Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is there a way to edit chan.db ?  (Read 3492 times)

robclements1962

is there a way to edit chan.db ?
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:41:17 PM »

Hi All,
Is there any way to 'edit' the chan.db database?
I have had an idiot flooder create and register over 1200 channels an am wondering if I can edit the database to 'remove' them, rather than 'drop' them via mIRC ....
Many Thanks for any info offered.
Rob.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »

1> we don't support editing anything other than services.conf and example.chk
2> Enable: NSEmailMax, NSEmailReg and set CSMaxReg back to a sane number like 20 or less
3> akill and drop the user(s) nicks, dropping the nick will drop the channel as long as there is no successor set.

Short answer is no, there is no other official way to do this. We try hard to insure that Anope is secure, however we firmly believe that it is up to you as the network admin to read the configuration file carefully and have been on IRC long enough to understand what each of the settings can do. Essentually it's up to you to insure your network is secure, we can only provide you the tools and we have done that.

robclements1962

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 11:30:35 PM »

I get ya point on not supporting editing ... trouble is the flood was some sort of automated thing that used a different nick for each channel registration ... so once again i would have to find and drop each nick. The pointers you gave me above have indeed been set, unfortunately after the horse had bolted ... Agreed, it was ultimately my fault for not setting better security initially, but like us all, one lives and learns and I missed out a setting I understood but did not implement - on this, my first 'solo' attempt at setting the ircd and particularly Anope services up. At one time don't forget, all of us knew anything about ircd/services setup etc ...:P
Now, hows about an 'unofficial' way it could be done .. even if at my peril? LOL!
Thanks once again for your speedy reply,
Rob.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 11:39:59 PM »

there are no unofficial ways without taking a HUGE risk of corrupting the db. I think you'd be better of just deleteing the db if you absolutely must remove them, but I think that is not required as the channels/nicks will eventually drop, so there is really no harm in leaving them.

The "automated" process would have been prevented by using NSEmailMax and NSEmailReg fro the start. After all, that is why they are there.

At one time don't forget, all of us knew anything about ircd/services setup etc

Actually I was an IRCOp long before setting up my first services package, so when I read the docs and the example config file, I knew what I was doing already. So yes there was a first time .. but no, there wasn't really a "trial and error" period. I was trained correctly from the start, I didn't just go from user to net admin, it took every step as I was supposed to. In effect, I've never really had issues with any for of trouble maker becasue I knew how to defuse the situation long before it became a crisis.

[Edited on 18-9-2007 by katsklaw]

robclements1962

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:02:13 AM »

Many thanks again .... not going to get into a battle with you over the why's and wherefores and who did what and got 'trained correctly from the start' ... I chose to use Anope as they looked about the best for my purposes ... originally a server setup for a few personal friends who had become disillusioned with a larger server in the UK and it got left to me to set it all up. It however is growing a little bit, and friends friends aint perhaps so friendly at times. However, there is nothing better in this world than a challenge ... and I do indeed take my hat off to Anope and its help files etc etc ... and fully appreciate I have started on a very steep learning curve. I know I can just leave it and the users/channels will timexpire .. but if there was even an official/unofficial way to get it done, I would have gained one more piece of knowledge. How are you at Quantum Physics by the way? Anything I can help you with on that subject? LOL
Cheers,
Rob.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:56:58 PM »

my intentions were not to battle/debate/argue or the like at all. Sorry you misunderstood my intentions. In short I guess I was simply saying that no, I haven't forgotten that we all started somewhere .. but I was also stating that do to the fact that I was taught IRC operations and not "learn as you go" as most younger admins are today, which I'll not go further into that discussion because it can get quite lengthy. :)

I'm usually stuck in a paradox because I can understand "newbie'ism"(tm) .. but at the same time I get frustrated (not really at you, per se) when users that are trying to be admins that lack the experience they need for the job don't understand or think I'm being "holier than thou" because I try to remind them that IRC maybe for fun, but that doesn't make it easy. Think of it this way, imagine a bunch of used car salesmen starting a global ISP, now think of all the experience they are trying to gain by doing it themselves or imagine a city that hires a bunch of homeless bums as a police force with no training what so ever. Now imagine some of the questions either group would have. I'm sure you can see the frustrations created.

Good Luck and sorry we don't have the solution you expected.

Jappy

• Anope User
    • www.irc-blog.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 05:54:08 PM »

just a suggestion for future

create backup file .. and restore when problem save you a lot of work

i always have 7 days backup
Pages: [1]   Go Up