Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MYSQL and services lagging  (Read 5977 times)

Gumbie

• Anope User
MYSQL and services lagging
« on: April 18, 2007, 04:52:24 AM »

I know mysql feature is beta at best, but i notice sever lag with mysql usage. I had to disable it....

My question is; Is there a way maybe to config MySQl to be more effiecient?  My irc-network is very lightly loaded. Only 4 client servers, Anope, and 90+ clients max.... the lag when using mysql is insane!  the ping results are great, but command responses are over 120 seconds or worse at times....  Server load is under 0.09- ...

I am hoping theres a a tweak for mysql!???

-Gumbie <gumbie@rmachine.net>

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 04:57:51 AM »

It's the quality of the mysql code in Anope that is causing the lag. This is a known issue.

Topping this thread in hopes that yet another thread isn't started since most users don't know how to search the forum before creating a new thread.

Gumbie

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 05:06:02 AM »

I did a search!    one for "mysql" and a second for "mysql speed"   both turned up nothing!  sorry if this is out of context and any admin wishing to relocate thread has my thanks in advance.....

I really desire mysql to function atleast as well as flat DB files do....   If a developer can point me to current activities on this project that i may read as so i can be up to speed i"d be more than happy to try to contribute!

-Gumbie

[Edited on 17-4-2007 by Gumbie]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 05:19:15 AM »

I searched for "services lag" and "sql lag" and both returned results. I really didn't need to search since I've probably answered all of them anyway.

Also, my lack of search statement wasn't aimed at you solely because it's a popular trend lately. There is atleast 50 threads on connecting Unreal to Anope that have the error of No such file or directory.

Another example is there are threads that are topped and have big "[README]" all over them and some people still create new threads on the topic.

If a developer can point me to current activities on this project that i may read as so i can be up to speed i"d be more than happy to try to contribute!

There is no need to require a coder to reply, basicly what's going on is we are in a feature lock awaiting the release of 1.8 stable.

As 1.9 becomes the development branch we are going to attempt to start phase 3, but that is still a long way off. Since the sql code is getting such a huge make over, I doubt there is much anyone can do unless they are willing to code the sql interface from scratch.

The code is being completely re-wrote so it's not a simple, "make a patch and submit it" kind of scenario. We also have other modularization code being change/added in 1.9 as well and the sql code would need to work with that as well.

We haven't really had a sit down meeting to discuss 1.9 features. Everyone has a wishlist, but nothing has been presented formaly before the entire team.

To be honest, disabling sql and wait is the best solution.

[Edited on 17-4-2007 by katsklaw]

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 08:35:47 AM »

Originally posted by Gumbie
   I really desire mysql to function atleast as well as flat DB files do....

as far as i know, that s impossible...
to store anything in sql, services have to address another service (may not even be on the same box) which is significantly slower then simple disk I/O

and if you want to "read", you can read http://forum.anope.org/viewthread.php?tid=1371
It should be noted though that should you chose to apply the patch yourself, you will void your support.

[Edited on 18-4-2007 by Viper]
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

hod

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 08:57:46 PM »

I just upgraded to the latest version today, to be honest i don't know from what version, but i'm pretty sure it was pre 1.7.17.
Before it was running fine, MySQL updates taking less then a second, after the upgrade, when Anope is updating the tables, it will hug the database, put CPU to 300% on the mysql process, and make a lot of delayed inserts. While doing updates, Anope freezes on irc, which besides from making it unresponsive, also makes the botserv kickers kick people for flooding etc, because when it stops lagging it will process a lot of messages.

Could it be that something changed with the scheme update, that made performance really bad? This is the first i've had of this kinda problem.
I don't really need the MySQL data, but i use MySQL with anope for the ns_ajoin module.

Edit: oh, and my database is no more then 500kb in size

[Edited on 22-6-2007 by hod]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »

Originally posted by hod
I just upgraded to the latest version today, to be honest i don't know from what version, but i'm pretty sure it was pre 1.7.17.
Before it was running fine, MySQL updates taking less then a second, after the upgrade, when Anope is updating the tables, it will hug the database, put CPU to 300% on the mysql process, and make a lot of delayed inserts. While doing updates, Anope freezes on irc, which besides from making it unresponsive, also makes the botserv kickers kick people for flooding etc, because when it stops lagging it will process a lot of messages.

Could it be that something changed with the scheme update, that made performance really bad? This is the first i've had of this kinda problem.
I don't really need the MySQL data, but i use MySQL with anope for the ns_ajoin module.

Edit: oh, and my database is no more then 500kb in size

[Edited on 22-6-2007 by hod]

Did you even read this thread? .. We've been discussing this exact thing! Do NOT use mysql because it's not in the best of condition!! It needs fixed, it's on the to-do list.

hod

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 04:37:50 PM »

Well yes it needs fixing, but why break it in the first place?
It was working alright before?!

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 05:31:56 PM »

It wasn't. It was so fast because it did all the things in the wrong way. After fixing that it became quite a bit slower, mostly because the database does not have the correct indexes for the new queries yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up