Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Suggestions/Requests  (Read 10126 times)

Ryan

• Anope User
Some Suggestions/Requests
« on: April 19, 2011, 08:02:41 PM »

Ok I have a couple that I've found really useful over time:

os_forceid - make it a perm module? Useful if someone has a BNC and after a long netsplit the nick gets Guested.

Prevent Channel founders or QOP's being akicked. I'm not sure if this is perm yet just thought i'd mention it.

Bring back the ability to change names and have the forwarding bots on. I know we can change services names but in 1.9 we have to edit unreal config. I'd rather have the forwarding bots again to forward it to the correct bot.

ns_saregister/sagroup & /cs_saregister - really useful one I've found. I'd limit it to services admins+

Maybe auto-assign Chanserv or Botserv to a channel as it's registered? Or any bot (editable by config).

Thats all for now anyway.
Rayth
LightSys Networks

Taylor

• Contributor
Re: Some Suggestions/Requests
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »

I love os_forceid and use it all the time, including my other network owners. It has its good uses... lots of them

ns_saregister/sagroup & /cs_saregister   is just another way to add even more administrating to anope.. which I think is key in a great services package.. no limits on what you can do.  I personally have all 3 of those loaded and when the need arises i am thankful someone was kind enough to code those for me.

If these modules (and others) were added in 1.9 (and someday that will become 2.0...)  I would switch to it and others would be more likely to use it. Most everyone I know stays with 1.8 for the modules and yes i know 1.9 is dev and shouldnt be used on production networks but when it becomes stable no one will change if they cant get the functionality they love! Some of the module developers are gone or dont even maintain it properly anymore. Few but still some...

Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

Ryan

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »

I know exactly what you mean. On an old network I ran i never loaded cs_register and made it all go through opers. This allowed the staff to control what channels were being registered using cs_saregister

The ns_sagroup is useful for quickly grouping nicks, especially after a database loss. Same with saregister again. You can compare old and new ip to prevent nick theft and then register and forceid a user then they can simply set a password.

I switched to 1.9 and it has a lot of the modules I would've used but didn't work with other modules (ie bs_fantasy_ext & ircd_init) and it now has them. Especially ones such as cs_qop and using access level 10001 for founders with 10000 for QOP's.
Rayth
LightSys Networks

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:40:18 PM »

Ok I have a couple that I've found really useful over time:

os_forceid - make it a perm module? Useful if someone has a BNC and after a long netsplit the nick gets Guested.

uhm, absolutely not! This is actually a huge security problem. Yeah, yeah . I've heard all the sob stories about how annoying it is when you're buddies are afk and lurking for days on end and they get guested every 2 minutes. HOWEVER, let Services do it's job. If it's really so important make sure users are updating their /ns access lists. IF a user is connected from one of these addresses they won't be guested in the first place! Honestly though, which is more important? your buddy staying in channel for several hours while they are away for the weekend? or recovering his/her nick and perhaps some settings because someone accidentally forceid'ed the wrong person?

Being a popular module doesn't make it a good idea. Security should come first at all times.

Secondly, being a 3rd party module makes no difference. It just means you don't have to download it when you download Anope and since you already have it, no need to worry about it. There are far more useful top 10 modules that aren't even in the core.

Prevent Channel founders or QOP's being akicked. I'm not sure if this is perm yet just thought i'd mention it.

Services can't PREVENT people from being kicked, this is strictly an ircd thing.

ns_saregister/sagroup & /cs_saregister - really useful one I've found. I'd limit it to services admins+

The beautiful thing about being modular is to allow admins to customize their services without having to know how to edit the source code. Couple this it the fact that you can download hundreds of 3rd party modules that work just as well as 3rd party modules as they would core modules, it makes no functional difference as to which they are.

The core should be kept as tiny as possible and in my humble opinion some of the current core modules could be 3rd party modules to make it even smaller.

Asking for 3rd party modules to become core modules may seem a trivial thing to you, but it's not to the development team that now must support the modules instead of their respective author and the only thing it saves is a few minutes time for you to download a few files but could add several man hours maintaining modules that only a small hand full of users actually use compared to those that don't.

Maybe auto-assign Chanserv or Botserv to a channel as it's registered? Or any bot (editable by config).

These is a 3rd party module for that already, for 1.8 atleast. More than one to be honest.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:42:33 PM by katsklaw »

Ryan

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:10 PM »

Part 1- As i stated in my last post this is used on my network for when servers go down and a bnc reconnects. All the BNC's are identifiable by a few methods set when they are made so I highly doubt force id'ing the wrong person is possible.

Part2- Please re-read what I typed in the first place. I clearly said "Akicked". In fact tbh it would be good to prevent either /cs ban /cs kick or /cs akick being used against a channel founder.

Part3- For your "owner" thing the code writers can be given credit. It's done often enough on the internet.

Part4- I use 1.9 funnily enough. I think the fact I mentioned QOP tells you that though.
Rayth
LightSys Networks

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 12:21:06 AM »

Part 1- As i stated in my last post this is used on my network for when servers go down and a bnc reconnects. All the BNC's are identifiable by a few methods set when they are made so I highly doubt force id'ing the wrong person is possible.

Makes it even easier to use /ns access list since their IP block(s) aren't likely to change. Also, unless the user in question is the only user on said IP, which isn't likely unless they own the server it's on and also the IP, then it is still possible. IE public xNC shell.

That aside, a persons personal computer could still get hacked and many other variables that apply but would make this very long indeed still raises a caution flag.

It's far safer for the user in question to script their own solution and/or take advantage of the /ns access list. THat is after all why it exists in the first place.

Part2- Please re-read what I typed in the first place. I clearly said "Akicked". In fact tbh it would be good to prevent either /cs ban /cs kick or /cs akick being used against a channel founder.

Indeed you did my apologies, as far as the latter, that's possible with existing 1.8 modules to be sure.

Part3- For your "owner" thing the code writers can be given credit. It's done often enough on the internet.

Giving credit is trivial, the maintenance is still the taxing part and 50% of the main reason not to. The other 50% is as I mentioned in keeping the core as small as possible.

Part4- I use 1.9 funnily enough. I think the fact I mentioned QOP tells you that though.

Uhm, actually QOP can mean any user that is chanmode +q and on Anope 1.8 that is also possible and with cs_accessfounder it could mean multiple users for the same channel. The term QOP is not limited to 1.9 alone. So it's a fact you used the term for it, but doesn't factually indicate your current version. tbh, I first heard the term QOP before 1.9 was released.

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:26:40 AM »

I use forceid for my CIA bot since it'll get kicked because i have such strict spam settings...  and i really have no idea how it could be a "security" issue, please elaborate?

and we should just have adam put all these in an "extras" in anope :)  same for maybe the other core modules you think should be 3rd party, or just like hs_request is atm

Cronus
irc.cncirc.net

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:49:34 AM »

I use forceid for my CIA bot since it'll get kicked because i have such strict spam settings...  and i really have no idea how it could be a "security" issue, please elaborate?

Sorry, I fail to see how "accidentally forceID'ing the wrong person" could possibly be elaborated upon. It seems self explanatory to me. In my experience I've seen dozens of opers socially engineered into giving access to the wrong person, I've yet to see any one socially engineer NickServ.

and we should just have adam put all these in an "extras" in anope :)  same for maybe the other core modules you think should be 3rd party, or just like hs_request is atm

Sure, put the top 10 modules in there too since they get downloaded thousands of times more than forceID, just make the tarball 6-7mb no big deal, right?

Good day ladies/gents, I've said my piece.

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:52:42 AM »

i skimmed through your post, didnt see you say that. :)  If an oper isn't thinking straight or is an idiot for the day and accidently does that, oh well, doesnt mean anope cant have it just because someone "might" screw it up ;p lol 6-7MB is nothing but i doubt it'd be that huge in the end ;p personally i use git anyways, i download alot more than the tarballs ^_^
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net

Ryan

• Anope User
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »

lol you're worried abouit a 6-7MB tarball? Seriously with todays technology thats like a little dot on a piece of paper. High Quality MP3 Files can be 6-7 or even 8mb so i don't see that as a problem.
Rayth
LightSys Networks

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:02:11 AM »

i skimmed through your post, didnt see you say that. :)  If an oper isn't thinking straight or is an idiot for the day and accidently does that, oh well, doesnt mean anope cant have it just because someone "might" screw it up ;p lol 6-7MB is nothing but i doubt it'd be that huge in the end ;p personally i use git anyways, i download alot more than the tarballs ^_^

Opers are humans, thus flawed and thus make mistakes. Making mistakes does not make one an idiot.

6-7mb does matter to some that have metered access. Granted, I was being sarcastic and even if you added all the modules it likely wouldn't get huge. My point still remains that Anope's core should remain small and promote the use of 3rd party modules.

Part of the infamy of UnrealIRCd is it is packed with everything under the sun in a near 3mb tarball (which I've seen users complain about that size). Another part is that Unreal has pointless, abusable commands loaded by default. Without getting too technical, Unreal is just as modular as Anope is, it's just configured so everything is enabled automatically. Still why would I as a use want to download a huge tarball and only use the bare minimum?

Additionally, who is going to insure the "extras" are updated? Will a new version be released every time a module is released/updated? Will the extras just go stale and users will just have to download them from the modules site anyway?

Ryan, you don't see the problem because you don't have the problem. I fail to see how it is that you seem to think that it's ok for thousands of users to download 6-7mb to save you (and those few that want the same module(s)) from having to download 20kb. Seriously, how is that better?

Users should be allowed to download the bare minimum then the individual modules they want as it currently is instead of having to download a bunch of crap that very few people will use.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:09:23 AM by katsklaw »

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 03:27:48 AM »

Adam will insure they are updated.
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up