Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw  (Read 25254 times)

Xaero

Raw
« on: February 19, 2006, 05:35:58 PM »

I have a linux version of Anope, but there is no raw. Why?

Symphonics

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 05:42:04 PM »

How do you mean?
There is no os_raw? The command isn't recognized? What?

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 05:42:52 PM »

read the faq.

SkaterStuff

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 07:43:03 PM »

Originally posted by Xaero
I have a linux version of Anope, but there is no raw. Why?

How can i enable the OperServ RAW command?

Enabling the OperServ RAW command is VERY dangerous and should never be
done on a real network without thinking about it very well first. The RAW
command can easily break your whole network if used incorrectly, and thus
you will receive NO SUPPORT if you enable RAW on your network.

Before you enable RAW, be very sure you really want to enable it, and keep
in mind that you will NOT BE ABLE to receive ANY SUPPORT anymore, because
Anope's stability cannot be guaranteed if RAW is enabled.

The RAW command comes bundled as a core module for operserv. To load it,
add the os_raw module to the list of OperServ core modules. But be sure to
keep in mind that when you enable the RAW command, you CANNOT GET ANY
SUPPORT for Anope anymore.

steven_elvisda

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »

If you really have raw please check in file serivces.conf

#DisableRaw   <---- uncomment this option you will get raw command but becarefull with it.

ShelLuser

You do [b]NOT[/b] want to use RAW.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 02:18:56 PM »

You do NOT want to use the RAW command and even some people have presented you with the information (which I find highly questionable) I'd like to urge you to reconsider nevertheless.

There are good reasons why RAW is disabled on several services.

[list=A]
  • Danger: It is very dangerous to use (unless you're a developer there is no way to oversee the eventual results of using this command. Your network can crash instantly but it can also do so in 3 months). Yes, it is also possible that no bad things will happen. Or is there... How sure can you be that the next encountered problem wasn't caused by RAW, considering its very unpredictable nature?
  • No need: You really do not need it (once again; unless you're a developer perhaps. The only faint remotely legitmate reason for using RAW which I encountered so far was to reset the usercount on a server after a botnet connected. In those situations you have bigger problems than a large usercount IMO) and if you do find a need: make an Anope module to control it.
  • Everyone agrees: On Anope its decently easy to enable this if you check the FAQ or online help (/msg operserv help raw). On other environments its nearly impossible. Take for example NeoStats. The only way to enable/disable this is during compile time, defaulting to no. Why do you think a service would do so, even when using it may present the only possible legitimate reason to use RAW? And if you don't believe us just look for yourself on the Unreal, NeoStats, SearchIRC and soon this forum. RAW is bad.
  • Better solution: I know this sounds like a rant (it is) but still. If you have a specific need for RAW I think its best to share it with others. You're better off if developers pick this up and can use the idea for IRC services like Anope or NeoStats or...  Its better to implement this in a Anope module and use it like that, than to manually fsck about with RAW.
  • [/list=A]

There....  Yes, this is close to a rant but IMO its what this forum has been missing out on. Seriously; it cannot be said and repeated often enough, and for good reasons too.  So, in conclusion:
If you give in to the temptation of RAW, if you allow your servers to wield this completely uncontrollable power then be warned. For once you start down on the RAW path, forever will it dominate your networks destiny..

FiXato

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 12:47:21 AM »

the only reason we have RAW enabled is to be able to put a botserv bot in a specific channel to keep it open (to ensure keylock-protection) without having to resort to inhabiting all registered channels.

Pieter Bootsma

• Team
    • http://geniusdex.net/
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:34:17 AM »

Originally posted by FiXato
the only reason we have RAW enabled is to be able to put a botserv bot in a specific channel to keep it open (to ensure keylock-protection) without having to resort to inhabiting all registered channels.

Even that is not a valid reason because that could be done in a module.

The only good reason to have it loaded is because you are about to implement a new feature and want to see how the ircd is responding to the commands you send to it, and only in a testing environment.

dragoonkain

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 09:24:20 PM »

This may sound stupid, but what if we want to make ChanServ talk? Or make MemoServ join a channel and harrass somebody? Nobody's gonna write a plugin for that, and it sounds (note "sounds") innocuous enough not to do any damage. *shrug* Unless somebody really really wants to write a Plugin for PRIVMSG, SWHOIS, etc...

I've always been curious though, if anybody would mind answering, what is it about the RAW command that is so dangerous? Why does it cause services to act weird, disconnect, cause South Africa to sink into the ocean, etc?

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 11:40:38 PM »

bascailly it sends a command to the ircd, without services taking notice of it.  For example, if you tell it to join chanserv into a channel, the ircd will action the join, but services will still think that chanserv is _not_ in the channel and you get a desync.  Other than that, its often been possible to crash ircds by sending invalid commands as in theory, its a command comming from a trusted source and may not be checked for errors before being used.

The fact you can so easily make the ircd and services "disagree" about the current state of the network makes it practically impossible to debug/offer support to people who use raw.

DragonRyder

• Anope User
    • http://www.XeroMem.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 12:28:14 AM »

is there a module to make services see adn know that a chanserv bot has been made to join a channel without using raw? we have a botserv channel adn we want users to be able to come in and learn about botserv bots adn see how to create them adn things for there own channel - adn @ same time we want the bots they or we ourselves make be in the botserv channel.
From the depths of Hell I hear you cry.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 01:22:42 AM »

DragonRyder

• Anope User
    • http://www.XeroMem.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 07:34:29 AM »

is there a way to remove os_raw so that no one can load the module - i got admins that are pi****g me off by loading adn unloading it just to make a bot join a channel.
From the depths of Hell I hear you cry.

Dave Robson

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 07:39:39 AM »

Only SRA's can load modules, admins dont have permission,

however, delete it from ./anope/modules/

Tom65789

• Anope User
    • www.t65789.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 11:27:40 AM »

you can just not compile it. u can also remove it from services.conf to disable it...as for ChanServ joining channels you can use the cs_inhabitregistered module or the one i wrote which actually includes a fantasy engine similar to the BotServ one. Might need updating a bit though for the latest version of anope because it was last compiled for 1.7.15

MaxDeMon

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »

-
-OperServ- Current Module list:
-
-OperServ- Module: cs_appendtopic [$Id: cs_appendtopic.c 1122 2006-08-06 15:00:13Z certus $] [Supported]
-
-OperServ- Module: cs_enforce [$Id: cs_enforce.c 957 2006-01-24 07:54:48Z certus $] [Supported]
-
-OperServ- Module: enc_none [$Id$] [Encryption]
-
-OperServ- Module: hs_request [$Id$] [Supported]
-
-OperServ- Module: ns_maxemail [$Id: ns_maxemail.c 953 2006-01-14 11:36:29Z certus $] [Supported]
-
-OperServ- Module: os_info [$Id: os_info.c 1162 2006-09-29 17:54:07Z geniusdex $] [Supported]
-
-OperServ- Module: unreal32 [$Id: unreal32.c 1185 2006-10-17 20:42:40Z rob $] [Protocol]
-
-OperServ- 7 Modules loaded.
-
-> *OperServ* modload os_rawservicesrootonly
-
-OperServ- Unable to load module os_rawservicesrootonly
-

MaxDeMon

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 12:04:18 PM »

Hello guys !

i m facing this problem can u okease help me

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »

Originally posted by Jobe1986
Enabling and using OperServ RAW will lose you all official support and thus we do not and will not support how to enable it either.

raw is a developer only tool and has the potential to mess up your services...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »

Heh, thanks Viper, I hadnt got to this thread yet.

All threads relating to RAW should probably be locked/closed on site.

[Edited on 20-6-2007 by Jobe1986]
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »

good idea... that would mean the other thread he started also should be closed though :)

i ve never understood people's need to have raw... maybe would be a good idea to remove it from the final 1.8 release completely...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

Jobe

• Contributor
    • Anope IRC Services
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 03:09:06 PM »

You know it'll reappear in a third party module though....
Your IP: ()
My IRC Status:

Come along and visit http://www.anopequotes.org/

SNU

• Anope User
    • http://www.firstclassirc.com
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 04:38:44 PM »

Just close these threads or throw them into a basket, don'T answer them anymore. Its not your problem if people wont/cant read rules.
It nice you always have the patience and go into conversation, respect, but I think sometimes you have to be a "bad" guy, and just have to write: "you currently lost your support from us not accepting our rules. [closed]"
So you give a sign for others and this guy maybe can use his 2nd chance registring under a new nick without asking such questions.

I dont believe these guys respect your work so you have no need to respect their usage.

greets.

n00bie

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 05:14:03 PM »

it would be nice as like UnrealIRCd such that we can disable OperOverride or such.. during compilation or ./Config
I am always doing things that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 09:47:50 PM »

n00bie, could you clearify your last statement please? I'm reading as you are claiming that you can't disable OperOverride in ./Config .. when in fact you can.

n00bie

• Anope User
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 04:10:30 AM »

Sorry for my bad grammer, what i meant was, i think it would be good if there is an options to disabled RAW while doing ./Config
I am always doing things that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up