Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Module request - /msg NickServ id [nickname] <password>  (Read 6848 times)

Armadillo

• Anope User
    • http://www.penguinfriends.org
Module request - /msg NickServ id [nickname] <password>
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:52:26 PM »

Well, it's easy to discribe, but i think very hard to make it real and perhaps only a solution in the core is able to run, but I'll explain my request first:

From the KickServices which we used for over 5 years now I know a function to identify from another nickname which is not the one to which I wanna identify myself, which identifies the user for a specific nickname.
The command is /msg NickServ id nicname password. It logs the user into the specified nickname, assumed the password is correct. After that the nick of the user is changed to the nick for which he was identified.
I think you'll now think... hey idiot that's the same like the ghost command... but it is not!
This command is very helpful, for example a user got a ping timeout or another user has his registered nick, but the owner doesn'T want to use the ghost command and kill the user out of the server. Then you are also logged into your registered nick, but you have the nickname you connected with and the other user has your registered nick.
It could be also useful when you go to a friend for example, but you forgot your irc-client which automatically connects to your bnc and loggs into the nickserv system. So you connect with another client, but the bnc has the nick you want to log in with and you don'T want to kill it with the ghost command off. So this module could solve this problem.

I hope you could understand what i want and my ugly english. ;)

Greetz

Arma
IRC-Network: irc.PenguinFriends.org | Website: www.PenguinFriends.org
Anope: 1.9.9 | InspIRCd: 2.0

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:51:47 AM »

There is currently a Module for opers: os_forceid

In that case, that you should never give anyone else your password(s) I still think your explanation makes no sense. If you are online there is no need to identify yourself remotely. Think of you have the possibility to group other Nicks to your one so all your nicks in your group get the acccesslevels set to the main nick of the group.

The onliest thing I think is senseful is os_forceid ... so an oper can identify a nick that currently isnt but makes problems (like a bnc that isn configured well and does not autoidentify on connect and the nick has killprotection... so the nick always renames...)

Otherwise I did not correctly understand you ^^

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »

There is one use i can think of remote identify. Use it in conjunction with the KILL IMMED option so you could identify to the nick before you /nick to it. That way you can set your nick to KILL IMMED, which means nobody can even use your nick for the 20 seconds of KILL QUICK or the 60 seconds of KILL ON. Would prevent anyone even appearing to be you without knowing your password.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Armadillo

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 05:30:23 PM »

I didn't ask if the module makes sense or not, I asked if it is possible to make it. But that's the normal way here in this forum...

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 05:52:54 PM »

doesn't sound to technically hard... should be relatively easy.. a lot can be copied from the identify code... at least if i understood what it s supposed to do cause i m still not sure whether it changes the nick or not... but that s just details
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Armadillo

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »

that sounds much better. :)

Another coder of our network tried to change the source of the ns_identify.c in the src/core/ directory, but he didn't have success with it. ;(

So if you or somebody else would have success that would be great! :)

[Bearbeitet am 6-4-2007 von Armadillo]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:15:26 PM »

Originally posted by SNU
 If you are online there is no need to identify yourself remotely. Think of you have the possibility to group other Nicks to your one so all your nicks in your group get the acccesslevels set to the main nick of the group.

Remote identification makes all kinds of sense and there *is* a need for it, not everyone uses groups. A great reason for not using groups is in the event a user doesn't want all of their nicks to have the same attributes, ie: bots.

I don't want my channel bot to have the same level of access in a channel as I have, so instead of grouping my bot with my main nick, which would give my bot Services Root Level services access and founder level access to my channel, I register it seperately and not group it so it has non-oper level access to services and basic aop level access to my channel. However, if my bot is offline for an extended period of time I'll want to remotely identify to it's nick occassionaly so it's nick doesn't drop, remote id allows me to maintain my bots nick without changing to my bots nick and losing all of my oper/channel level access because I'm not using my nick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up