Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Query/Request] NickServ nick Expiration email  (Read 3481 times)

Joshua

• Anope User
[Query/Request] NickServ nick Expiration email
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »

So over the past 24 hours I've seen 4 nicks expire and I was thinking wouldn't it be convenient if services would send an email to these people shortly before the expiration (customizable time since the expiration time is customizable) -- since you know, people do forget things and whatnot.

Personally I cannot find a module like that and I was wondering if such a module EVEN exists. If it doesn't exist, would someone be willing to write a module as I know I would find it useful -- and I'm sure plenty of other people would as well.  (P.S. Our Anope version: Anope-1.8.5 (3037) services.nerdfighteria.net UnrealIRCd 3.2.x -  M (enc_md5) -- build #1, compiled Feb 12 2011 22:30:18)

I would greatly appreciate any response. Be it a link to an existing (compatible) module or a newly written module. I don't have high hopes but hey anything is possible.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:00:11 PM by Joshua »

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
Re: [Query/Request] NickServ nick Expiration email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »

It's been suggested in the past. The general outcome of the conversation was that it's not worth writing because if a users nick is about to expire or has expired then they aren't interested in IRC or your network. I for one agree.

For this to be implemented would take a considerable amount of cpu cycles because the same check used to expire the nicks would need to then also check for near expiration thus doubling the workload, then take even more by sending emails to people that are most likely uninterested in the first place. On very small nets, this feature would go relatively unnoticed, however on larger nets could be a catastrophe. To the smaller admin I say, lengthen your expiry.

Another thing you can do is keep in touch with your users with a regular newsletter outside IRC so users don't "forget". It not only makes the user feel more important but makes them feel like they are apart of your community.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:10:59 PM by katsklaw »
Pages: [1]   Go Up