Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: os_mark  (Read 4760 times)

katsklaw

os_mark
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:13:32 PM »

OperServ MARK allows for Services Admins or higher to "tag" or "mark" a registered nick or channel so that any oper level changes or queries such as getpass must be handled by the marking Admin. This is useful for troublesome channels that are being watched for closure or if the channel has been "hacked". This makes it so any other "problems" with the channel/nick are all handled by the same admin.

The MARK command will prevent any other admin from dropping, getpassing or sasetting the nick or channel.

SRA admins should be allowed to change the mark from one admin to another in the event that the marking admin leaves the network but should not be allowed to override the mark except for being able to remove the mark.

[Edited on 1-10-2006 by katsklaw]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »

UPDATE:

Sad to say I've witnessed someone wanting os_mark in #Anope, but when asked what it does the user said "i dunno". They then said they wanted it so they can watch the channel for illegal activities .. etc.

Marking a channel or does *NOT* spy on it. It simply stops other admin other than the admin that marked the channel from using saset, getpass or sendpass on the nick/chan/ It would also stop the nick/channel owner from changing the password as well.

The best example I can think of for usefulness of os mark is in the handling of nick/channel ownership. If you get 2 users that both know the founders password and both lay claim to the channel, a Services admin withou access to Services logs will not be able to tell who the rightful owner is considering how easy it is to use /cs set founder. Granted, Channels are rather protected since CSSecureFounder is enabled by default. OS MARK has other uses as well and nothing is in place for nicks.

OS MARK isn't as usefull on a smaller network as a opposed to a larger one when effective oper communication is harder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up