Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do do when Anope is offline?  (Read 8105 times)

Cation

• Anope User
What do do when Anope is offline?
« on: October 19, 2006, 11:41:55 PM »

I have two Unreal ircds linked, with Anope running on one of the servers. Everything is working perfectly. I am sure there are many people in similar situations so I am curious what you do when the server running Anope goes offline, leaving the remaining ircd without services? Is there anyway to have a backup of Anope ready to kick in?
Thanks

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 11:52:51 PM »

Anope supports multiple RemoteServers. See data/example.conf for more information.

Cation

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 04:25:48 AM »

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I am misunderstanding the idea of remoteserver. Isn't that an ircd server that Anope links to?
What I am curious about is how do you set up a backup Anope service in the event the main Anope goes down? Can two Anope services be linked and kept synched?

I'd hate to leave the ircd without any Services at all if that happened.

GhosT

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 04:39:01 AM »

Originally posted by katsklaw
Anope supports multiple RemoteServers. See data/example.conf for more information.

katsklaw, this means that: If i have a Network with ServerA ServerB ServerC linked together, I can link my service to all these three servers so that I do not have to worry if any server down. So my service is always UP if any of three servers above UP, right?

cemtex

anope link
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:55:03 PM »

I want to knwo the same question.

Can anope be linked with another anope so that if one of the anope servers goes down you will still have the second anope services running??

thanks

[Edited on 23-10-2006 by cemtex]

SpaceDoG

• Anope User
    • http://www.hypermutt.net
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »

The remote server is if anope isn't running a local box or the IRC should crash that anope is connected to, Anope will connect to the first server in the remote server list. Anope will only be linked to 1 IRCd at any given moment. If there is a netsplit you (or your opers) should type /connect server.addr.com to relink the servers.

cemtex

linking
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:02:55 PM »

Yes i understand that anope can connect to any irc but what if the server running anope goes down would it not be a good idea for anope to be able to link to another anope so u have a backup services?

we have 4 irc hubs and one running anope, and the one running anope does drop on ocassion so would be good if we had a secondary anope running to take over.

is this possible??

thanks

SpaceDoG

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:30:36 PM »

No. Only one services server can be connected at any given moment. Your best bet would probably be to install exact replicas of anope on the other servers and use the same configuration as the current server. Have someone download a copy of the databases located in the backups folder on a daily basis in case of a crash and upload them to one of the other servers. I'm not sure if there is another way to go about doing this but that's the best that I know of off the top of my head.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 10:05:44 PM »

we have 4 irc hubs and one running anope, and the one running anope does drop on ocassion so would be good if we had a secondary anope running to take over.

In the best interest of your NETWORK .. Services should be run from the most stable server. Please notice that I capitalized network and bolded it .. I did that for a reason. That reason is that in most cases Services run from a server where the network founders or network creators have direct access to it. While this is not a bad thing to do, many net admins neglect their own network by not placing services on the best possible server. Instead they will generally keep it on a crappy server that they control instead of acting in the best interest of the network as a whole. Please do what's best for your network.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 10:59:19 PM »

If you do follow the SpaceDog's idea of replicating using the daily backups id reccomend running the backup services in readonly mode so you dont have to worry about replicating back to the main services server. That way when the main services server is ready to come back up simply shutdown the backup services.

To start Anope in readonly mode simply pass it the -readonly command line flag.

[Edited on 25-10-2006 by Jobe1986]
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

SpaceDoG

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 04:17:56 PM »

Thanks Jobe. I didn't think about that but they could just as easily transfer the DB from when services shut off back to the main server so that if say the main server with anope is down for a day or two they don't have to halt nick/user registration if they have a large/busy network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up