Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Features for 1.9  (Read 24054 times)

Casey

• Anope User
New Features for 1.9
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:08:24 AM »

New Features for 1.9

NickServ

NOOP - do not add me to the channel access list - noop can be added to ChanServ levels autodeop -1 channel operator status disallowed

can use wildcards for forbid *nick* will stop all names with nick in them and change their name when they are using a forbidden nick

ChanServ

TOPICLOCK - users with the topic access can change the topic using /topic and ChanServ will change the topic back to what it was for users with no access

when ChanServ puts on the channel topic,  ChanServ removes the extra spaces from the channel topic - have ChanServ include the extra spaces in the topic

when a user has been added to the channel access list,  have ChanServ automatically give ops to the user

can set your own access level numbers as default for new channels

can use wildcards for forbid / suspend #*channel* will stop all names with channel in them

option to have ChanServ join every registered channel on startup / re-join every channel on netsplits the empty ones

oper only register channels like #*network.name* that only opers can register

MemoServ

channel memos to each user's MemoServ box

any user can send memos to any channel - users need to be on the channel access list to send memos to the channel

MemoServ staff memos and all registered users - add a prefix to the memo like All Staff and All Users attached to the memo

BotServ

have your own kick reasons

bad nicks

multiple fantasy triggers can be used instead of just the one trigger - ! `

General

automatically reconnect Services after they have crashed

have the commands aligned on the left instead of in the middle

neaten up ChanServ / NickServ info display etc etc to look neat

Atheme Services info display

-ChanServ- Information on #Casey:
-ChanServ- Founder      : Casey
-ChanServ- Successor   : (none)
-ChanServ- Registered   : Dec 18 19:30:37 2008 (23 seconds ago)
-ChanServ- Mode lock    : +nt-lk
-ChanServ- Flags          : VERBOSE GUARD FANTASY
-ChanServ- *** End of Info ***

Anope info display

-ChanServ- Information for channel #Casey:
-ChanServ-          Founder: Casey
-ChanServ-     Description: #Casey
-ChanServ-      Registered: Dec 18 19:38:40 2008 EST
-ChanServ-       Last used: Dec 18 19:38:40 2008 EST
-ChanServ- For more verbose information, type /msg ChanServ INFO #Casey ALL.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:39:42 AM by Casey »

Naram Qashat

• Team
    • CBX's Sprite Animations
Re: Ideas for 1.9
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 12:07:49 AM »

Most of these ideas seem doable.  A few issues with some of them, though.

For the ChanServ removing spaces one, from my understanding, that would be dependent on the IRC client used as well as the IRCd in use.  The reason for this is that some IRC clients will do the space stripping when using a command (like /cs topic <whatever>), and that's something that Anope would have no control over.  Same in the situation of an IRCd stripping spaces, which is probably less common.

For the ChanServ topiclock one, the whole purpose of ChanServ's current topiclock is that you can't change the topic with the /topic command.  To change that would mean it's no longer a topic lock.

For Services reconnecting after a crash, that's not possible.  If Anope has crashed, it can't just magically restart itself.

Casey

• Anope User
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 04:58:15 AM »

I am using InspIRCd 1.2 and Atheme does include the extra spaces in the topic with mIRC and XChat,  and IRCServices on InspIRCd 1.1 does include the spaces aswell.

Atheme has a built-in crontab thing that re-connects to the uplink every X seconds specified in the conf,  and thought of having it in Anope aswell.

Naram Qashat

• Team
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 02:39:12 PM »

Hmm, then we might have to look to see why the spaces are being stripped.

Using crontab seems like it would work.  Dunno why I didn't think about that.  That would be possible.

Trystan Scott Lee

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »

Extra spaces stripped

Granted much has changed since the old days but back when it was put in it was to deal with a way to crash services

Anope Version 1.5.13
--------------------
Provided by Anope Dev.  <dev@anope.org>
2004/01/30  Fixed malformed buffer bug                                (0000398)

Okay how this affected anope

1. Commands take in account the buffer is formed like this for all commands, buffer containing what command, params etc...
sender PRIVMSG target COMMAND buffer

2. If one was to craft a message that sent an extra space after command like so (I put <space> to show it better)
sender PRIVMSG target COMMAND<space><space>buffer

3. Without stripping anope would look at it and go
    - COMMAND - lets say TOPIC
    - Well TOPIC needs two params the channel and topic, split at <space>
    - Okay channel name is <space> or NULL
    - Topic is the rest

4. At this point many of the commands never bothered to check if the params were NULL, so what to do, the huge fix of fixing each command to NULL check to avoid crash or strip extra white space. The simple was to strip white and get back to the rest

Over time many of the commands were fixed up to prevent such a problem. However the stripping remained.

The fixes are

1. Make all commands that accept user input be NULL checked to avoid this
2. Keep stripping white space
3. Make the commands not reply in strtok() and take commands as char arrays

Just my two cents..

my God my tourniquet, return to me salvation

Naram Qashat

• Team
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:11:31 PM »

Ah, I see.  If that's the case, then it may be possible to fix this in the future when we replace the current strtok usage for commands with a better command parser.

Casey

• Anope User
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »

MemoServ staff memos and all registered users -- you could add a prefix to the memo like All Staff and All Users attached to the memo.

Casey

• Anope User
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:29:43 PM »

I really hope this can be fixed with ChanServ to include the extra spaces when doing the channel topic.

Casey

• Anope User
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »

ChanServ forbid / suspend to use wildcards

#*channel* will stop all names with channel in them

and same for NickServ forbid

Casey

• Anope User
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »

NickServ / ChanServ admin drop any nick and channel - something to maybe prevent accidental drop of any nick and channels

TwinShadow

• Anope User
    • ShadowHime
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 03:28:02 AM »

NickServ / ChanServ admin drop any nick and channel - something to maybe prevent accidental drop of any nick and channels

Not a bad idea. Maybe to find a way to confirm the action before it's actually taken perhaps. Would indeed help with accidental deletes or something.

katsklaw

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »

Not a bad idea. Maybe to find a way to confirm the action before it's actually taken perhaps. Would indeed help with accidental deletes or something.

You know ... in the past 12 years I've never done this .. ever.

Personally I'm not opposed to the idea. However, I just think that admins should pay enough attention when typing commands and by just simply paying attention they would never accidentally drop nicks or channels and wouldn't need a "hey, are you about to make a dumbass mistake?" countermeasure.

Additionally, many of these ideas already exist as 3rd party modules.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:52:00 PM by katsklaw »

ShawnSmith

• Anope User
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »

Why not make a sadrop for services admins? This way they can't drop a channel or nick that doesn't belong to them without typing a different command.

Thus making it harder to do something accidentally.

katsklaw

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »

Why not make a sadrop for services admins? This way they can't drop a channel or nick that doesn't belong to them without typing a different command.

Thus making it harder to do something accidentally.

I think I like this idea better than requiring confirmation. After all, nick/channel management is what Services Admins are for. All other tasks seem to have their own SA* cmd.

Casey

• Anope User
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:14:30 AM »

BotServ badnicks

katsklaw

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »

BotServ badnicks

actually an older module named cs_wildforbid, which has been around for years can do this. Since I doubt so much of Anope has changed to make this simple module broken, it's very possible it'll still work on 1.8, with a quick 5 second code edit it can be made to only apply to non-opers, thus doing this exact task.

Unfortunately, the old module site is now gone, although many of the old modules still work. So you'll likely have to google for it.

katsklaw

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 11:07:03 PM »

Lets come up with fresh ideas .. not ideas that already exist but just not in the core. Anope's command set is still based on IRCServices, which was more than 12 years ago and hardly changed.

I mean, X3 has more innovation in 1 service than Anope has combined. No offense to Anope, but it's true. Let's look at more modern, newly written services packages and see some of their features that are truly useful and port them.

Hell, the ability to have ChanServ optional is more innovative than Anope 1.8 and only takes a few seconds to change. I vote for making Anope 2 the most flexible, innovative, cutting edge IRC Services package around .. or don't bother make it at all.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:14:14 PM by katsklaw »

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 10:38:56 AM »

Unfortunately, the old module site is now gone, although many of the old modules still work. So you'll likely have to google for it.

I have an archive if anyone has a request for a module but it was removed because there were far too many broken modules in there, ones broken long before 1.7.21 and module authors have had plenty of time to pick them up and move them to the new site.

katsklaw

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 08:06:07 PM »

I have an archive if anyone has a request for a module but it was removed because there were far too many broken modules in there, ones broken long before 1.7.21 and module authors have had plenty of time to pick them up and move them to the new site.

Most modules from the old site are by no longer active authors and such modules still work without modification, so there has been no need for an active author to assume development for said module and move it to the new site. I agree that many of the modules are broken for 1.8. However, I bet you still have many 1.6 networks as well as 1.7 networks that can still find the site useful. If you simply lack the resources, zip them up and email them to me at: katsklaw -at- msn.com and I'll host them and you can just refer users to my site.

Personally, I am extremely selective about which module(s) I'm willing to assume development on. I'm sure others are the same way, but old code doesn't automagically make it useless code and IMHO should still be available to the public as an unsupported archive. I've actually relied on the old site for code examples in the past and nothing wrong with others doing so in the present and/or future.

Charles Kingsley

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »

There were very few hits to the directory and the problems we had were people using the modules and having unexpected behaviour as a result.

It's all very well and good saying it's unsupported but people will ignore that and ask for support anyway. If there's a general feel amongst others that this would be useful then I'll put it back, but otherwise it's a list largely of broken/superseded modules.

Amanda Folson

• Anope User
  • O_O
    • ZomgIRC
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »

While I'm not a fan of X3, there are some very interesting ideas that I think would be cool. the first one that comes to mind is topic masks (basically a way to append/edit topics while still keeping a sort of style about them). However, X3 has a lot of things that I don't think Anope would benefit from. For example, using different fantasy characters for each service seems bit silly really. I've always found it to be needlessly complicated for no real gain. Making commands up on the fly, while nice in theory, leaves a lot of room for idiots to mess things up and come whine to us. 8ball is awesome though. :)

I'll give Atheme some credit - and I've seen a lot of people say this - their access system is rather nice. It'd be nice to see something along those lines implemented. A lot of things feel like Anope though so I can't really pick out too many features.

Epona (supposedly...I say this without having tested it myself) has good SQL support - which is the obvious thing people want. PhpAnope! Woo!

Some of those things are obvious and have been discussed to death, but maybe it'll get people talking.

As for the old modsite - I think it was time for it to go. I have a copy of it as well and would be happy to work it back into the new(ish) version of the modsite we're making if there were enough people interested to warrant the work. I think that more people use 1.7.x and higher though so it seems silly.

I know I'm leaving some out...:P

Casey

• Anope User
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »

any news on these being added into 1.9?

Jan Milants

• Team
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »

1.9 is still mainly in the stage of rewriting... as things get rewritten they may be changed, but adding brand new features will probably take place after it s been fully ported to c++...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Casey

• Anope User
Re: New Features for 1.9
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »

option to have ChanServ join every registered channel on startup / re-join every channel on netsplits the empty ones

multiple fantasy triggers can be used instead of just the one trigger - ! `

have the commands aligned on the left side instead of in the middle

neaten up ChanServ / NickServ info display etc etc to look neat

Atheme Services info display

Anope info display

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:38:21 PM by Casey »

someone

• Anope User
    • http://www.somenet.org
Re: New Features for 1.9
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »

Anope info display

imho this is useless.
many clients strip starting and endingspaces.
others do not have constant character size.
so you will get allways a somehow diffrent look.
==> remove alignment spaces/tabs, but (optionally) make data bold

-ChanServ-   Founder: Casey
-ChanServ-   Description: #Casey
-ChanServ-   Registered: Dec 18 19:38:40 2008 EST
-ChanServ-   Last used: Dec 18 19:38:40 2008 EST

also (my)sql is not a feature i would want to see that hyped.
its IRC-services and NOT web.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up