Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Module Request - en/disable owner/protected  (Read 5033 times)

eggy

Module Request - en/disable owner/protected
« on: February 21, 2007, 01:25:40 AM »

I would like to be able to turn on and off the owner and protect modes on a channel based setting.  This way, the users don't have to use these silly modes if they do not want them..

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:16:36 AM »

This is nothing services can do; it's an IRCd issue

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 03:33:47 PM »

and even if you would get an ircd programmer mad enough to support the ability to turn it on on channel base, services wouldn't like that since they use the ircd to determine what kinda modes are available..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

eggy

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:21:21 PM »

I beg to differ. At least with Unreal, Ultimate, and a couple other ircds you have support for the services are the ones that set the first +q or +a mode. I beleive it would be a simple module that would tell the services not to set these modes.  I'm not saying remove the modes from the ircd for the specfic channel.. Just having the services not set them for the channel that its shut off for..

It can be done via access lists, however anope sets the founder +q automaticly... not sure how to get around that without a module..

(was thinking it could be a chanserv set setting)

[Edited on 21-2-2007 by eggy]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 11:30:45 PM »

eggy, it would have to be a module that uses it's own db and hooks into the user join. There isn't a good chance that it would be a core feature any time soon because it would require a db change.

It's far easier to have what few owners that don't want +q to to use a script to set -q. Our job as Network Admins is to think about the network as a whole and what is best for the network environment. Resource usage is paramount. We can't cater to everyone, never please everyone .. the only thing we can do is what is best for the network as a whole and sometimes that means ignoring user requests. As a general rule, if a user requests something that can be accomplished with a client script or bot, it's best to let them do that.

That said, it would be far more resource intensive for services to handle this than a client script because the script is triggered on an event that happens to a single user whereas a services module would have to hook every single time every single user joins every single channel, so a client script is the best solution at this time.

casey, that isn't a per channel solution, inspircd's chanprotect module doesn't de/activate chanmode +q that way.

eggy

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:50:05 AM »

Well, meh...
I was looking for some ideas on something to be done...
If nobody has one handy, then at least point me toward a starting point for making it myself.

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »

just look at the other anope modules and the anope wiki has a section on modules @ http://wiki.anope.org/index.php/Main_Page
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up