Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Linux distribution for (Unreal)IRCd + Anope Services?  (Read 19046 times)

Plexi/Dennis

• Anope User
Best Linux distribution for (Unreal)IRCd + Anope Services?
« on: July 24, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »

Hey there fellow IRC users! :)

As I haven't been able to get the email part of Anope working on Windows 7 (even after posting the problem in here (I'm not complaining about it.)) I have thought about trying a Linux distribution on an old laptop I hardly use any longer.

But as I have never tried Linux before I know nothing about it (other than there are several distributions) and therefore also no nothing about what would be the best distribution for running (as the subject says) UnrealIRD + Anope Service pack - AND with compatibility for the sendmail (or other) email component.

Also I would like the distribution to be as much Windows like as possible as I have no (or very little) experience into DOS/commandprompt work...

Thanks in advance for all your inputs. ;)

LEthaLity

• Team
    • LEthaLity
Re: Best Linux distribution for (Unreal)IRCd + Anope Services?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »

Most people would agree that debian is the best linux distro, centos is another but can be temperamental as far as certain packages go.
As far as a laptop/desktop go, look at ubuntu or a slightly different flavour of it, Kubuntu. these have nice gui's and most windows users will find their way around ok.

Also I would like the distribution to be as much Windows like as possible as I have no (or very little) experience into DOS/commandprompt work
You really don't have much chance of that with any *nix distro, you only need a few commands when installing most irc packages anyway eg. Config, configure, make, make install.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:58:37 PM by LEthaLity »

VisioN

• Contributor
    • myIRC Project Hosting IRC Network
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »

+1 for debian.. Some linux distributions may have compiling problems when dealing with certain modules (quite unlikely tho) , have only dealt with it once while on *bsd

Plexi/Dennis

• Anope User
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 05:02:41 PM »

Most people would agree that debian is the best linux distro, centos is another but can be temperamental as far as certain packages go.
As far as a laptop/desktop go, look at ubuntu or a slightly different flavour of it, Kubuntu. these have nice gui's and most windows users will find their way around ok.
You really don't have much chance of that with any *nix distro, you only need a few commands when installing most irc packages anyway eg. Config, configure, make, make install.
Cool! I've heard of Ubuntu and Kubuntu but never tried it but I think I will...
Does it demand high specs from my laptop? Like I said, it's an old bastard! ;D

+1 for debian.. Some linux distributions may have compiling problems when dealing with certain modules (quite unlikely tho) , have only dealt with it once while on *bsd
So... Debian or (K)Ubuntu? I'm confused now. ;D

VisioN

• Contributor
    • myIRC Project Hosting IRC Network
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »

its quite unlikely that you will face any specs problems while on a *nix distribution.. they are quite low.
just take a pick, both are fine for what you need them :)

Fawkes

• Anope User
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »

Cool! I've heard of Ubuntu and Kubuntu but never tried it but I think I will...

>500mhz cpu
>256mb ram
>5gb hdd
(w)lan

everything else is up to you ;)

for a *nix starter i would recommend using ubuntu, since they have a big and helpful community, later you may go for debian on servers

Plexi/Dennis

• Anope User
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:18:19 PM »

Thank you guys!

I think I have enough inputs now!

Have a nice day. :)

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:38:26 PM »

If that all fails check out some of our sponsors at www.anope.org/sponsors.php.

Some of them do very cheap IRCd deals, one of them at the moment for £2.99 a month (half of that for the first month) offers an ircd shell with the ircd(unreal/inspircd), services, bopm, and denora stats together with some webspace.

Let me know if you need a hand.

Calintz

• Anope User
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »

You'll probably have better luck with Ubuntu over Kubuntu. KDE isn't as good as gnome, in my opinion. KDE also tends to use a little more resources than regular Ubuntu, and XUbuntu seems to use even less. But, Ubuntu in general is probably the most user friendly when it comes to Linux distros.

someone

• Anope User
    • http://www.somenet.org
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »

Many Users of windows lookalike distros tend to assume that linux and windows are the same.
They used libre office on win, they used firefox at win, they used CTRL + c/v/s and ALT + F4.
Therefore Windows is nearly the same as Linux ("you know they just moved the START-Menu")
Therefore they do not learn the basics of the system.
Therefore they step into many pitfalls, especially when a User is starting to step outside of the User's view.

I would suggest that you go for a distro that *IS NOT* Windowslike.
Go for something totally new/diffrent and learn the basics.

most likely any linux on any machine will be able to run anope + ircd.

just why is there a discussion about Ubuntu and Kubuntu or "the best server-distro"?
its totally irrelevant for ircd+services if you use kde, gnome, xfce or no X11 at all.
Also there is no "one and only server distro" (except if i just made a name-clash)

Go to wikipedia and look up linux distros, go to their websites and install them while going thru their install manual.
Play around with them, kill them, transform them. You will learn from your failures, not from "oh it works exactly like windows" experiences.
And then stick with the distro YOU liked the most.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »

Many Users of windows lookalike distros tend to assume that linux and windows are the same.
They used libre office on win, they used firefox at win, they used CTRL + c/v/s and ALT + F4.
Therefore Windows is nearly the same as Linux ("you know they just moved the START-Menu")
Therefore they do not learn the basics of the system.
Therefore they step into many pitfalls, especially when a User is starting to step outside of the User's view.

This is a common misconception. It's not the distro that is "windows-like" it's the window manager. For example KDE4 is vista/7 like but KDE4 works not only on debian but all main Linux distributions, bsd and dare I say Unix. If you don't want windows-like, then try something more diabolical like Enlightenment, Window Maker or fluxbox. All of them run just fine on Debian/*buntu.

Go to wikipedia and look up linux distros, go to their websites and install them while going thru their install manual.
Play around with them, kill them, transform them. You will learn from your failures, not from "oh it works exactly like windows" experiences.
And then stick with the distro YOU liked the most.

I completely agree *IF* the user has the interest and/or time and/or skills to do so. Otherwise I'd suggest using a windows-like distro as you put it, like Debian or *buntu. There is far more support for them than JoeBob's DuberLinux (that also runs KDE4) not to mention likely far more stable.

As for the OP, my personal favorite isn't even Linux. It's FreeBSD, more advanced in many areas, lacking in others. It makes a not so user friendly desktop OS but if you want to support thousands of users without having to recompile anything or use the kqueue I/O socket engine or assign FDMAX on a per user basis, then it's spot on! :)

Debian and *buntu (which is based on Debian) are good choices as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:57:12 PM by katsklaw »

someone

• Anope User
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »

This is a common misconception. It's not the distro that is "windows-like" it's the window manager.
yeah dude, we mean basically the same ;)

but if you correct me, I will correct you^^
I have never seen a window manager that is a windows-lookalike per the project's website itself. (try going to their websites and compiling stuff from source by yourself (did that a few years ago with gnome, xfce, kde3))
Therefore the configuration is adapted between the project's website and the User: thats where the distributors sit.
The distributors compile and package the stuff and create meaningful/plug and play/branded/... configs - which is fully ok and normal.
Its not the Window manager's fault for being shipped in a windows-lookalike configuration - the distributors do that.
Therefore calling distributions windowslike is ok - but calling window managers windowslike is not.

Edit: I recommend "rolling release" distros (at least try them) - as the version numbers/names introduced by eg. Debian/*buntu are not related to the software distributed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:49:25 PM by someone »

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »

1> I corrected what you said, not what you meant. you said windows like distribution, and I said it's not the distribution, it's the window manager. They are 2 completely different things. There are even different WM's for windows even though most people dont even know it. Distribution or OS is the DOS like stuff in the back ground, Windows manager is the GUI or Graphical User Interface. *not* the same. You can use a distribution and not use a WM .. why? because they are 2 different things. However, you can't have a WM without an underlying OS (distribution).

2> I and many others have and do compile completely from source everyday a) that's the idea behind Gentoo b) i've been using Linux longer than Gentoo has existed. Back in the day when you *had* to compile from source.

3> You see such things on websites because it makes things seem the same when they really are not. "Screenshots of the new xOS" are really screen shots of whatever WM they choose usually kde or gnome. It's the distribution that is causing the misconception. You can go to kde.org and see screenshots of KDE and they look just like screenshots of Kubuntu (because they use KDE).

4>  http://kde.org/workspaces/plasmadesktop/ <--- looks just like Kubuntu (just not running the kbuntu theme).

5> Speaking of themes, each distribution creates their own theme and configuration, but it's still the same WM. For example, I can install KDE on FreeBSD then install the kubuntu theme and it will look just like kubuntu, but it's not even Linux so obviously not the same distribution.

Screen shots of Ubuntu look different than screen shots of Kubuntu .. why? because they use different window managers. The underlying code, the OS it's self is nearly identical. Why ? because they are both basically Debian. I can show you screen shots of FreeBSD, which isn't even Linux and Kubuntu, Ubuntu or any other Linux distro you choose and make them look the exact same simply by choosing the same WM and configuration.

To make things a bit more confusing, some distributions modify they WM of choice to use other 3rd party apps and managers like compiz or nautilus and others will not. This will make one distribution seem to act a bit different than others but it's still the WM because the same configuration can be used on any distribution.

I have a challenge for you, download and install any "windows-like distribution" you want and do a custom install and not install a window manager.

Then:
1> install X (xserver from x.org).
2> install fluxbox (wm from fluxbox.org)
3> configure it so it's functional
4> remind me how it's the distribution that is "windows like".

Good day sir/ma'am.

PS: I wouldn't challenge you to do anything I haven't already done.

someone

• Anope User
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »

either my english is shittier than i thought, or you do not want to understand what i wrote and try to correct me on something we both basically agree on.
(I just cannot accept you saing a WM *is* windowslike)

I was saying that its not the base system, nor X11, but its the *configuration* of a window manager.
You keep saying that its the theme of a window manager -> exactly the same what i said, but i named it configuration (as i see themes as a subset of configuration)
But later on generalising to a windowslike WM.

Also i said, that if a desktop looks like windows, its not the Base system nor the WM, but the WM's custom *configuration*.
As I have never seen a windows lookalike WM default configuration - i assume, that if one has a windowslike distro, the configuration had to be done by the distributors (as a new user wont create a disc image just to include a windows looking theme)

I never said that the distributors wrote their own set of utils, kernels, X11, ... I said that they compile, configure and package the sources outta there. (ignoring the workflows of derived distribs and own patchsets, ...)
So you saying that all distribs use nearly the same bins still holds.

When talking about gentoo -> wasnt I suggesting a rolling release distro?
Im using gentoo since like 2006 - started with fedora core (3?) in like 2004, then a period of debian (stable too old, sid too broken) and then gentoo.
It took my now 7 year old laptop like 36 hours to do a fresh compile of gnome-light last time i had to replace my hdd (with distcc and another laptop of the same kind)
Im not gonna undertake your challenge as i allready did that in like 2006 (in the dark times, where X11 actually needed a xorg.conf and 3d hardwaresupport was not gonna happen with a rv250) and im not gonna install X11 on my servers.

In my first post i was pointing out the (new) unknowledgable Users' way of thinking about Linux. As i have been a Zivildiener @ an Archive where I tried to shift the users from open office on Win 95 and Win2000 to Ubuntu (3 Years ago) and therefore made ubuntu really look like winXP (there is that emerald theme outta somewhere)
Later i had an argument with one of our "tech-savy" user going something like this:
Quote from: someone
Why is my document missing from my usbdrive?
I allways deleted the M$ Word tempfiles by opening the doc and doing CTRL + A, SHIFT+DEL in its directory.
So I learned my lesson and since that I suggest everyone to go for something *not* looking anything like windows and to learn the basics from the beginning.

You then started correcting my post where no correction was needed.
Posting generalized stuff (as long as it does not create false information) is imho better for new users than going into all detail. As full detail is irrelevant (For anope he/she doesnt need X11 - so why talk about desktop envioronments and the possibility of a "windows-like" WM at all?) and will feel as a wall that they cannot overcome and they will go back to winbloat.

most likely any linux on any machine will be able to run anope + ircd.

just why is there a discussion about Ubuntu and Kubuntu or "the best server-distro"?
its totally irrelevant for ircd+services if you use kde, gnome, xfce or no X11 at all.
He/she should have at least tried something like DSL.

Otherwise I'd suggest using a windows-like distro as you put it, like Debian or *buntu.
And here my english fail'd. i actually said the total opposite:
Also i never said that Debian or *Buntu was windowslikely configured.

we might seem to have a diffrent definition of "distribution":
I say a distribution is a packaged and configured (and possibly compiled) selection of programs and distributors should be credited for doing this work: packaging, configuring (and possibly compiling), keeping the software working together as a whole (by configuring the components)
So I see a distribution as a set of tools like the package manager, the package repository, the tools to create that repository and custom configurations of (all) the other software that is being provided in the repo.
But thinking of distributions as a whole including the software distributed leads to the wrong implication that the software distributed was created by the distributors which leads to giving credit to the distributors and NOT to the people that really created the software.

So if I am saying $distro is crap it could mean that their package manager, their repo mirroring, package format, ... is crap
But it NEVER means that eg the libre office as application is crap (but it could mean that libre office's distributed config is crap)

So - the reason why i corrected your correction was to get rid of the imho very wrong statement, that a window manager is windowslike.

Its the same with cars:
You can call a car that is manufactured by ferrari and repainted to camouflage by an "armylike-cars" reseller "armylike".
But you cannot call cars by ferrari "armylike", just because one vendor repaints them to camouflage.
So where are WMs diffrent?

PS: we might should stop arguing about that here. its like the wrong board/mailinglist for that ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:55:28 PM by someone »
Pages: [1]   Go Up