Anope IRC Services

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Evryone backup command  (Read 8160 times)

n00bie

• Anope User
Hey Evryone backup command
« on: October 29, 2006, 02:27:03 PM »

afaik, services automatically backup it databases and write it to the services/backups folder. and as for the command, alternatively you can do /msg OperServ UPDATE
I am always doing things that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:18:23 PM »

To be clear, the /os update command writes its data from cache to the db files and optionally mysql. It does _not_ create backups. Backups are created at midnight localtime to Services unless NoBackupOkay is specified in the services.conf.

mezzanine

• Anope User
    • mezza.org
Related question.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »

Where exactly does Anope save the daily backups (relative to Anope directory)?
It obviously saves them in backups/ if the database files are in the Anope directory; but after moving the databases in a subdirectory called db/ (and setting their new path in the configuration file -- NickServDB, ChanServDB, BotServDB, OperServDB, NewsDB, ExceptionDB, HostServDB directives), Anope says it can't create backups. I checked write permissions and they are correct. I also manually created a backups/ directory inside db/, but nothing changed.

Is there a way to set the backup folder (maybe in the configuration file)?

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 12:28:35 PM »

only 3 reasons anope can't create backups.

1> NoBackupOkay is specified in services.conf
2> Lack of permissions
3> Out of disk space/quota.

As far as the request for config directives, a request will need to be made in the feature request forum and so you know Anope is in a feature freeze pending the upcoming 1.8 release.

spider312

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:20:09 AM »

I've got exactly the same problem than mezzanine and checked everything, there is no reason that would cause anope not to backup, but it fail, with no eror than « it failed » (anope 1.7.18)

I also would like to know more about backups, where are files saved, how to change that setting

It would also be a great idea to add verbose eror messages about backuping  (folder or file anope tries to write, eror returned, at least)

Thanks in advance

[Edite le 24-2-2007 par spider312]

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:29:12 PM »

that's all it will display.

spider312

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 11:04:41 PM »

up :/

spider312

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 11:20:50 PM »

Followin the lack of answers, i made my own tests, and answer myself, hoping this will be usefull :

anope backups .db in backups/whatever_you_configured

In mezzanine's case (and also my case) the solution was to create a folder db in backups, so anope can write every backups/db/anything.db

Maybe it would be a great idea to improve error messages, or making anope create ths folder in case it doesn't exists

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 02:05:18 AM »

You shouldn't have to create any folders on any platform, having to do so is an oddity. As far as better errors, Anope isn't a mind reading program, it can't detect what the user wants nor can it predict what errors from OS means 100% of the time either.

I use the *nix version have have never had to create a db folder inside the backups folder nor have I had to do it on Windows either, I can't say why the 2 of you had to. If you are on windows, Anope spewing erronious errors is no different and sometimes cause by the completely vague errors windows puts out.

In regards to "anope backups .db in backups/whatever_you_configured" .. it's not possible since there is no user configuration option for where the backups are stored so how can it be backups/whatever_you_configured??

Lastly, lack of answers often comes from lack of information when a user encounters an error. Also keep in mind that we are all volunteers and we all have lives outside IRC. Just because we haven't answered your questions in an acceptable timeframe for you doesn't mean that we ignored you. If our support level is not to your liking, you are welcome to demand your money back.

spider312

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 08:06:52 AM »

Ok, i hoped people would try to understand before answering, it's not the case, so i have to clarify :

I configured
Code: [Select]
NickServDB  db/nick.db
ChanServDB  db/chan.db
BotServDB   db/bot.db
OperServDB  db/oper.db
NewsDB      db/news.db
ExceptionDB db/exception.db
HostServDB  db/hosts.db

So anope will backup NickServDB in
backups/db/nick.db ChanServDB in
backups/db/chan.db etc.
And won't create this folder if it doesn't exist
I'm used to create folders i configured, so anope/db/ was created, but i'm not used to create folder that come from nowhere ...

Sorry for wanting to keep my folder well t despite anope's developers uses

I spend 3 days (as there is 1 backup per day) to find THAT, and i think this is not normal to spend 3 days understanding a such fool's error, it should at least say « unable to write backups/db/nick.db » instead of « it failed », that's all folks

I don't ask anope to read in my mind, i want it to tell what IT has got in its mind, not to be forced to read in its mind by asking stupid questions such as « create me a backup folder and a db folder everywhere in order i understand the one you'll use »

Sorry for th angry tune of this message (and full of mistakes, i'm sure, i'm not used to flame in english), but i think katsklaw's answers are totally not constructive, especially for an « Anope Quality Assurance », making me think he speaks without knowing, doesn't make the effort to know ... (not only talking about this specific problem, i was thinking it before having this problem, by reading this forum, but here i'm concerned, so i tell it)

I didn't any reproaches on lack of answers, but you say there is not enough informations, but aren't asking me any one, and answer a message posted after mine, it's a bit frustrating

only 3 reasons anope can't create backups.
Next time, add a fourth : « 4 ) folder doesn't exist » at least ...

Jan Milants

• Team
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »

wow... i must say that the problem you experienced isn't anope's fault.. you didn't read the directive information properly.
it says
Specifies the filenames for the various Services subsystems' databases.
it doesn't say a thing about a path... anope expects a databasename, not a path to one so it doesn't check it the path exists cause it creates backups automatically and assumes all db's go directly in there, not in a subdir....

This is imho definately a configuration problem, less then a problem with anope itself...
If you like me donate coins to 1FBmZVT4J8WAUMHKqpWhgNVj3XXnRN1cCk :)

katsklaw

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »

spider312,

I don't usually apologise for my posts, because t's usualy a misconception as to how they appear to many people. I have yet to "flame" you. I haven't a reason to. Yes, most of my answeres and posts are direct and to the point without alot of "padding" which I understand can sometimes sound rude.

1> There is no 4th option, only 3 .. what you suggest as a cause for this issue does not exist.

2> No one that is experienced answered this thread because it is likely that no one has encountered this problem before. Please understand that Anope creates all of it's own directories and files on ALL supported OS's. Failure to do so is only caused by the 3 things I listed, nothing more.

3> I've been on IRC for 12 years, a network administrator for 10 years and using Anop for atleast 5 years. I'm fully qualified to use, properly configure, install and troubleshoot Anope and your suggesting otherwise is insulting.

4> IF you prepended the db names with "db/" as you stated, then this is clearly a misconfiguration issue caused by YOU, not Anope.

5> Usually there are errors that result from misconfiguration, unfortunately this in not the case. So how can I or anyone else ask you for additional information if no such information exists? Not to mention that this froum usually works on the "If you know how to fix it, then do so" approach. That means that no one here must be a staff member to help. Anyone can help so if you see a user that needs help and you think you know the answer .. then by all means do so.

spider312

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:15:47 PM »

I'm really sorry for having think that organize files in a folder would be a great idea

Thank you, now i'm convinced that all files must go into one directory whatever their goal, their use, their type, or anything else about that file, mixing config, binaries, data, docs should be done by every developers to earn precious time
Error messages should always be like on windows : « it failed », administrators are always wrong, and should understand that by themselves, and read the fucking source in case of a bug

All my apologizes for the instults, now my eyes are opened, be sure it won't happen again

Thanks one more time

(P.S. i've been developping softwares for 10 years, putting understandable error messages, avoiding administrators eror in config files, and i don't really feel insulted. I came to understand, discuss, and why not, propose ... Now i understand ... Thanks sincerely to anope team for their great job)

[Edite le 27-2-2007 par spider312]

[Edite le 27-2-2007 par spider312]
Pages: [1]   Go Up