Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic setup, modes and bots tutorial?  (Read 2422 times)

marxx

Basic setup, modes and bots tutorial?
« on: February 11, 2007, 01:20:37 PM »

Hi!

I'm new whit this running own IRC server thing and I'm little confused about server basic setups, modes and bots..

What is good setup for basic server? Security ..
What modes should atleast be?
How can I make bot for keeping room alive and add op modes for specific users?
I want to users to autojoin my default room.. Is that possible?

Thanks for all help!!

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »

"What is good setup for basic server? Security .."

The "basics" are already setup  with most ircds/services as their default configuration. Some things can still be improved upon, but the default is a good running example until you figure out what you want.

"What modes should atleast be?"

This is a question that could likely end up as troll fodder, it's basiclly like asking 100 different people and getting 99 different answers and the bottom line is nothing more complex than "personal preference". Just play and find out what you like best, you can't become an expert over night.

"How can I make bot for keeping room alive and add op modes for specific users?"

Bots don't make channels "alive" .. people do. Without users you have a network full of bots. Don't focus on that, focus on growing your network with real users ... then the channels will keep them selves alive.

"I want to users to autojoin my default room.. Is that possible?"

Possible? .. yes, does your IRCd allow it? .. that's another question. However, most people hate being forced into a channel against their will and many such people with leave and never return to your network and like I said above, a net with no users is just a server full of bots. don't force users to do anything .. let them choose for themselves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up