Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many bots are too many?  (Read 5686 times)

Koach

• Anope User
How many bots are too many?
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »

Using Anope-1.8.2, how many botserv bots would be considered too many?

Does adding bots as people request them eventually cause problems with memory, etc?

Is there any problem adding lots of bots?

I currently have about 40 bots for people to choose from.

Thanks

Josh

• Anope User
Re: How many bots are too many?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:52:44 PM »

I always use them to a minimum. If it takes more memory as you add them? Sure it does. I don't know what is the maximum that is a "correct" number, but depending on the size of your network, the more bots, the more interaction they need to do, the more people using them: the more resources your system will need.

I only have one or 2, like an "official" one, and that's about it. If users want toys so much, they can always load their own bots, like eggdrops or scripts.

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:18:02 AM »

As long as you refrain from using modules that put multiple bots in the same channel the overhead of using an existing bot in a channel or a new one is relatively little.. I m not sure if there s a build-in limit, but I doubt you will see a noticeable performance penalty unless you start introducing 100s of them..
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »

I created a few hundred for a test a while back and it didn't seem to care.

Koach

• Anope User
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »

Thanks everyone.
As usual, great information :)

CoreDuo

• Anope User
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »

As long as you refrain from using modules that put multiple bots in the same channel the overhead of using an existing bot in a channel or a new one is relatively little.. I m not sure if there s a build-in limit, but I doubt you will see a noticeable performance penalty unless you start introducing 100s of them..

`-services.7chan.org  (110)

Anope-1.8.2 (2369) services.7chan.org UnrealIRCd 3.2.x -  QM (enc_none) -- build #1, compiled Jun  4 2010 23:23:49

No performance degradation that i've noticed.

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:00:37 AM »

Sorry for digging up a few month old thread.

One thing that hasn't been covered is the actual need of bots. It seems the focus has been on performance. Lets ask, "Why do you need the bot?" before adding it. "Too many" is also an objective term. People such as myself think that 1 bot could be too many. Most services packages have 7-9 bots to start with, why would you need to add 40 more? Realistically you only really need 1 bot since all data is handled by the same process. Aesthetically we use NickServ to handle nicks, ChanServ to handle channels, MemoServ for memos... etc. In reality, Anope is handling it and each bot is respectively answering.

*Serv style bots aren't even supposed to be in the channel to start with, that is why they are U:Lined.
Pages: [1]   Go Up