Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: bs_fantasy_ext (Version 1.4.1 Released - Critical update!)  (Read 251965 times)

TRAiNER4

(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2006, 05:15:07 AM »

Originally posted by chasingsol
Follow-up on my post of a couple of days ago.

Ran services under gdb, and they didn't crash, the box ran out of memory and the process was killed by the kernel. This is different to the FUTEX_WAIT state I have experienced before, but I can't continue to test the module on a production network to test further.

Jul 10 17:03:41 tx1 kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 27446 (services).

That's some memory leak! It took 22 hours and 1 minute to leak enough that my server ran out of memory (1GB) and swap (1GB). Load average hit 50+ on a single core cpu before the kernel stepped in.

I can't recommend that larger networks use this module right now, unless you want the possibility of your services box becoming unreachable. I'm sure on smaller networks the memory leak rate will be much less, but on a 2000+ user network, it can be catastrophic.

[Edited on 7-11-2006 by chasingsol]
it pretty much made the server unreachable, unresponsive, ssh didn't work so I couldn't get in to kill it, so the machine had to be rebooted twice. I'm gonna use 1.0.7 until this is fixed =/

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2006, 11:40:23 AM »

yep... i ran it for a while with a script constantly request cmdlist and a few help's and indeed it started using memory fairly quickly...

so for now i can only recommend immediately unloading this module or disabling the help system.
i fixed the mode and help all, changed the append trigger and removed the so called easter egg in my last version as well as a few memory leaks that occured on a reload and one in the more modes per line code...

so far the good news though... i know there is a serious leak somewhere, but so far i haven't been able to find it... i m not really used to working with C nor with C tools so this could take a while... maybe even a long while. i used valgrind to try and find the cause, but it only shows the core functions, for some reason it doesn't mention my module, instead it shows "????"...

if any1 with more bugtracking/programming experience in C is willing to help me out at this point, it would be greatly appreciated...

edit: allready spent a day on it, trying to figure it out with valgrind, but so far without any success... not sure whether i ll be able to solve this one on my own :(

[Edited on 20-7-2006 by Viper]

[Edited on 20-7-2006 by Viper]
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2006, 07:17:21 PM »

Viper, drop me a pm with what is going on..  and see if I can help you out..
my God my tourniquet, return to me salvation

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2006, 03:33:08 AM »

Nevermind took a look at the code.. Viper check your email

Tom65789

• Anope User
    • www.t65789.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2006, 09:22:37 AM »

i found a memory leak in the multi op commands like !op 1 2 3 4 5, PM on IRC for yah as well :)

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2006, 12:12:45 PM »

Originally posted by TRAiNER4
once again, the !help made anope leak into the RAM very badly, forcing me to have to reboot the machine... something's up

are you sure it s located in the !help cause there s almost nothing that can leak there...

did you guys have the OverrideCoreCmds option enabled cause i did fix a serious leak in that code.... (thx Rob and Tom) :)

[Edited on 21-7-2006 by Viper]

Tom65789

• Anope User
    • www.t65789.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2006, 02:06:41 PM »

i think was something that effected quite alot, but when i did find it, my RAM usage shot up fast

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2006, 01:27:32 AM »

I reported to Viper at least 6 more areas where the module is leaking memory.. hopefully fixed soon

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2006, 12:30:36 PM »

yeah, thanks a lot for that Trystan... it was a very usefull mail. Some leaks were just things i hadn't thought about, others were things i just didn't know.

anyways, i think i have now fixed all known bugs and memory leaks, except for the leak TRAiNER4 is referring to.... because i simply can't find any leak in the help system. are you sure there is one there ?
I also split the module up into several smaller files after being suggested to do so by both Rob and Trystan so from now on you will have to download and extract a .tar.gz to the anope-1.7.x/src/modules directory.

More details can be found in the CHANGELOG, but apart from fixing leaks and bugs this version comes with 1 new command (!admins) and an improvement on the old GOListExcempNick which now accepts wildcards.
Also note that the GOListExcempNick directive has been renamed to ListExcempNick and !append has been changed to !tappend or !appendtopic

I can't possibly guarentee that the module is memory leak free, but if noone is willing to try it out, it could be a very long time before more memory leaks are detected. If you do decide to try it out, please keep an eye on anope's memory usage for the first few hrs and possibly days...

download link is in updated first post.

owine

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »

is the link dead? doesnt seem to work for me. i can mirror the file for you if youd like.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »

hmm there s nothing wrong with the download link as far as i know... it worked for Tom
it s a link though to a box on my home LAN and it s on a simple dsl line hence y the speeds suck.

problem with mirror'ing it is that the module is - for the moment - updated so often that the mirror would be outdated half of the time...

updated to 1.1.7 btw to fix a windows compile error in do_core_fantasy

edit:
ok now there s a mirror added thx to Tom.. cf first post

[Edited on 22-7-2006 by Viper]

Tom65789

• Anope User
    • www.t65789.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2006, 04:58:39 PM »

Viper, catch me on IRC :p

lots of mirrors. i have too many dedi servers ._.

[Edited on 23-7-2006 by Tom65789]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2006, 12:12:09 PM »

updated to 1.1.8

fixed a segmentation fault when using the module with debug enabled and a bug in the parsing of ExcemptList. The directive didn't work and users would still appear in !staff and !admin; bug reported by liquidice

also the module has been loaded on a network i m tech at for about 4 days now and i haven't seen any serious memory leaking so far, and none that i could blame my module for as far as i m aware at least. it s not a 2000+ user network and not that active, but i think it could be an indication i got rid of the leaks...
any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated

btw i ll be gone for a few days again, going sailing so the main download link may not be available during this period, just use tom's links if that s the case.

[Edited on 30-7-2006 by Viper]

Jan Milants

• Team
keeping my promise...
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2006, 03:58:42 PM »

as i had promised: with the release of Anope-1.7.15 windows is now also supported. A download link for a zip containing a dll for Anope-1.7.15 has been added in the first post.

I also used this opportunity to update the module to V1.1.9.
There are no bugfixes in this version, just a few code tweaks to make it a bit more efficient and use TSmode if the ircd supports it.

TRAiNER4

(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2006, 05:56:07 PM »

OK I spot a few problems...
1) !op and such fantasy commands do not respect the ChanServ SECUREOPS and SECUREFOUNDER settings
2) [12:49:54p] <@Global> PANIC! buffer = :Joseph11 ! #512net :!ban <= the !ban command has a panic when trying to ban someone who has an exempt on the channel.
3) !mode won't accept more than 1 parameter, thus +o, +h, etc will not work, and spews output into the logchannel.

Please take a look into these as soon as possible. Thanks.

[Edited on 8/11/2006 by TRAiNER4]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2006, 04:04:29 PM »

ok thanks.... has all been fixed in me testversion.

1: module didn't correct update anope's internal list
2: for some reason it was free()'ing even though there was an if statement... moved the free()'s so it only free()s if the char was actually assigned.
3: this is a tricky one because i just copied the behavious (and code) from the /os mode command... the operserv mode can't be used to set +o or so either. i modified !mode so that it parses the entire line (it would have given problems with +f also), but it s still not really meant to be used for granting users' ops or so, since it doesn't correctly change anope's internal list (same with /os mode), it changes anope's mode list, the the ops list... i ll see if it s possible to either fix that, or to prevent setting +o, but i since the /os mode doesn't do this either i m not sure whether it s worth the effort. With the current modifications it does set the mode correctly, but the internal list isn't updated correctly, hence why it doesn't respect SECUREOPS settings either.

i ll be releasing .11 either this evening or tomorrow with the necessary fixes... when depends on how far i ll go on bug #3

anyways thanks for the feedback... was allready wondering whether any1 was still interested in this module because i never got any feedback or bugs or so. just so i m not working on something no1 s ever gonna use :)

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2006, 08:50:14 PM »

ok i have to correct myself here on bug #3... this was indeed entirely my fault as this works fine as implemented in /os mode... should be working properly now...

uploading .10 (another type in previous post) atm... this version only contains bugfixes and is highly recommended for any1 using previous 1.1.x

thx again TRAiNER4

[Edited on 12-8-2006 by Viper]

sdamon

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2006, 07:06:25 AM »

please run these 2 lines before distroing the dll...makes for a cleaner file tree
Code: [Select]
mt -manifest bs_fantasy_ext.dll.manifest -outputresource:bs_fantasy_ext.dll;2
del bs_fantasy_ext.dll.manifest

[Edited on 18-8-2006 by sdamon]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2006, 11:20:07 PM »

thanks, i ll do that next time i compile a new version :)

djGrrr

• Anope User
    • http://www.p2p-network.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »

i've been running this module for 2 weeks now, on a fairly large network (>2000 users) and i haven't had a single issue with it so far, much better than last time i tested it (it caused the box to almost die with such a huge memory leak)
P2P-NET Network Staff

owine

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2006, 02:48:52 AM »

could the functionality be added to !kb where you do "!kb *!*@some.host.here reason" and it bans the ip and then kicks all matching the ban with that reason? would be very helpful.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2006, 11:57:40 AM »

thx a lot djGrrr for the feedback... i lack the place to test the module myself on a real network, except for an empty testnet and well i didn't spend hours trying to figure out any possible syntax for every possible command to see if it works right... now at least i know it s working like it s supposed to :)

hmmmm, owine,  currently, !kb is still handled by the anope core, i ll take a look at it though, but not sure where to draw the line... i mean do i ban the second the first argument "!*@some.host.here" is not a user, or would i require the use of *@* before i ban the first argument...
a short example, would !kb *.aol.com have to work or not... because if you make a type and the user doesn't exist it would put a ban on it thinking it was a mask....

owine

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2006, 09:45:41 PM »

i would say !kb [nick!]ident@host. where the nick is optional but you must have ident@host at least. therefore, !kb *.aol.com, as in your example, would not work. that is where i would draw the line.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2006, 09:08:14 PM »

owine, a new version is ready for release.
I added the functionality you suggested. If you could please test it out before i replace the previous stable release with the upcoming .11 ...

Note: this new release wil ONLY work on 1.7.16 and higher

< pre-release no longer available >

When i am satisfied with .11, i will stop hosting the module on my local linux box and add it to the new modules site.
For people who haven't upgraded to anope-1.7.16 yet, i ll put .10 on there as well, though i highly discourage using it as it does not comply with the (yet to be approved) upcoming QA requirements.

[Edited on 25-10-2006 by Viper]

owine

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »

edit: module works flawlessly.

[Edited on 10/16/2006 by owine]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up