Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting Databases to another IRCd  (Read 4071 times)

Adam

• Anope User
Converting Databases to another IRCd
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:06:54 PM »

Searching Google and the Forums just gave me results about converting from one services program to another.

Basically my situation is, I am a Network Admin/Tech Consultant on a network that runs Unreal3.2.8.1 with Anope 1.8.5. Everything is working like a charm, no errors.

The past few days, there was talk of of linking to a network that uses InspIRCd but the talk also was that our Anope would be used.

Now from what I understand about the services databases, even if you just recompiled Anope to use InspIRCd, you would get all kinds of weird things going on, or possibly Anope would refuse to start.

Am I correct or is it possible to simply convert between IRCds like this?

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
Re: Converting Databases to another IRCd
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »

You can switch no problem (changing the ircd protocol module in services.conf) but there are times where some little odd bits of behaviour occur normally centric to mlocked modes not being supported on the target ircd etc.

In short, set yourself up an InspIRCd system & test link an instance of anope to it and you'll find out for yourself if any small bits don't come clean.

If it helps on our network our db's have been bounced around between ircds back and forth with only ever small teething issues.

Testing is the key.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
Re: Converting Databases to another IRCd
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »

In addition,  I would suggest running these tests before *and* after you merge your anope databases since it sounds like you are merging. One db will be on Unreal, the other on Inspircd, so you may have different results.

A TestNet is never a bad idea, even if it's on your home PC, obviously it's best in a like environment but any testing is better than no testing!

If you have any questions about db migrations, testing, setting up a testnet or the like feel free to PM me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up