Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Can Help  (Read 5606 times)

Hassankhalid

Anyone Can Help
« on: January 05, 2007, 07:04:18 PM »

/dns anynameofserver

* Dns resolved name to ip

how i can create fake dns so that real ips secure??

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »

you need to pick different subject names when you create new threads .. currently you have 2 with the exact same subject and neither apply to the topic of the thread.

Secondly, you can't fake dns for irc servers because clients need real ips to connect to. If you are refering to services or non-client/dedicated hubs then you simply do not create an A record for them so the host doesn't resolve.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 11:51:02 PM »

Or instead of not creating the record you can always create the record pointing to 127.0.0.1

But as katsklaw said it is impossible to create a fake DNS to keep real IP's secure because by doing so you leav your clients with NO server IP's to connect to.

Personally in my dns ive set services, stats and hub to 127.0.0.1, all my other servers (because theyre used so clients can connect) are set to their correct IP.

And before you suggest having the DNS return a fake IP unless it's an IRC client looking it up, the DNS server has no way to tell what program is looking up the host.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »

Originally posted by Jobe1986
Or instead of not creating the record you can always create the record pointing to 127.0.0.1

That shouldn't work. IRCd's tend to lookup the IP to a hostname first, and then lookup the hostname again to see if it resolves back to the IP. If these don't match, your IP will still be shown.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 11:36:52 AM »

Originally posted by GeniusDex
That shouldn't work. IRCd's tend to lookup the IP to a hostname first, and then lookup the hostname again to see if it resolves back to the IP. If these don't match, your IP will still be shown.

Seems you missed the point:

Hassankhalid
how i can create fake dns so that real ips secure??

I was talking about how to secure hostnames such as services.domain and hub.domain so nobody could use the hostname to retrieve the IP. Not securing reverse lookups.

But now i think about the question i wonder if thats what he meant in the first place. But how the question was asked, including example, suggests he was refering to server names.

[Edited on 6-1-2007 by Jobe1986]
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up