Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m_connectflood  (Read 8264 times)

droolin

m_connectflood
« on: May 23, 2006, 01:06:12 AM »

We are running an olderversion of anope, i think 1.6.3 or something.  I was getting ready to upgrade, when I thought I better checked the modules that I had previously installed.
1 of those modules was m_connectflood.  This actualy is a module that seems to save our hide alot, but looking in the module list.  I don't see it???
What this would do is watch the connections, when it went over a defined threshhold, it would kick anope into defcon 1 for a period of time.
Please tell me this module didnt go away, and I can still get a copy of it someplace that works on 1.6.4.

droolin

droolin

this is a follow uip
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:17:04 AM »

I found the source to this.  Is anyone running this module against 1.6.4?  Is that the latest version?

droolin

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 10:01:30 AM »

1.6.4 is the latest stable version and when upgrading from 1.6.x to another 1.6.x you shouldn't experience any problems since no new features or changes are made to the 1.6 branch anymore, upgrades usually mean bugfixes. i myself haven't run 1.6 for yrs so can't check it.

and yes, 1.6.4 is the latest version of that branch, the 1.7.x branch s still development, however a lot of people (including myself) allready use this this. when upgrading to this version however there are so many changes to anope that a lot of modules no longer work on it, though for many there are fixes
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

droolin

Thank you
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »

I've installed a couple modules that I could live without.  But, the connectflood module has been a big help when we get sudden floods and opers are not online.  Small network, so it happens.
It's not perfect, but it definatly helps.  I didn't want to lose its functionality.

drool

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 12:18:11 PM »

ik you are upgrading from 1.6.3 to 1.6.4 it should definately work....

SpaceDoG

• Anope User
    • http://www.hypermutt.net
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:29:18 PM »

What IRCd are you running? Most have a built in connect flood and/or session limits.

dragoonkain

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:47:32 PM »

Doesn't anope 1.7.x have built in clone-connection stopping power as well?

pwpreacher

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 11:52:55 AM »

connect flood was nice as it tripped defcon, it was great for configuring so that if you had a sudden flood of users then it could trip defcon. When dont we all see this when you suddenly get hugh botnets connecting. I t was really useful for smaller networks.

I miss it.

shalom

Preacher

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 03:25:22 PM »

Connect flood was nice. However it is misplaced. Services, IMHO, has no business handling connection floods. This is the job of the ircd since that is where the connections occur. Every common ircd I have used has some form of connection flood protection or at least clone detection/throttling.

in the event of a flood it's best to stop it at the source (the ircd) not in the middle of the lake (services).

Just my $0.03 ($0.02 + tax)

kat

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 03:44:51 PM »

true, but disadvantage of ircd connection flood handling is that when a botnet connects to a network with like 10 servers in the dns a lot of clients will get through before each individual ircd will realize it s a flood.

anyways, personally i don't use it anymore, but i do have a modified version of m_connect_flood that worked fine as far as i can remember.
i didn't really test it, but it compiled fine and i was able to load it in anope so should be ok...
try it out: http://vips.hopto.org/~viper/m_connect_flood.c

edit: to prevent any misunderstandings:
this thread started for version 1.6.x but the link i posted only works on 1.7.13+ i think

[Edited on 29-5-2006 by Viper]
Pages: [1]   Go Up