arent the services supposed to be in #services where i assigned them?  How do I make them joiN?

casper1256

• Anope User
    • http://www.chatspecial.nl
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »

I thought there was some module around for that.

[bewerken aan 30-3-2008 door Casper1256]
Network Administrator
ChatSpecial.nl

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:37:09 PM »

This topic has been discussed on many occasions indeed. Please heed the following warnings (although I already know you wont because your level of understanding will not comprehend the truth).

The short version is:

1> Anope is not designed to do that
2> Anope was NEVER programmed for you to "assign" the *Serv's to sit in any channels (refer to #1)
3> Even with a module Anope will still function as designed
4> you can cause desynchs because Anope can not see it's own bots in the channel (refer to #1)
5> The *ONLY* bot that should be in any channel is BotServ bots
6> ChanServ will not have any advantage for beng in channel (refer to #1)
7> It's safer to use an eggdrop or other form of client bot if you are wanting to "keep the channel open" because of #1
8> Just because you found a module that makes ChanServ join a channel, doesn't mean that it will not break (refer to #1)

okami

• Anope User
    • http://okami-designs.sytes.net
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:25:27 AM »

i have ran the module's ircd_init (makes services join the "#services" channel) alongside cs_join (sllows you to /join or /part chanserv from any channel) with inherently NO problems, just because you think the worst of something does not mean it WILL happen so regardless of #1 you are wrong. don't treat people like noobs just because you don't have a better answer for them, so how about if you have nothing positive to say don't say it at all. ;\

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:37:47 AM »

katsklaw has more then enough knowledge about the technical background to make his points... and each one of them - with the exception maybe of nr3 -  is valid.

Nor cs_join, nor ircd_init respect the BSMinUsers settings.
The result is that while bans and modes may be cleared by anope internally, they will not be cleared by the ircd because it still sees a client (ChanServ -which is invisible to services).
Simply example... some1 bans an op, all real users leave channel and only chanserv will be left. at this point services will thing the channel no longer exists and the op will be unable to unban or invite himself in through chanserv because it things the channel doesn't exist.

This doesn't mean that it s impossible to create a module that puts chanserv in channel, but all modules currently around will cause this kind of desync since they fail to properly handle this kind of situations.

Just because YOU have not seen any problems doesn't mean there aren't any...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

okami

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:54:02 AM »

i did not say there couldn't be problems i said there wasn't and thats also why i run cs_join with ircd_init so that chanserv may be parted from the channel instead of leaving it in the channel, leaving a work around in case something like that happens, i am merely expressing instead of spreading out all the doom of a possibility how about offering some positive direction or just not saying anything at all. exp or not the last thing a help section needs is another doom sayer.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:07:10 AM »

there is not much positive about putting anything other then botserv bots in channels from our point of view... simply because for us it only creates trouble and serves no purpose. If some1 has a problem with services they ll come here asking for help and with desyncs like that around we can't be sure what s going on internally in anope... so we spend our time trying to solve something that was cause by a "stupid" module...
just take a look at the recent bugs in the bug tracker to see how quickly people blame things on anope where it is actually behavior being caused by a module..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

okami

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:25 AM »

i am sure there are a lot of idiots asking for help but this is the bane of having a help forum/channel you just give them there answer and send them on there way there isn't really any need to insult them because if there really that stupid they wont understand the insult. but i digress this whole thing is getting clearly way off subject and this topic has already been solved i am moving on now, hopefully ill just see more help then insult in my later searches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up