Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timed msg / notice  (Read 4500 times)

stephen4X

Timed msg / notice
« on: July 31, 2007, 12:24:38 AM »

sorry if this is in the wrong forum(have searched and not found elsewhere). Is it possible for a simple timed msg feature to be added to the services bots? e.g at the moment we make use of greet to give a "todays hint" when a new user joins a channel. what I'm basically asking is for a msg to be sent either to the chan or to a user such as "to register your nick ..." kind of thing. I have googled it and searched  these forums so I hope I'm not repeating what someone has previously asked. Thanks for your excellent product!

stephen.

p.s. i realise an eggdrop can use a greet script, but I hoped to utilise one of the services bots, perhaps a botserv created one.

[Edited on 30-7-2007 by stephen4X]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 11:47:20 PM »

moved to modules forum.

Just about anytime you have an idea for a new feature than a standard client bot can do, there is a rather good chance it needs to be a module instead of a core feature.

The purpose of services it NOT to emulate or handle tasks that a lesser priviledged client can do, such as triviabot, sexbot, bartender .. etc .. those all need to be 3rd party module requests as they most likely will never make it into the core. Then if the module is written it's likely best that it creates it's own pseudoclient or uses BotServ as it's base.

[Edited on 31-7-2007 by katsklaw]

stephen4X

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 01:25:17 AM »

Cheers for the reply katsklaw. Wasn't 100% where to post it. Was just for an idea quite specific to our small network anyway I suppose(no need to go into details). Keep up the good work.

Stephen.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:31:06 AM »

I think someone else also requested this feature. Also don't give up on the request, it's not all that hard to write this module for someone that has the skills and alot of modules do get written simlpy because 1 user asked.

Perfect example is I wrote os_kill just because someone asked. :)

[Edited on 31-7-2007 by katsklaw]

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »

Hmm. But appending to that I'd like to have /cs set entrymsg delayed! My experience is, that many joining people ignore the most messages when joining a channel.
So a delayed notice is my solution. Currently I'm doing it with a bot, but although anope has this entrymsg-feature this could be extended to send this message/notice delayed (better to be setable in irc).

Maybe might look like:
/cs set #chan entrymsg <delay in s> <message (must start alphanumeric, otherwise if no delay is set bist number is used as delay) >

or as extra cmd: /cs set #chan entrymsg-dlay 30

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:14:56 AM »

My experience shows that most users don't even read the motd, channel topic or entrymsg at all. We ban people from #Anope nearly everyday for it. however this can also be done rather easy in a module.

stephen4X

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »

I just read the example module tutorial(as I saw advised in another thread). This may not be so difficult to do(hopefully), and will be interesting to have a go at. I'm assuming this as the example (meow) notices user text, so I guess notice chan isnt so much harder? Just gotta figure out some kind of timer. Will be fun to try at least.

Stephen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up