Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-Owner (+q)  (Read 9993 times)

djGrrr

• Anope User
    • http://www.p2p-network.net/
Auto-Owner (+q)
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:18:05 PM »

i'd love to see something similar to the cs_accessfounder module integrated into main anope, or a much better module implementation, the current module sucks, and is a very bad hack which only sets +q on join, and if access is removed, the user gets founder access (+qo instead of +aoq), and must disconnect before access is revoked.

It would be nice if AUTOOWNER was a LEVEL which would be disabled by default but could be configurable like the other auto modes
P2P-NET Network Staff

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:18:45 PM »

i have worked on a module some time ago cs_fop, which would do the same as cs_accessfounder, but as far as possible without the bugs that one has (though it still works by making the users on the list founder). if all you are looking for is +q, it should be relatively easy to modify that one to give +q only.
note though that creating an actual channel by channel  configurable level AUTOOWNER - as far as my understanding of anope goes -  can only be done in the core. and thus when XOP is turned off my module works the same way as cs_accessfounder with a globally defined level...

i made it on a request of someone, but it s not entirely ready yet... and honestly it s been some time since i last worked on it..

edit: katslaw,as far as i understood, he was asking for auto +q, not the actual founder status... but even founder status, if they can get some1s nick pass, why wouldn't they be able to get the channel pass..

[Edited on 17-8-2006 by Viper]
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:19:39 PM »

autoowner would be a security risk since the only way to do it is for chanserv to assume that a user is indeed the channel owner without requiring some form of authentication. Very very bad idea.

Not to sound harsh but this is a lazy persons way to gain access to a channel. Requiring some form of authentication is alot better in the long run because it forces users to prove they are who they say they are.

I don't think you'd like the idea of someone from your ISP logging in to your network with your nick and chanserv giving them channel founder access based on them having your nick and/or same dynamic host. Now multiply that by the number of users you have on your network and you'll have the total number of accounts that your staff may have to recover. then multiply each account by the number of users each persons ISP has (AOL has ten's of millions by the way) .. that can potentially turn nick/channel recovery into a full time job for several staff members on any good size net and all because of a little laziness.

A much better idea is to turn NSModeOnID on and identify before entering any channels.

djGrrr

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:30:27 PM »

i mean Owner +q , not channel founder status, auto-owner would not allow any founder level commands to be run, just give the user +q automatically.

even if the bugs could be worked out of the current module; the current module will keep giving +q if u delete the user from the access list, which obviously is bad, the user needs to disconnect to loose the +q status; another thing would be to add a trigger on access change / identify so it would automatically give +q if NSModeOnID is turned on
P2P-NET Network Staff

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 11:36:03 PM »

only channel founders get +q, so you would still be asking ChanServ to see an unidentified user as a channel founder.

NSModeOnID does just that .. it gives ALL authorized modes, including +q when the user identifies.

Joeuser joins.
joeuser identifies.
ChanServ gives +qo to joeuser.

If joeuser is identified before they join .. chanserv sets +q on join.

It's just that simple.

[Edited on 17-8-2006 by katsklaw]

djGrrr

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 04:08:57 AM »

Your completely missing my point katsklaw.

+q (owner) does NOT mean Founder, founder is LEVEL 10000, which can't be set.
+q does not give the user any special privileges that the channel founder would have, what i want is a new LEVEL for AUTOOWNER (which obviously can't be added til after 1.8) again, owner, not founder, there is a big difference.

this way you can have multiple people with +q channel status, instead of having to use a hack module that hard codes in a special level (default of 9999) and gives +q in addition to +ao that normal anope gives

its really annoying that you can automatically give all the channel status modes in both XOP and LEVELS except for +q

i'm currently using cs_accessfounder which technically should be named cs_accessowner since it does NOT give founder status, only +q
this module has a lot of crappy bugs, that could probably be fixed, but it would still be just a hack module, which is why i'd really like to see this feature built into the core
P2P-NET Network Staff

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 08:17:48 AM »

just on a side note, as you've made a big deail of pointing out "+q does not give the user any special privileges" - why bother creating an option which as you've said, dosnt actaully do anything....?

djGrrr

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 03:11:22 PM »

because its another user level on the ircd side ?
+q does give you more privileges on the ircd side of things, it allows you to do stuff to even a +a user (chan admin/protected user)

And its perfect for "co-owners"
P2P-NET Network Staff

djGrrr

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 09:54:43 PM »

I've done a rewrite of the cs_accessfounder module for now:
http://modules.anope.org/viewmod.php?id=43

I would still like to see this become part of the core.
P2P-NET Network Staff
Pages: [1]   Go Up