Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't kick opers with +q  (Read 7935 times)

ShawnSmith

• Anope User
Don't kick opers with +q
« on: December 18, 2008, 01:24:02 AM »

Before you complain saying that opers should always be able to be kicked, etc etc etc, Read the full post.

http://modules.anope.org/viewmod.php?id=82
http://modules.anope.org/viewmod.php?id=79

Those two modules keep BotServ & ChanServ from kicking Services Opers anytime they're online, I think it would be a better idea to have this added into the anope core as a "Do not kick opers that have +q". Since only services admins and higher can use +q, and even then they don't have it enabled all the time.

This way an oper can be kicked when they're not using +q for various reasons, and also so they wont have to turn superadmin on to not be kicked out of a channel while doing various things (Investigating illegal material, or other abuse, etc etc)

(For those of you who don't know what usermode +q is, on unreal it's a mode that prevents a staff member (Services admin and higher) from being kicked from a channel by users)

Robin Burchell

• Team
Re: Don't kick opers with +q
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:27:10 AM »

Worthwhile suggestion..

I'll add it to the 1.9 roadmap.

InspIRCd +k
UnrealIRCd +q

..if you know of others, please list.

ShawnSmith

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »

I'll add it to the 1.9 roadmap.

Is the 1.9 roadmap posted somewhere for normal users to see? I'd like to take a look at it.

And sorry, I don't know other modes like +q/+k

Jan Milants

• Team
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Master

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:50:02 AM »

Off-topic: Ooooh...the 1.9.0 roadmap is complete...release soon? :D

On-topic: Great ideas...I hate having to superadmin in order to do my job on a network when users want to be...well...uncooperative :p
Always believe Murphy's Law. If you don't, watch what happens.

katsklaw

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:22:41 AM »

(For those of you who don't know what usermode +q is, on unreal it's a mode that prevents a staff member (Services admin and higher) from being kicked from a channel by users)

Actually, this is incorrect. umode +q can be assigned to any global oper with the can_setq flag. Where the SA status comes in as it's automagiclly added at SA or higher.

While I'm a firm believer in the fact that you are more than welcome to screw up your network however you deem fit. I highly advise against even allowing umode +q anywhere on your network since it can and has many many times in the past caused more harm than good. ie caused anarchy to the point of destroying networks. i can likely name far more networks it's harmed than you can name channels it's saved.

Opers, by RFC as well as long standing practices by networks that have existed for 12+ years and hundreds of times more users than you have are not "channel police" and on most modern IRCds not even required to be in a channel to affect it. In my humble opinion, any channel that I was "investigating" would accidentally fall victim to /os chankill for removing me after I entered and stated my intentions. This recourse would be because if a chanop removes you for doing your job, more times than not it's because you are about to discover something that would likely result in a chankill anyway. IRC is not and never has been or ever will be a democratic protocol. It's based on the access rule: "he who has the access rules".

Great ideas...I hate having to superadmin in order to do my job on a network when users want to be...well...uncooperative :p

since when did /os akill require superadmin?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:33:32 AM by Jobe »
Pages: [1]   Go Up