Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few simple, practical requests  (Read 9341 times)

chris

• Anope User
A few simple, practical requests
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:13:29 AM »

Hello. I have a few requests.

One, a ChanServ BAN module that allows banning of both nicknames and usermasks in the same command. If a nick is given and the nick is not online, it bans nick!*@*, and the same for /cs UNBAN,

Another is ChanServ MODE, which allows remote setting of modes to a channel. +vhoaq may not be used by this, as there are other appropriate commands which address this.

Next up, we have ChanServ STAFF, which returns information about online staff and their levels (similar to bs_fantasy_ext, just in private)

ChanServ BANS command, which allows remote viewing of a channel's BanList (cmode +b) and Akick List and denotes which is which.

The next, an OperServ IRCOP list which restricts /oper privileges to users on that list - if they aren't on the list and identified, OperServ takes their umode +o. OperServ IRCOP ADD/DEL/LIST <nick> - ALL opers have to be on THIS list to /Oper, unless they are on SOper, SAdmin, or SRoot list.

Another is the OperServ DEOPER command, used via /operserv DEOPER <nick> - which removes all opermodes from said nick.

And someone PLEASE bring back ns_infospy :(

Adam

• Team
Re: A few simple, practical requests
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »

FYI, your first two requests exist in 1.9 already

chris

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »

I'm wondering if its possible to get it in a module compatible w 1.8.7?

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:33:38 PM »

One, a ChanServ BAN module that allows banning of both nicknames and usermasks in the same command. If a nick is given and the nick is not online, it bans nick!*@*, and the same for /cs UNBAN,

For the not lazy, /whowas <nick> then ban/akick whichever address(es).

Another is ChanServ MODE, which allows remote setting of modes to a channel. +vhoaq may not be used by this, as there are other appropriate commands which address this.

Not sure what you mean here. especially by the phrase "remote setting of modes". If you are referring to something similair to operserv MODE, then it hasn't a place in ChanServ and seems a bit nazi'ish.

Next up, we have ChanServ STAFF, which returns information about online staff and their levels (similar to bs_fantasy_ext, just in private)

+1

ChanServ BANS command, which allows remote viewing of a channel's BanList (cmode +b) and Akick List and denotes which is which.

1>Some IRCds allow non-opped users to see the banlist already.
2> Speaking as a Channel Owner: If you are the one banned, memo me and we will talk about it. If you are not, then it's none of your business who is banned/akicked. I have the right to ban/akick whom I wish with or without reason. IRC has been run that way since the beginning.

Just my opinion.

The next, an OperServ IRCOP list which restricts /oper privileges to users on that list - if they aren't on the list and identified, OperServ takes their umode +o. OperServ IRCOP ADD/DEL/LIST <nick> - ALL opers have to be on THIS list to /Oper, unless they are on SOper, SAdmin, or SRoot list.

Only link to servers who has a trustworthy admin that way you know they wont add users that would need permission to oper up. This also sounds a bit nazi'ish.

Another is the OperServ DEOPER command, used via /operserv DEOPER <nick> - which removes all opermodes from said nick.

Completely nazi'ish! Again .. trust. you shouldn't have a reason to deoper another oper unless they go rogue, in which case, ban their oper mask and kill them. This works very well unless you are stupid enough to use and/or allow *@* in oper masks. If you are, then you have much bigger problems.

ns_infospy: Just like +W, it's not really so practical nor useful and can and has caused many problems especially with users/opers that dont know what's really happening.

Some people think that they can be attacked or "/whois flooded". Completely false, a user will be disconnected for filling their sendQ loong before they can flood anything with a /whois request. Not to mention that /whois output comes from the server and not the oper/user. Another myth is that users that /whois an ircop are seeking help .. again, not always true. /ns info and /whois are information gathering tools about users/opers, there is no way to get flooded, attacked nor is it an indication that users need help.

Others believe that by offering help to those that /whois'ed them they are saving bandwidth by immediately addressing the user with assistance, this is also false. Everytime a user /whois's an oper it wastes bandwidth and cpu cycles notifying the oper in question.

/whois oper
<oper> Can I help you?
<user> No.
<oper> Then why did you /whois me?
<user> Because I can.
*close PM window*

Another common use is automated reply scripts ranging from trying to be helpful to retaliation from the oper back on the user.

Bottom line is opers don't really need to know when someone /whois or /ns info's them. it's an invitation for harassment complaints and for paranoid users to think you are spying on them, and rightfully so. In addition, as an oper/admin you have more important things to do with your time other than monitor who is looking at you not to mention there are somethings that happen on IRC that as an oper/admin, you really don't need to know or see unless you're a Nazi! ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:48:31 PM by katsklaw »

chris

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:45:23 AM »

Look, I understand where you're coming from, but really that's why I'm requesting these as MODULES. My userbase isn't the most irc savvy and I want to make it a lot easier for people to use my irc network. Yeah, I know the whole "to properly administrate you need to know irc..." argument, but I'm not asking them to be made into the source for EVERY user.. I'm willing to pay someone to make them just for me, to support UnrealIRCd, because I know what I need for my network, and I just can't create the modules on my own. I went to a network in the past when I first started using irc and the easy to use simple commands where basically "chanserv did everything for you" and it helped me learn a lot and sparked my interest in using ircd further. All I'm asking for is things that not everyone may like, but I would find extremely useful. I'm not asking for *stupid* things like another service to do x and y when an already present service can do it, but I am asking for things that make my network based more around services which I find easier to control a network given that services is the central common thing all servers on my network respond to.

And the stuff about linking to trustworthy servers with the IRCOPS db, yeah, I know, but, following that logic, just make it so anope gives all opers servicesroot access and get rid of all operlevels since you can trust EVERYONE with EVERYTHING, right? You just can't. Thats like telling people to just "stay in jail" and trusting them with no bars.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »

ok first. Just relax, it was only an opinion. If you run some kind of specialized network, then ok, I might be interested in coding at least some of these. I'm not interested in releasing some of these to general public networks. Call it morals or whatever.

Secondly, most of your requests can be done fairly easily. what kind of time frame are you wanting? How much are you willing to pay?

Lastly, your "jail" analogy is fundamentally flawed since if you are in jail, you have done something untrustworthy to start with ;P Please understand that I've lost count of the number of such "practical" requests that were truly diabolical  :o

chris

• Anope User
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »

can we discuss this on irc?

my nick is 'nothing', I've been idling on teranova past few days

• Anope User
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »

UnrealIRCd prevents non-opers from viewing channel ban lists.. unless they are inside the channel.
This link seems slightly related..
http://bugs.unrealircd.org/view.php?id=4112

chris

• Anope User
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:06:25 AM »

thats why you would have chanserv do it which the information would be then relayed to someone with appropriate #channel access.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 01:20:31 AM »

can we discuss this on irc?

my nick is 'nothing', I've been idling on teranova past few days

Sorry, PM here is a lot easier. I have a rather busy schedule and don't always have the time to irc.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 05:32:51 AM »

ChanServ STAFF command: http://ircmojo.org/katsklaw/anope/cs_operlist.c

It's ugly. I'll clean it up later.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:44:21 AM by katsklaw »
Pages: [1]   Go Up