Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Services Crash After Unreal Restart - Win32  (Read 5316 times)

dragoonkain

Services Crash After Unreal Restart - Win32
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:13:16 AM »

Greetings,

I haven't used Anope on a *nix machine yet, so I wasn't sure if this was how they were supposed to work. I expected that if you restarted the IRCd, that the services would sit and wait for it to come back up (you know, check it periodically).  Instead, I find if I restart Unreal the services will crash out, thus they cannot be "started" remotely.

After restarting Unreal I looked at the services log.

[Mar 05 19:04:31 2006] Read error from server: No such file or directory (error num: 2) Point of Server Restart
[Mar 05 19:04:31 2006] LOGUSERS: root ([somebody]@localhost. => [someplace]) ([nobody]) left the network (kainz.ath.cx). Various client splits.
[Mar 05 19:04:31 2006] cs_statusupdate: module unloaded No idea what this is.
[Mar 05 19:04:31 2006] cs_statusupdate: module unloaded
[Mar 05 19:04:31 2006] PANIC! waiting=-4 (Segmentation fault) This looks suspicious
[Mar 05 19:04:31 2006] Backtrace: not available on this windows Is 'this windows' referring to Win32?
[Mar 05 19:04:31 2006] Services terminating on signal 11

Anyway, any answers are appreciated!

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 08:02:58 AM »

If the server which services are connected to dies, services will die.  Since they cant actaully do anything on there own, there's no point in them hanging around.  The fact it segfaulted is bad, (we shouldnt crash) but we should shut down.

dragoonkain

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 04:32:43 PM »

I guess that leads me to beg the question of how to start services remotely. It's very easy on CR since their services aren't actually a real seperate entity (/servstart?) I suppose if one was really froggy they could write an Unreal Mod to run services if they're hosted on the same local machine... or even have unreal SSH to the other services machine and run it from that...

Just seems a little strange if Services has their own machine and some act of God causes a desynch that services won't come back on their own. Would it be possible to write a module to have services sit and wait a while? (Not sure how deep the module can affect the actual program, that's why I ask)

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 04:55:15 PM »

Most people simply have a cron job check services every 5 minutes or so, if there not running, start them up again.  We include an example script ( example.chk ) which does this.

Regarding win32, i have no idea at all how windows deals with failed tasks, or what it can do about them, hopefully someone else will be able to tell you more :)

[Edited on 6-3-2006 by Rob]

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:37:23 PM »

Windows can't do much to recover died processes best you can hope for is a message that tells you that it died.. the system message which 99% of the time is in hex and you have do some real hacking to get any idea where the issue is.
my God my tourniquet, return to me salvation
Pages: [1]   Go Up