Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hosting Provider for IRCd/Anope/etc.  (Read 12724 times)

gmoon

Hosting Provider for IRCd/Anope/etc.
« on: March 07, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »

I'm looking for a top-quality commercial hosting provider for a fully managed IRCd solution.

Quality of service and expertise matters most, not cost.

Thanks for any recommendations!

lonewolf

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:54:41 PM »

Try looking on google for "dedicated server"

(note that not every hosting company wants ircd or ircd related things in their data center)

Want to spend al lot of money, look for: top-quality commercial hosting provider
:9

Vorex

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 12:05:38 AM »

I've used vectori.net in the past, and their boxes had uptimes of 400+ days, it was the most reliable ircd host i've ever used, but the price was too much for me, I think their prices START at $35.00 for 1 bg.

gmoon

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 01:10:59 AM »

I'm looking for managed IRCd hosting.

I don't have to recompile web servers, patch OS, update kernel on managed servers.  Why should I have to do this for IRCd services?

Surely there is a reliable company that performs these services for its customers?  There are several that provide excellent hosted chatroom services, but they all require Java.

Thanks for any and all tips leading to such a company.

Originally posted by lonewolf
Try looking on google for "dedicated server"

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 01:57:37 AM »

Most shell providers will make sure the box itself is kept up to date, but what you do with your shell is up to you.  Most if not all are completely hands off when it comes to what happens in the shells themselves.  This is because of the "I want" factor

Some users want to have the bleeding edge.. svn/cvs copies of the ircds, services etc.. others want stable and known working, and others want to get in there and get their hands dirty and modify stuff, the management nightmare of such a setup is more then I think any providers is willing to do.
my God my tourniquet, return to me salvation

SkaterStuff

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 06:40:50 PM »

Or you can try me.. 2 months ago we started to host ircds and to give out shells. just pm me and we can talk :)

Andrew B.

• o.O
  • Contributor
    • Keyboard-Failure
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 01:35:45 PM »

We've got a server on shellfx.com, it goes down, but.. I think we're on a shitty shared server... It has like the lowest uptime, but their other servers have pretty good uptimes.. *shrugs*
Andrew Berquist,

irc.kbfail.net

SpaceDoG

• Anope User
    • http://www.hypermutt.net
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 01:58:41 PM »

Heh... I'll gladly run an IRCd server for ya off my server for $10 a month! Hell you should just move your channel onto my server since I already have it running! Seriously though I have to agree with the others there are very few companies which are willing to run stuff like that for you. Your best bet is to just find and IRC Server which the admin usually keeps up to date. Kinda like mine. I run a CVS version of Unreal because it has the CGI:IRC module built into it which basically shows a users cloaked IP instead of a cloaked server IP. It works wonders for people who try to ban evade with it. Also if a company does run the IRCd for you it's pretty much gonna be hands off for you. They'll run it and you can ask what you would like done but most of the time it won't happen because they would go for stability and such. Me I've had plenty of luck running the CVS stuff and not having problems. Granted I only have just over 100 users or so on my network but hey. Anywho if you're out for servers that are already running try http://www.gogloom.com. You can look up any network on there such as http://gogloom.com/Hypermutt/. Your best bet is and always will be to run your own network so you can dictate what happens on and to the server.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:20:27 PM »

Originally posted by gmoon
I'm looking for managed IRCd hosting.

I don't have to recompile web servers, patch OS, update kernel on managed servers.  Why should I have to do this for IRCd services?

Surely there is a reliable company that performs these services for its customers?  There are several that provide excellent hosted chatroom services, but they all require Java.

Thanks for any and all tips leading to such a company.

Drop by my network (irc.nfinate-irc.org) I may be interested in doing this for you ... depending on what your needs are and which IRCd. Changes can be made typically within a few hours.

I've personally been an IRC admin for about 10 years and have used every mainstream IRCd and have been involved with several ircd/services projects offering end-user support.

[Edited on 30-5-2006 by katsklaw]

hc2995

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 07:00:18 PM »

well i dont think youll find a company that handles all the work (onless you pay a good amount of cash ;)) but most companys will keep the server running and updated ECT... but YOU have to manage the IRCd, services, and other stuff after all when you look at it managing ppls stuff can get very tiring after a while (say the company has 4000 IRC servers i dont think they will manage each on of them onless they have a control panel to let the owner do with it as they wish :D)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 11:20:28 PM »

The fact that this is a 3 month old thread should mean that nobody will be following it anymore meaning posting in it is pointless.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up