Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: few things I've been thinking about  (Read 8218 times)

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
few things I've been thinking about
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:31:38 AM »

I have a few things I think any services package should need. First I'm not going to argue/debate their usefulness. I've learned a long time ago that just because I think something is useful/useless doesn't mean everyone else does or should think so. If you want to argue/debate that's fine, I won't be joining in. If some of these ideas have already been added/discussed and planned/discarded .. great, move to the next idea.

1> Drain rate on DefCon. Drain rate should be self explanatory. However, what I picture is a progressive step down from any level of defcon over time. So if DefCon 1 is set, x minutes/seconds later it drops to level 2, then to 3 etc back to Defcon 5

2> Add some/all the top 5 modules to the core. Users are going to download and add them anyway.

3> Anope should be aware of all user and channel modes in it's own memory space and should be accessible to 3rd party modules.

4> Anope should not die immediately if it loses it's uplink, it should try the next RemoteServer in line and then peacefully die at the end of the chain or it shouldn't die at all and listen for incoming connections like any other ircd.

5> Services should be self aware of it's own bots.

6> Add an optional AuthServ. I personally like the idea but truly understand what NickServ based services is supposed to be. However, AuthServ seems to be gaining popularity.

7> HelpServ should be a trouble ticket based system, not just tossed out with the trash as it has been because no one wants to take the time to make it useful.

8> Far better public commands, viper has the right idea.

There is more to come, I'm just tired right now .. I've has 6 hours sleep in the last 3 days so I'll continue later.

Taylor

• Contributor
Re: few things I've been thinking about
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »

#1 - Sounds like a Great Idea. I'm sure some say an oper can just lower it later, but honestly making things automated makes our lives easier.

#2 - I've thought this for awhile, some 3rd party have been added like Adam adding  multiple owners (+qo)

#3 - Agreed, don't know how well they do this now, I believed they were doing this sorta...

#4 - In the latest trunk it does this now, and is configurable how long it is to try to reconnect

#5 - Do you mean as if a module was to join them to lets say #services it won't desync, etc?  Because that is indeed needed.

#6 - What exactly is AuthServ? Just to identify? I've never heard of it before.

#7 - I've seen alot of people wanting this, could be a great idea.

#8 - Which type of public commands do you speak of?
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »

AuthServ would allow for user accounts without nick ownership (See UnderNet/CService versions 1-5/X3/srvx/x2/atheme). In the case of at least X3, memos are also available via AuthServ by sending to the user account instead of a registered nick. Other afore mentioned Services packages may also do the same.

#8 See Viper's bs_fantasy_ext module for atleast 1.8

Andy church chose to include in his FAQ a Q/A in reference to why feature X wasn't in IRCServices. In short his answer was he didn't want to. That was the mid 90's and it's not the mid 90's anymore. In todays IRC market it's all about the users, not the developers and in my very humble opinion any services package that wishes to remain popular will cater to their target audience and not themselves.

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:26:18 AM »

AuthServ sounds interesting

Do you mean such as  staff, opers,  sversion  and those cmds?  I didn't see much use in them or anything people really care about, but ok

And I agree, Services should include what mostly every uses anyways. Makes it easier and more people want to use them if they are built in!
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 12:07:08 AM »

*Timed elevated privileges for example /cs aop #Channel add JoeNick 7d will add JoeNick to the aop list for 7days.

*The ability for channel owners to temporarily suspend a users access to their channel without having to remove them.

*MemoServ ignore. this will allow users to maintain a list of other users they don't want to receive memos from, current system is all or nothing.

*MemoServ auto-reply

*Nefarious/ircu ircd proto support. Including UIDs, extended accounts and their hostmangling.

*Automated DefCon activation for various scenerios

*On IRC log file search glob, boolean and regex supported

More later ...

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »

Never thought about this guess it could be useful, i could see where i could use it definately
I especially like suspending a users channel access
Memoserv ignore is obviously needed
auto-reply is a good feature i like
Don't use that ircd but its great to support it if its widely used !
This was always needed, like of course botnets are the most thought of here probably
Definately need some log searching from irc...  It is so bothersome searching logs after you download them ._.

also, anyone else gonna reply to this? 
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net

Zero

• Anope User
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 04:33:19 AM »

1> Drain rate on DefCon. Drain rate should be self explanatory. However, what I picture is a progressive step down from any level of defcon over time. So if DefCon 1 is set, x minutes/seconds later it drops to level 2, then to 3 etc back to Defcon 5 -- Agreed

4> Anope should not die immediately if it loses it's uplink, it should try the next RemoteServer in line and then peacefully die at the end of the chain or it shouldn't die at all and listen for incoming connections like any other ircd. -- I like the idea of it listening for incoming connections like other ircd's.

7> HelpServ should be a trouble ticket based system, not just tossed out with the trash as it has been because no one wants to take the time to make it useful. -- Support Ticket System, agreed.

*Timed elevated privileges for example /cs aop #Channel add JoeNick 7d will add JoeNick to the aop list for 7days. -- That could be useful.

*MemoServ ignore. this will allow users to maintain a list of other users they don't want to receive memos from, current system is all or nothing. -- Ignore System for MemoServ agreed.

*Automated DefCon activation for various scenerios -- Agreed.

-----
The rest I either have no comment/opinion or disagree with them. (I definitely disagree with auto replies, unless it was a vacation like system. with a start and end date that is required)

Adam

• Team
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 02:23:35 AM »

#3 and #4 are done and will be in 1.9.2. We have a lot more public commands currently in 1.9 than 1.8 I don't know if you have checked those yet, what else would you want added?

How aware should services be of its own bots? Storing the bots in the internal user list is a bit tricky as the bot really isn't a user. We do keep track of our core clients now though, which 1.8 didn't.

We also do have an account system but its not only account-based, its both account and nick (you can be logged into just the account or the account and the nick). We however do need a way to identify to just an account without being on the nick I think.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 02:31:21 AM »

cool Adam, thanx for the reply. :)

Aware enough for chanserv to know when BotServ is in a channel. There is an older cs_limit module that had an inherent flaw in it that made one need to bump the limit buffer by 1 because Services didn't see a BS bot in the channel.

Otherwise, It's cool that some of these things are being added. I admit it has been a while since I've used Anope and really I've stuck with 1.8. I'm waiting a bit longer for 1.9. So I added the comment in my first post that if some have been added, it's great. :)

account/nick system is cool, but want if I don't want to use registered nicks on my net? Is there a way to disable one or the other?
Pages: [1]   Go Up