Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chanserv +L option  (Read 7202 times)

chataus-rob

chanserv +L option
« on: November 29, 2006, 03:11:34 AM »

hello i would like if someone could write a module to add the +L channel 2 channel linking option into chanserv this will be a good idea for redirecting old used channels to new channles being used without the use of a 3rd party ie a bot to stay in a room to keep the link active.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:28:55 AM »

This is strictly an ircd function. joins and modes are controlled by the ircd .. not services. the +L Channel mode *must* be supported by the ircd, in which case it would be a moot point in adding the feature when the ircd already does.

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 12:22:02 PM »

katsklaw, it doesnt have to use channel mode +L to achiev the same function. As Anope is already notified of every time someone joins a channel. If it were and option for ChanServ it could possibly simply SVSPART the user from the channel with the option set and SVSJOIN the user to the linked channel.
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 03:26:58 PM »

notified after the fact, so you have a join, then a part, then a join .. pffft .. useless imo. Not to mention that is a rather sloppy way of handling it. It's far better for the ircd to handle these kinds of events because they can be handled locally. It's best to SAVE resources, not waste them.

Resource wise it alot better to require the use of a client bot to direct traffic, than to use SVSPART/SVSJOIN.

Also I wonder which ircd's does Anope support that have SVSPART and SVSJOIN that does *NOT* have chanmode +L or something similar?  :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 03:29:31 PM »

You could say exactly the same about the AKICK system of channels. An AKICK only sets a ban on a user after it joins. And only kicks after the user joins. And also the same about the Restricted option (which doesnt allow anyone on the access list to stay in the channel) which doesnt use channel modes (except +b after a user joins that shouldnt be in there) to enforce the option.

[Edited on 29-11-2006 by Jobe1986]
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:46:11 PM »

I do say the same about the akick system ;P AKICK wasn't my idea. AKICK is an ungly hack most likely written to automate the use of channel bans because of the limited number of bans a channel can have in the ban list. Not to mention that the ban list is erased when the channel is destroyed.

As far as restricted goes, it doesn't broadcast 5 or more events over the network .. it only uses 2 and requires alot less data.

Lets just use a client bot and/or use the existing topiclock feature to inform users of the move.

[Edited on 29-11-2006 by katsklaw]

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »

AKICK is meant to re-set bans if they've been removed by accident; because it normally bans the user it is usually handled IRCd-side.

RESTRICTED can't be handled by the IRCd, because it doesn't know about channel access levels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up