Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: os_dns IPv4/IPv6 Specific zones  (Read 8311 times)

Taylor

• Contributor
os_dns IPv4/IPv6 Specific zones
« on: March 15, 2015, 06:41:24 AM »

This has been discussed already, but I found myself yet again wishing os_dns could dictate a zone to be for v4 or v6 IP's.

I had a user wanting to connect to my IRC but from IPv6 only.  And yes alot of users would prefer a v6 zone for various reasons.
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
Re: os_dns IPv4/IPv6 Specific zones
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:09:45 PM »

I fail to see enough gain to program, test, and support a feature that technologically makes no difference what so ever. However, I'll ask anyway .. What's wrong with creating an ipv6.* roundrobin of AAAA records?

The technology already works and supported, ipv4 clients can't use AAAA records so it will be ipv6 only.

Lets also remember that since services doesn't accept incoming user connections, they can only REACT to what has already happened, not RESTRICT something that is in the process of happening.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:11:18 PM by katsklaw »

Taylor

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »

Do you not know what os_dns does?  Sure i've already created an RR for irc6.* right now, but anope manages my RR, so if one of these ipv6 servers goes offline, it will not be removed from the RR, (what os_dns does)
Cronus
irc.cncirc.net
http://CnCIRC.net

katsklaw

• Supporter
  • Anope User
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 03:08:56 AM »

Do you not know what os_dns does?  ... if one of these ipv6 servers goes offline, it will not be removed from the RR, (what os_dns does)

Perhaps if you had said that in your first post instead of assuming everyone already knew, my reply would have been a bit different.

Good luck with your project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up