Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [module] New module idea feedback needed  (Read 7002 times)

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
[module] New module idea feedback needed
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »

Hi all,

I'm currently considering writing a new module that will help admins confirm the identity of users requesting getpass for both NickServ and ChanServ. This module will add a /*Serv set PIN command and will store a single word phrase or number than admins can ask users in order to help positively identify the user before giving/setting a password for a nick or channel. the PIN cannot be used to identify with, just used as a means as a "hey, it's really me".

Both nick and channel PIN usage will be optional to support network policies. Such an example for channels could be PIN's for channels could be used by high level ChanOps and could say "I have permission to identify as founder even though I only have SOP access, but I forgot the password".

Please reply with constructive thoughts.

thanks,

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
Re: [module] New module idea feedback needed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »

What if the user loses this PIN also (very likely to happen when they even lose their passwords)?

Then your net policies should be written to cover that scenario.

What does your net currently do if a user forgets their password? When do you trust the user to be who they say they are?

No module can remove the problem of forgotten password, this is just an added security measure to help identify the user as who they say they are, nothing more.

Personally, I require email addresses even though I don't do EmailReg. This allows me to ask the user "what is your email address?" as a security measure. I can also then email a simple question to the user and ask them to answer on IRC to show they have access to the email account but just like any other security measure, it's not fool proof.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:05:54 PM by katsklaw »

Robby

• Team
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »

Makes sense, I also read that you said "optional" a little too late tho, hence why I deleted that post but that also was too late. :P

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »

Makes sense, I also read that you said "optional" a little too late tho, hence why I deleted that post but that also was too late. :P

No prob, it was a valid question. However as I stated, software can't count for all scenarios so your network policies should help make up the difference.

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »

I just use the 3rd party module  ns_resetpass  (Which I think is in 1.9 now.. not sure)  But here it is..

[02:46:17] NickServ: Syntax: RESETPASS nick
[02:46:17] NickServ: Allow you to reset your password in case you have it forgotten.
[02:46:17] NickServ: A passcode shall be sent to the configured e-mail address of the
[02:46:17] NickServ: given nickname. Once you receive the message, follow the included
[02:46:17] NickServ: instructions in order to reset your password.

Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »

that module requires the collection of email addresses as well as services having the ability to send email. PIN requires nothing special except human interaction with users.

The collection of email addresses happens by default and is recommended, but not required. The latter may be undesirable since not everyone runs an MTA and/or would rather not. Especially on Windows.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:59:08 PM by katsklaw »

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »

It's apparent that no one is interested. I guess I will just leave it in my modded Anope and not bother making a module out of it.

Thanks to all :)

Han

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »

I think the better place to discuss is in the chan, you are welcome to join  #anope katsklaw.

Greets Han`

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »

No one would be aware of the PIN  being able to be used on a network more than likely. But everyone has to set an email.  And if someone loses their pass, and never set up a PIN then the oper can just /ns resetpass  failnick    Therefore half of the issue is already done and the user doesn't havent to know about the PIN thing.  Nice idea, just not ideal to me.
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up