Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NickServ Registration Features  (Read 11242 times)

Victor Coss

• Anope User
    • GTAXLnet
NickServ Registration Features
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:09 AM »

I currently have it setup to email somebody when the register. <3 sendmail. On thing I don't like about this is botnets or such an abuse this and flood 'victims' email. I want a module like ns_regcode to ask the user to confirm the registration before sending an e-mail to confirm their email address. I've seen ns_regcode help stop floodbots from registering on my network. It's successful. But is not compatible while using the UseMail feature. :( I also want it where users have to type /ns REGISTER password password e-mail
So if they accidently type their password wrong, it's a verification. Also, I want it so they don't "have" to enter an e-mail address. Only if they choose, and if they chose to enter in an e-mail they will get an e-mail to confirm their email address is theirs. Also, when you group a nick (ns group Nick password) it will ask to proceed with a passcode. It won't send an e-mail, just be like confirm this action by typing /ns PROCEED dag45824
This helps against a bot herder registering a master nick and then grouping his bots to it.
Also, on the e-mail sending, instead of the name being services, can it display something like whatever you define. I want my name to display GTAXLnet Services

Thanks. Hope you understand what I mean. :)

Eyecu

• Anope User
Re: NickServ Registration Features
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:05:03 AM »

most of that is for the dev team but one point in all of that in 1.9.x atleast there is a feature already so you don't need an email address to register
Code: [Select]
/*
* Force users to give an e-mail address when they register a nick.
* This directive is recommended to be enabled, and required if e-mail registration is enabled.
*/
forceemail = yes

Victor Coss

• Anope User
    • GTAXLnet
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:06:50 AM »

Services told me that if I set UseMail on,

[gtaxlnet@excession services]$ ./services
services.conf: PreNickServDB missing
services.conf: NSForceEmail missing

I have to force email. :(

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:11:08 AM »

Services told me that if I set UseMail on,

[gtaxlnet@excession services]$ ./services
services.conf: PreNickServDB missing
services.conf: NSForceEmail missing

I have to force email. :(

If you use UseMail, then yes, you have to force the user to enter their email address.

Eyecu

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:14:53 AM »

Didn't think I had to mention that as it says it right in the description...owell i'll be more descriptive in the future. lol

Victor Coss

• Anope User
    • GTAXLnet
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 04:17:55 AM »

As stated, one of the features I requested would appear like this.

/msg NickServ REGISTER testpass bob@aol.com
-NickServ- To register your nick, please confirm this action by typing, /msg NickServ CONFIRM 985d6dg3g
-NickServ- Confirmed! A passcode has been sent to bob@aol.com, please type /msg NickServ confirm <passcode> to complete registration.
-NickServ- Nickname Test registered.

User doesn't supply an email, will show.

/msg NickServ REGISTER testpass
-NickServ- To register your nick, please confirm this action by typing, /msg NickServ CONFIRM 644gdqd745
-NickServ- Confirmed! It's best to set an e-mail address to your account if you were to ever forget your password. You can do this by typing, /msg NickServ SET EMAIL new-emailaddress@something.com
-NickServ- Nickname Test registered.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:30:49 AM by GTAXL :) »

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:37 AM »

The problem with this type of validation is it's too easy for client bots to hook NickServ notices and simply echo the confirmation code back to nickerv. It's extremely easy and is only 1 line of code for mIRC, Eggdrop, Klient and XChat just to name a few. Email validation is far more secure.

I'd post the code for mIRC, it only takes 3 seconds to write, but that would be unethical. As a hint it's a simple ON TEXT event.  :o

Victor Coss

• Anope User
    • GTAXLnet
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:49:24 AM »

Actually, the code alters. And it's a notice from NickServ. It's an extra layer of protection. It servers in the purpose of flood bots, and has been proven successful many times on my network. Don't diss ns_regcode :)

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »

Actually, the code alters.
that s what katsklaw meant.... it takes just one line of coding to have an mirc/egdrop/xchat script to send this random code nickserv sends to the client back to nickserv... that means it is probably about 100 times easier to work around then it is to implement in anope...
the fact that such an easily circumvented extra step manages to block a flood on your network means the guy doing the flooding is probably completely clueless..  ::)

As for preventing mail flooding, you can use NSEmailMax to limit the number of groups that can be created per email address.. that way a botnet couldn't possibly create enogh groups with the same mail address to flood anything..

as for changing the NS REGISTER syntax, 100s of clients and 99% of the irc population have gotten used to the current syntax, i see no reason to change that.. repeating the pass is in an IRC environment pretty pointless anyways imo.. i d care more about having decent password recovery..

as for protecting NS GROUP with a code to prevent flooding, entirely pointless imo because you can restrict the number of nicks that can be in a group with NSMaxAliases.
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Denver Freeburn

• Anope User
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:51 AM »

the nicest way to prevent flood register is to have a 30 second wait period and allow 2/3 signups per email address, then use the ns_regcode module as an extra layer. Just my opinion though :P
I'm climbing through the wrecking of all my twisted dreams but this cheap investigation just can't stifle all my screams and I'm waiting.. waiting at the crossroads.. waiting for you
Pages: [1]   Go Up