Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel Age Restriction  (Read 10774 times)

TheDevil09

• Anope User
Channel Age Restriction
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »

I'd like to suggestion a channel age restriction module.

The idea would be when you register a channel (or for channels allready registered) you can do /msg chanserv age 0 13 16 18 20 (etc etc 0 meaning any age) to join the channel

on registration you asked to confirm your age by doing /msg nickserv age dd/mm/yy (being d.o.b) if you match the age score so for example are over 18 it allows you into the channel.

Otherwise it kicks and bans your nick/host with the message this is an (age+) channel. If you are over (age) please confirm you D.O.B by doing /msg nickserv age dd/mm/yy

I've found a module for UnrealIRCD by setting mode X on a room and then umode X but its full of fail because if you remove mode X from the room you still need umode X for it to work.

Thanks

TheDevil!

DigitalMan

• Anope User
    • Zach Mitchell
Re: Channel Age Restriction
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »

This is definitely something to look into. I am new to module writing so I'm not sure that I personally would be able to make this, but I will sure give it a go as soon as I have time.  ;)
Zach Mitchell
Anope User

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »

There is no way to realistically enforce this. Anyone could easily just lie about their age.

casper1256

• Anope User
    • http://www.chatspecial.nl
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »

Correct, but this way no one can ever blame you for allowing kids in sex rooms as you did what you can to prevent it. I'd like to see such module!
Network Administrator
ChatSpecial.nl

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »

Well, yes...however I think some people would have an issue with their DOB being collected. Some people already don't like that IRC networks collect email addresses and store them. The more personal information you collect, the more liability you have. I've seen COPPA issues come up on IRC before - so while it's a good idea in theory it'd be hard to implement.

I think if someone were to do this, it'd be easier to collect by age. Instead of getting a DOB, users could be prompted for their age. Services could then "forget" this information after it was checked. This means it would have to be entered every time they wanted to come in the room, but it'd be less personal information to collect. Again, this method would be easy to fake though. Hard to say.

casper1256

• Anope User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 04:33:45 PM »

In my opinion it should not be forced to have it collected while registering. The other thing then is that you can't join 18+ rooms untill you enter a birthdate (or age). Once entered however the user should not be able to change it after he/she has found out that joining some rooms is prohibited.
Network Administrator
ChatSpecial.nl

Muad_Dib

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »

Well, yes...however I think some people would have an issue with their DOB being collected. Some people already don't like that IRC networks collect email addresses and store them. The more personal information you collect, the more liability you have. I've seen COPPA issues come up on IRC before - so while it's a good idea in theory it'd be hard to implement.

I think if someone were to do this, it'd be easier to collect by age. Instead of getting a DOB, users could be prompted for their age. Services could then "forget" this information after it was checked. This means it would have to be entered every time they wanted to come in the room, but it'd be less personal information to collect. Again, this method would be easy to fake though. Hard to say.

Well, some forums etc collect DOB too, and often they are linked to networks/channels. A possibility would be to store this information hashed, so it can not be retreived, only checked? And as casper said, you could do such a thing where you only have to enter DOB if you want to join an age-restricted channel? Although faking is quite easy in this way, responsibility isn't on the networks staff.

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »

I don't think it'd be collected at registration, but collecting it in general is kind of a gray area. In order to prohibit it being changed it would have to be stored somewhere - if a 12 year old enters the right DOB and it gets stored, you are responsible for the security of that information (the same issues come up with collecting emails really...like I said this just adds to your liability).

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »

Well, some forums etc collect DOB too, and often they are linked to networks/channels. A possibility would be to store this information hashed, so it can not be retreived, only checked? And as casper said, you could do such a thing where you only have to enter DOB if you want to join an age-restricted channel? Although faking is quite easy in this way, responsibility isn't on the networks staff.

That's a possibility I suppose - I just think that's more effort than it's really worth (getting into hashes and stuff) when +s would suffice :P

TheDevil09

• Anope User
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »

There is no way to realistically enforce this. Anyone could easily just lie about their age.

Indeed they could be at least by showing your collecting the information shows your network is enrcording this so if someone lied then the network could not be blamed for any activty that takes place in a channel.

Having an option to give your age would be pointless as if you where say 15 you would allways be 15. Where as collecting the D.O.B allows it to be up to date.

Also its optional if you dont want to give your D.O.B you simply can't join the channel.

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 05:04:56 PM »

No, the age would have to be given every time like I said. My main concern is that the information could be used maliciously - email addresses on some IRC networks have been added to spam lists...

DigitalMan

• Anope User
    • Zach Mitchell
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »

Amanda does make a good point, as always.  ;)
Zach Mitchell
Anope User

casper1256

• Anope User
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »

That's why this feature should be option while registering and should not be required.. Then, as user of the network, you can decide if you trust them enough :)
Network Administrator
ChatSpecial.nl

TheDevil09

• Anope User
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »

That's why this feature should be option while registering and should not be required.. Then, as user of the network, you can decide if you trust them enough :)

Hence why a module like this would be usefull. You dont give your D.O.B durning sign up but to use restricted rooms you need to supply your D.O.B

Its optional stuff. If you dont give your D.O.B you dont join the room.
Pages: [1]   Go Up