Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQUEST] Restricted Channels  (Read 5485 times)

Dust

• Anope User
[REQUEST] Restricted Channels
« on: November 27, 2008, 05:47:17 AM »

Hi, I'm one of the roots on a network run by a total of 7 of us. We have a private channel for just us 7 roots only. However, ircops like to join, sajoin themselves, etc, to get in the channel. It's quite annoying, because it does cause problems, especially if we're engaged in an important network discussion only to be kept between the 7 of us.

What I would like is a module that allows Root Administrators to set a channel through ChanServ to be restricted to Root Admins only.

A nice touch if you want to get in to detail is settings for Services Admins+ and Services Opers+ if you'd like. However, what I really need is the option to restrict channel access to roots only.

Things to make sure are included:

-/sajoin will fail them in joining the channel.
-/os svsjoin (if that mod is installed) will fail them in joining the channel.
-/os svspart (if that mod is installed) will fail them in parting people from the channel.
-/sapart will fail them in parting people from the channel.

The blocking of the joins is most important.

If someone can make this, you have my gratitude :D Thanks alot

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
Re: [REQUEST] Restricted Channels
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 06:40:56 AM »

Being the ever optimist that I am, I'd suggest educating your staff. - Assuming it's just IRCOps you may have a channel mode at your disposal such as +A which will only allow Admins or +N Network Admins to join.

Whilst that doesn't direct solve your issue, I think yours is more of an education and attitude one whereby if members of staff cannot conduct themselves appropriately they shouldn't be members of staff.

However, I'm pondering whether it could be done with RESTRICTED or so and will ponder about it later on.

Dust

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:11:43 AM »

yeah, i understand that, but the way the network is run kind of eliminates the option. a module like this would be perfect for dealing with the situation of how the network is set up

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:31:33 AM »

Well the first issue is that /sapart and /sajoin cannnot be controlled by Anope in any form, Anope can ONLY respond to joins and parts. sajoin and sapart take place at the IRCd level and by the time Anope knows about them, theyre just a regular join or part, Anope has no wait to tell the difference.

As for /os svsjoin and /os svspart, the best sollution for that is a quick modification to the module as to who can use the command. For example, limiting it to Services Roots.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Master

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:20:51 AM »

ChanServ's restricted option ignores SAs...I think...especially if they use Super-Admin.

FYI, +N is "prevent nick changes" on UnrealIRCd, so that's not an option...unless this isn't Unreal.

Of course, you could always /kill the opers if they do something they're not supposed to ;)
Always believe Murphy's Law. If you don't, watch what happens.

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:49:33 PM »

As said earlier Anope can't prevent joins, but it can react to them, if that s good enough for you. if it isn't i suggest you should look for a way to solve it on the ircd's side.

Just turn restricted and secureops on for the channel and give all roots op access and no1 else.. of course using superadmin would allow them to join through it... but in 1.8 the OS SET command is restricted to roots, so no problem there.

Hmm.. on second thought this solution isn't waterproof either. Services Admins can add themselves to channel access lists.. If one of my opers would ever do that - same for the sajoin or svsjoin though - i d fire him right away.
Services Admins have a lot of power, not a lot less then roots, if they misbehave or abuse that power they have no rights to being an admin.
Anope is meant for end-users' comfort and to protect their nicks and channels and offers opers some tools to aid in this. It does assume that the people given that privilege are trustworthy.. Anope is not meant as a babysit for opers.. if they misbehave they shouldn't be opers, no matter what network set up.
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up