Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why akill not automatically expire ?  (Read 4788 times)

Rawang

• Anope User
why akill not automatically expire ?
« on: November 15, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »

hi.. i'm using anope 1.8.8

i tried add akill

[19:19] -irc.****.org- *** G:Line added for *@103.1.69.178 on Fri Nov 15 11:19:26 2013 GMT (from RG to expire at Sun Nov 17 11:19:26 2013 GMT: test)
-
[19:19] -OperServ- *@103.1.69.178 added to the AKILL list.
-
[19:19] -irc.****.org- *** Global -- from OperServ: RG added an AKILL for *@103.1.69.178 (test) (expires in 1 minute)
-
[19:19] -irc.****.org- *** Notice -- Client exiting at webmaster.****.org: bontot!Netk@103.1.69.178 (User has been banned from WebChat (test))
-
[19:20] -OperServ- Current AKILL list:
-
[19:20] -OperServ-   1  *@103.1.69.178 (by RG on Nov 15 2013; expires at next database update)

but this akill not expire normally.. and i use /os update

[19:26] -OperServ- Updating databases.
-
[19:26] -irc.****.org- *** Global -- from OperServ: AKILL on *@103.1.69.178 has expired
-
[19:26] -irc.****.org- OperServ removed G:Line *@103.1.69.178 (set at Fri Nov 15 11:19:26 2013 - reason: test)
-

please help me..!
-

CrazyCat

• Anope User
    • French Eggdrop community
Re: why akill not automatically expire ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »

I noticed the same trouble, using anope 1.8.8 and unreal 3.2.10

And nothing in the log, I'll try with a test server in debug mode.

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:05 AM »

This isn't a bug, this is as designed..
You will notice the
expires at next database update

When an akill expires, it will no longer be enforced by anope, but it will stay in the list until next time anope purges expired akills which is done during a database update. This way anope doesn't have to check all akills every second or so.. a waste of resources..
 If there is still a matching gline active however, that gline will only be cleared when the akill is actually removed, so during the database update..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

CrazyCat

• Anope User
    • French Eggdrop community
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:48 AM »

Yes, I had a try and it works, it's quite confusing with a 1m akill (expired more than 15' after) but when akill is 1d but I understand the reason.

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »

AKILL was never designed with such short ban periods in mind.. if you want to ban someone for such a short period of time, you are better off using the IRCd's capabilities..

AKILL was designed for very long term bans, typically those exceeding the standard time of ircd level bans.. the reasoning was if you wanted to ban a 1000 masks, anope would check those after the client connected rather then the ircd checking them during the connection process as that would slow down every client connecting to the ircd.
This is also why anope places a time limited GLINE...
Assume you add an akill which will expire in 6 months: anope will place a GLINE valid for 48hrs or so and thus the client will be banned at ircd level for the first 2 days. after that, the GLINE is removed and thus connecting clients won't be slowed by it anymore. Anope checks all connecting clients against the AKILL list, meaning that if a client matching the akill connects, anope will detect it and place another 48hrs GLINE.. the result is that the client remains banned from the network, but the workload is moved away from the connection process in the ircd..
After 6 months, the akill will come to expire and since this is checked during the DB update process, it stays in the list until the next DB update.. in the very unlikely event there is still a GLINE in place, it will only be removed when the akill is actually purged from the list.

The impact of all this on the performance may not be that important anymore in today's world, but it was when this was conceived..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up