Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Geo Localisation - auto language upon connection with NickServ  (Read 7981 times)

Rodrigo Queiroz

• Anope User
Geo Localisation - auto language upon connection with NickServ
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »

Hi there,

I do not know if this has been asked before, I believe a great feature would be to set the language based on the user's ip upon connection.

There could be some geoip localisation integration with services so that when user's connect they get their own language at connection.

Obviously this would be something to do with NickServ and this new feature would make sense with 1.9+.

Regards,
Rodrigo Queiroz

Jan Milants

• Team
Re: Geo Localisation - auto language upon connection with NickServ
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »

since unregistered users can't change their language, how would you propose they set it back to english if it is set to something they don't at all understand? if i go to greece and get some sort of greek gibberish from services, for example telling me to change nick or be killed, how will I know..?

And personally, i hate auto language.. it never gets it right.. i live in a country with just 3 language, nvm countries like india with 100s, and more often then not, it gets it wrong..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

cirinho

• Anope User
  • vIRCio.org
    • vIRCio.org
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:57:08 AM »

only just in the nick registration. Then, if wrong language the user has the option to use the command set language as usual to correct if error.

Rodrigo Queiroz

• Anope User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 02:12:54 AM »

since unregistered users can't change their language, how would you propose they set it back to english if it is set to something they don't at all understand? if i go to greece and get some sort of greek gibberish from services, for example telling me to change nick or be killed, how will I know..?

And personally, i hate auto language.. it never gets it right.. i live in a country with just 3 language, nvm countries like india with 100s, and more often then not, it gets it wrong..

I believe this could be optional and there could be a message in English saying, if this is not your language please select from the following available languages, and on nickserv.conf or services.conf where you have the option to activate this or not you could personalize a message to appear.

I understand your concern about the flexibility on this feature, however I think it would suit most of the people utilizing Anope and again another reason to choice Anope as their services, IRC should also improve with time and so there should be more functionality.

Regards,
Rodrigo Queiroz

Jeff Fuhrman

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 02:14:41 AM »

Even if this doesn't get added in as a core feature for Anope, it could probably be worked up in a module.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:33:34 AM »

Completely bad idea. If i am on vacation in a foreign country and visited  a new network i wont understand what services is saying and i'll leave. Not that geoip is really that accurate to start with. I've personally seen it off by hundreds of miles.

Lets also remember that some people use bouncers to hide their ip so geoip can be can place them in a completely different country.

Cirinho, unregistered users cant use set language and registered users wont be affected by this as they already have a language set.

Trying to "guess" someones language is more inaccurate than the current method. Again, completely bad idea.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:36:36 AM by katsklaw »

Jeff Fuhrman

• Anope User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:37:59 AM »

I can see a use for this though. On my network, I have a good share of Spanish speakers who don't speak English, and I have Anope set to use English. Problematically, the spanish speakers can't understand what NickServ is saying. If there was a way to override it somehow, or if it would send in both the default langauge (Usually English) AND the Geo-located language, it might be useful.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 02:49:27 AM »

That still doesn't account for geoip inaccuracies and if you have duel language userbase, you can always put instructions in your motd and/or dedicate a server to them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up