Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rolling release thoughts ?  (Read 4483 times)

gerry

• Anope User
rolling release thoughts ?
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »

Bit of a wildcard question this one but just curious as to if it could be a possibility in the future or as a bolt on..
with items like operating systems.. apps, webmin etc, once an upgrade/release is available its a straight forward click button and it goes through .. or with ubuntu for example.. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Would something like this be feasible for services prehaps to make it into a rolling release for all users to make it simpler for upgrading instead of having to totally redo the configs and stuff from scratch each time ?

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
Re: rolling release thoughts ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:31:26 AM »

Hi there,

It's a good question.

I can see you're posting in the 1.8.x/1.7.x section so addressing this first you should be able to just upgrade without changing the config as the 1.8.x config hasn't substantially changed for a number of years.

Should just be a case of:

- Back up existing ~/services and ~/anope-1.8*
- Download new anope-1.8.x.tar.gz
- Extract it
- cd into it, ./Config, make, make install
- Restart services and they should return on the new version.

For 1.9, it's completely different because it's still under heavy dev (hence why it's a dev branch) and changes can and do happen that make upgrades trickier but that's part of the price for using bleeding edge stuff where things do change.

I'd expect once 1.9 becomes 2.0 stable it will settle down to be similar to the 1.8 way of life so it's easy to move between.

In practice some people have re-packaged anope to be managed by something like apt/portage so they try and offer the functionality you're seeking but to be honest I've never seen any work particularly well since apt/portage tends to be system wide whereas traditionally irc software (on shell hosts etc) have multiple instances per server. Not always the case admittedly.

gerry

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »

Hi Charles and thanks for the reply..

Yes i am running 1.8.5 still but have been head/desking for a while now pondering on if should take the plunge and upgrade to the 1.9 series but am not at all keen having to redo everything from scratch again

i'm lucky to not be on a shell thankfully lol.. i got a vps with root so ok there..

food for thought anyway for you that my query and i'd be very much interested to see the outcome :)

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »

If i may add my bit here. IMVHO, package/ports never really worked well  because the amount of time and energy required to create and maintain the package exceeds that it takes to simply install it the way it was designed to be installed. Then there is the support that the port maintainer has to provide as official Anope support is effectively voided.

For an experienced admin that has used Anope before upgrading for say 1.8.5 to 1.8.7, it can literally take 30-60 seconds and just a few commands. Couple that with the fact that services really shouldn't be upgraded that often and the loss of support makes the port not worth it. I run 2-3 copies of various versions for various reasons and i still spend less than 10 minutes a month on upgrades and i'd consider myself a very active compiler. In fact i spend far more time. Compiling modules. Which is a process that  wouldn't change on port/package unless your system deletes the sources after a successful install. If the latter, you're out of luck.

Ports/packages are best used on applications that need 3rd party support like http + mysql + ssl + whatever. In that case it could take a few hours to correctly compile everything.

gerry

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »

Thats some very interesting points there Katsklaw!

I am not that experienced at installing and configuring if i had to be totally honest. i can work my way around but it doesnt half take me a while though heh..

Many thanks for the feedback on this topic and i'm glad i brought it up actually due to the comments made.
Pages: [1]   Go Up