Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SuperAdmin List  (Read 14889 times)

Taylor

• Contributor
SuperAdmin List
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »

I've had a few times where I wanted to know who had SuperAdmin on.  I think haveing it listed is a very useful command maybe just add the list of Opers with SA on or None  put in /os set list If not added as a core feature, anyone want to make a module for me? I run 1.8.2 right now, when more features are done to 1.9.* i might switch
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

mooncup

• Contributor
Re: SuperAdmin List
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »

I like this idea. Maybe show it in /os staff though? /os set list sounds wrong :P

Han

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »

It make no sense to have permanent superadmin on and in my eyes its an abuse to all owner,
when you reconnect you will get on all chans, which are open, owner status.,
Superadmin on should use only for a short moment, when you really need it.
When you dont need the superadmin status, every Admin should switch to superadmin off, imho.

Greets Han`

mooncup

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:44:17 AM »

Well yes Han`, but at the moment there is no real way to tell if someone has superadmin permenantly enabled.

Han

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:58:47 AM »

Which User will look for it ?
And when an Admin have it perm on, the user will see it lately after a reconnect of the Admin.
After that, the trouble will start with the chan owners.
Sorry but i dont know only one Admin, who hast it perm on.
So it make no sense to add a list cmd.

LEthaLity

• Team
    • LEthaLity
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

I unfortunately know a lot of people who set superadmin as soon as they connect, I don't have "control" of services as I'm linked elsewhere. I think a command like this would be useful. I get bored seeing  idiots with superadmin on who have no idea why they may even need it, what it does, etc. Command should be for roots, possibly serviceadmin, if anything so they know who's doing it and can administer a slap \o/

Darth Panda

• Anope User
    • Cheap Software
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »

Well my hatred for superadmin to begin with set aside. Since only roots can use /os set in 1.8 and certainly roots are allowed to be superadmins or they most certainly shouldn't be trusted with root access. If you use a module to alter who can use set then there modules out there that can restrict superadmin by password. Additionally when a user sets superadmin on it is broadcasted and logged so anyone that needs to know can find out.

In my personal opinion SuperAdmin shouldn't even exist. The problem is that SA allows admins to act as the channel founder and there really is not clear need for that. IRCops are supposed to manage their respective server and the network. They shouldn't have access to manage every channel as well. That's just not what IRCops are for.

Many admins think that just because they are "admins" and I use the term 'admins' loosely, that they are entitled to complete God like access when the fact is that not only are they wrong, but they are *really* wrong!

I challenge anyone here to explain a good reason SuperAdmin is really needed. Give one good example that is inside the suggested scope of duties for an IRCop that has been either in RFC1459 or any "How to be an IRCop guide" that was ever written by any experienced oper on any network larger than 50,000 users.

NOTE: For this challenge, a support type network where users aren't allowed to own channels is exempt. I'm talking about the average, every day network like 99% of the ones in existence.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:56:22 PM by Darth Panda »
Some things just don't need to be fixed.
Less is usually more.
One meets his destiny often on the road he takes to avoid it.

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:49:21 AM »

Oh mai long replies i been gone so here we go.
@mooncup I thought /os set list would be good since its a root only cmd by default, and it is related to this feature.
@Han` & others thinking this, some roots actually set SA on and use it and forget to unset.... this is the MAIN reason I requested this.  Yes ppl do this trust me! lol Happens alot where i've been and sometimes you set it go afk cause your needed elsewhere, and you cant really have permanent superadmin on when you quit and rejoin you have to set it on, so technically its not "permanent" :P
@Darth Panda SA is still required to to use umode, online, and svsnick. I figure this is so that when someone sets SA on you get notices etc.. you can jump and watch what cmds they are fixing to use maybe? idk but when you set SA idk if you know (you should) you get founder level 10001 in all channels which if you need to takeover an abusive channel and set the users straight or channel list , this is a good thing to have.  You also need it to change certain channel settings or something... idk maybe not.  Some small network set SA on to have Owner status, since its their channels but they have a co owner that registered them and since there is no feature for multipler owners and/or founders they do this.

Having SA is a MUST, never know when you need complete founder access.

P.S. If you don't like /os set list  to have the list of current superadmins , post another command and what it would look like  such like mooncup said with /os staff  how would it look?

Thanks
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net

Darth Panda

• Anope User
    • Cheap Software
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:54 AM »

@Darth Panda SA is still required to to use umode, online, and svsnick.

That's correct and modules can change that to root access without having SA access. The main function of SuperAdmin is to gain founder level access to *all* channels. There just happened to be other commands that have nothing to do with channel access thrown in there and I apologize for not being clearer and saying that I wasn't counting those commands because they are not withing the "founder of all channels" abilities, which is where my real objection lies.

Code: [Select]
-OperServ- Syntax: SET SUPERADMIN {ON | OFF}
-OperServ- Setting this will grant you extra privileges such as the
-OperServ- ability to be "founder" on all channel's etc...

You should NEVER need founder level access to any channels but your own, there isn't anything you MUST be able to do to secure your network. That's what I'm trying to say. I've been an admin for a long long time and on some of the largest nets in the world _never_ needed founder level access for anything at all. Some IRCops can see channel access lists like akicks, access levels and xop lists, THERE IS NO REASON YOU NEED TO ADD OR DELETE ANYONE!!! That just simply is NOT the duties of an oper.

If you could please just humor me and tell me why you as an IRCop or admin need founder level access to a channel you do not own since it's such a "MUST have", I'd be very greatful. Answer in PM if you'd like. I'd really like to know. I've asked this question of many admins and I usually get answers that are for reasons you 1> don't need SA to perform the command to start with, 2> I get "i don't know, but I just need it". or 3> something so far off base that I wonder if the person even know what IRC *really* is other than how to spell it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:20:49 AM by Darth Panda »
Less is usually more.

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00:52 AM »

I like power.  End of story? :x
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net

mooncup

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 12:36:17 PM »

That's correct and modules can change that to root access without having SA access. The main function of SuperAdmin is to gain founder level access to *all* channels. There just happened to be other commands that have nothing to do with channel access thrown in there and I apologize for not being clearer and saying that I wasn't counting those commands because they are not withing the "founder of all channels" abilities, which is where my real objection lies.

Code: [Select]
-OperServ- Syntax: SET SUPERADMIN {ON | OFF}
-OperServ- Setting this will grant you extra privileges such as the
-OperServ- ability to be "founder" on all channel's etc...

You should NEVER need founder level access to any channels but your own, there isn't anything you MUST be able to do to secure your network. That's what I'm trying to say. I've been an admin for a long long time and on some of the largest nets in the world _never_ needed founder level access for anything at all. Some IRCops can see channel access lists like akicks, access levels and xop lists, THERE IS NO REASON YOU NEED TO ADD OR DELETE ANYONE!!! That just simply is NOT the duties of an oper.

If you could please just humor me and tell me why you as an IRCop or admin need founder level access to a channel you do not own since it's such a "MUST have", I'd be very greatful. Answer in PM if you'd like. I'd really like to know. I've asked this question of many admins and I usually get answers that are for reasons you 1> don't need SA to perform the command to start with, 2> I get "i don't know, but I just need it". or 3> something so far off base that I wonder if the person even know what IRC *really* is other than how to spell it.

Your veiws on superadmin are not relevant to this thread in the slightest.

If someone turns on superadmin to change a bot's umodes, then forgets to turn it off it would be nice to be able to see this in a list.

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:02:16 AM »

hes right so anyone else wanna comment on having a list of current superadmins? :\
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net

Darth Panda

• Anope User
    • Cheap Software
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »

Your veiws on superadmin are not relevant to this thread in the slightest.

If someone turns on superadmin to change a bot's umodes, then forgets to turn it off it would be nice to be able to see this in a list.

Then you should write it for him then since you are a contributor.
Less is usually more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up