Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about NickServ  (Read 6249 times)

TraceRT

Question about NickServ
« on: March 22, 2006, 04:14:20 PM »

Hi there! Thanks in advance for any help you can lend me.

Here's the situation: I have a list of users I want to be able to access my IRC server. This list is variable, as new users will be signing up. I want to integrate my signup with the NickServ database so that my userbase will always have their nicknames. This isn't my issue though... here comes the twisty bit.

I want to disallow all users who AREN'T on the NickServ. On login, I'd like to have it so that a user would have X seconds/minutes to authenticate to the NickServ before the server would kick them.

Maybe a NickServ isn't the route to go with this... anyone have any other ideas?

I'm running the newest versions of UnrealIRCd and Anope on a Fedora Core 4 server.

Thanks again for your help!

-T

TraceRT

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 06:49:21 PM »

Follow up after some research:

I can set a channel to only allow registered users, which solves quite a few of my problems. (/msgChanServ SET [channel] SECURE ON)

However now I see that the nick database is a tad bit more complex than I expected, as well as the fact that Anope only reads the data in at the launch of the services. Has anyone found a way around this? I'm thinking of running a cron task that would relaunch the Anope every 10 minutes or something.

Thanks again for reading and any ideas that you might have.

-T

owine

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 06:57:19 PM »

thats not what chanserv secure does. you can use the ircd to allow only their IPs or you could set only ircops able to use nickserv and then register the nicks for the people if they are allowed and then have a +R channel so only registered users could join.

TraceRT

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:10:20 PM »

Ah ha... Thanks for the insight and the reply!

The IPs are going to be variable, as the users could be connecting from anywhere.

I'm looking to make the system automated though - with our userbase, it would take far too long for admins to sort through.

I didn't know you could make NickServ only respond to IRCOps though. I checked my docs on NickServ and I didn't see anything obvious on how to pull that off... do you happen to have that command handy? Thanks!

I've been thinking about modiying a bot to read in a non-world readable text file or something like that and just processing the names and such that way. I'm curious how much control I would have over one of the bots from BotServ.

Thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it!

-T
Pages: [1]   Go Up