Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anope going unresponsive, hogging CPU  (Read 13163 times)

Rhainor

• Anope User
Anope going unresponsive, hogging CPU
« on: February 07, 2009, 09:10:37 PM »

This morning, Anope started doing something strange.  It'll start taking up all available CPU, and shortly thereafter, UnrealIRCd reports that services have stopped responding, and that it has closed the link.  If I kill the process and restart Anope, it works fine for a while, but eventually does the same thing again.

When this started, I was using Anope v1.7.  I tried updating to v1.8 in the hopes that it would solve the problem, but it has not.

Server info:
home server running WinXP x86
CPU: Pentium 3 1GHz
RAM: 1GB

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
Re: Anope going unresponsive, hogging CPU
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:15:54 PM »

Hi there,

This is the first time I've seen Anope utilise all of the CPU and then stop responding and close the link.

Can you confirm a couple of things for us?

1) When it closes the link, does the CPU usage go down?
2) Can you show us taskmgr showing the CPU being fully used in graph view so we can see whether it's maxing it consistently for a period of time.
3) Can you tell us which modules you're using please (output of /os modlist)
4) Finally, can you run anope in -debug mode and send us the logfile next time it happens so we can see what's happening?

Thanks.

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »

It's not actually 100% of CPU being used, but it stays above 75%.  My CPU-usage-graph gadget shows maxxed, but it's not perfectly accurate.

Usage does not go down until the Anope.exe process is ended.

I started Anope in debug mode, and will take a screenshot the next time it crashes.

Here's a log snippet from mIRC showing Unreal's report of services not responding (line 1), services connecting on Anope restart (lines 2-5), and the output of '/os modlist' (lines 6-14)

Code: [Select]
[16:04] -irc.far-side-of-reality.net- *** Notice -- No response from services.localhost[127.0.0.1], closing link
-
[16:20] -irc.far-side-of-reality.net- *** Notice -- WARNING: Remote doesnt have link::options::zip set. Compression disabled.
-
[16:20] -irc.far-side-of-reality.net- *** Notice -- (link) Link irc.far-side-of-reality.net -> services.localhost[@127.0.0.1.1190] established
-
[16:20] -irc.far-side-of-reality.net- *** Notice -- Possible negative TS split at link services.localhost (1234041674 - 1234041676 = -2)
-
[16:20] -irc.far-side-of-reality.net- *** Notice -- Link services.localhost -> irc.far-side-of-reality.net is now synced [secs: -2 recv: 1.1001 sent: 2.859]
-
[16:23] -OperServ- Current Module list:
-
[16:23] -OperServ- Module: cs_appendtopic [$Id: cs_appendtopic.c 1826 2008-12-05 21:07:22Z jantje_85 $] [Supported]
-
[16:23] -OperServ- Module: cs_enforce [$Id: cs_enforce.c 1826 2008-12-05 21:07:22Z jantje_85 $] [Supported]
-
[16:23] -OperServ- Module: enc_none [$Id: enc_none.c 1826 2008-12-05 21:07:22Z jantje_85 $] [Encryption]
-
[16:23] -OperServ- Module: hs_request [$Id: hs_request.c 1826 2008-12-05 21:07:22Z jantje_85 $] [Supported]
-
[16:23] -OperServ- Module: ns_maxemail [$Id: ns_maxemail.c 1826 2008-12-05 21:07:22Z jantje_85 $] [Supported]
-
[16:23] -OperServ- Module: os_info [$Id: os_info.c 1826 2008-12-05 21:07:22Z jantje_85 $] [Supported]
-
[16:23] -OperServ- Module: unreal32 [$Id: unreal32.c 1858 2008-12-21 17:49:04Z jantje_85 $] [Protocol]
-
[16:23] -OperServ- 7 Modules loaded.

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »

Here's the Task Manager screenshot:

And here's the Anope debug log, starting at the 'Anope.exe -debug' startup:
http://pastebin.com/m15ebfc62

katsklaw

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:35:06 PM »

*** Notice -- WARNING: Remote doesnt have link::options::zip set. Compression disabled.

Take the options sub-block completely out of services link block as the instructional comment within the block tells you to do.

The above wouldn't cause this issue, perhaps you can provide services logs. But I'd check U:Lines first.

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »

*** Notice -- WARNING: Remote doesnt have link::options::zip set. Compression disabled.

Take the options sub-block completely out of services link block as the instructional comment within the block tells you to do.

Done.  That one line no longer appears in the status window when Anope starts.

Quote from: katsklaw
...I'd check U:Lines first.

There is a U:Line for Anope ('services.localhost'), if that's what you mean.

katsklaw

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »

please reply with ServerName from services.conf and the output of /stats U from all servers. That's capital U not lowercase u.

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:36:34 PM »

ServerName  "services.localhost"

/stats U
U services.localhost
End of /STATS report

(only one server)

katsklaw

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 02:32:20 AM »

thank you. Is this a new database or a set from another server?

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 02:40:57 AM »

Not sure what you're getting at.  This IRC server and Anope Services had been running for months with no problem whatsoever.  Then it spontaneously started exhibiting this problem.  No changes were made to any configurations, so that can't be the cause.

katsklaw

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 04:17:01 AM »

it's a possibility that something happened in the databases that is causing issues. Are you running mysql?

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 06:00:40 AM »

No.  I have MySQLi running on the machine, but Anope is not configured to use it.

katsklaw

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:41:32 PM »

hmm, well I'm not sure why it would use so much CPU. Like chaz this is the first I've heard of it without it being one of the issues I've asked about.

Is this happening only on 1.8 or did it happen on older versions as well?

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 08:29:59 PM »

As I said in my first post, when it started, I was using 1.7.  I upgraded to 1.8 hoping that would fix it; when it didn't, I came here.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »

Alright, can you move your DB's out of the way for a minute and load up with no databases so it recreates them and see if its any better.

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 10:16:29 PM »

Alright, can you move your DB's out of the way for a minute and load up with no databases so it recreates them and see if its any better.

Hmm...you may be on to something here.

I moved the DBs to a backup folder, and started Anope back up (in debug mode, just in case).  It's been going for 20 minutes now with no problems.

katsklaw

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »

I guess I didn't word it correctly several days ago when I mentioned the databases ;P

I hope it works for you.

Rhainor

• Anope User
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »

I guess I didn't word it correctly several days ago when I mentioned the databases ;P

I hope it works for you.

You asked if they were new databases, or imported from another server.  They were neither -- from the same server, just several months old.  Hence my confusion.

katsklaw

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 01:41:22 AM »

You asked if they were new databases, or imported from another server.  They were neither -- from the same server, just several months old.  Hence my confusion.

hence my "not worded correctly" statement ;P

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »

Now, whilst this isn't a solution at all it at least it sheds some light.

So, your other databases,

How large are they? (filesize/number of users/chans/etc)
Have they increased dramatically over the last year? (Check backups.)
Which encryption module are they using?

Have you *ever* used any third party modules you may have got rid of? (I'm interested in the "quality" of your databases...)

I may even be inclined to suggest (as a very last resort) loading the DBs, dumping them to SQL, checking through them, wiping the .db's (back up ofc!) and reloading them in from SQL before binning SQL again at least knowing the DBs are clean.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up